IGNORED

Ahoy mateys

Puddles

Thanks to heroic measures on the part of our Admins, I'm finally a member :clap:

Thanks, Admins!

This R1100RT found itself a new owner, who fortunately happens to be me. It's a ‘96 and had 36.5k miles (they are piling up though :Cool: ).

I'm here to sponge knowledge from the old timers, and hijack threads. Thanks, old timers! Sorry, OP's!

My last bike was an SV1000, so I'm getting used to planning my turns well ahead of time. The great advantage of this bike is that my lovely wife will now pile on with me (the pillion seat on the SV was “too scary”), which outweighs any of the disadvantages. I can even offer her a tray for her oddments (best name of a feature ever).

That's probably enough for now. I'll have a few beers and resume posting later, so I'll have something to look back on and regret.

Please stand by for photo, while I search “how to attach image from iPad”

I see image upload is disabled for the site and I don't have a host, so you can just imagine in your mind a pristine Glacier Green just like this one: https://goo.gl/images/ScBoCf

I don't have top luggage though. It does have a set of Corbin seats, which I just can't bring myself to like more than the stockers.

Edited by Puddles

Welcome to the madness. Great bike, I had a ‘96 and now ride a 2001. Do you have access to the repair history? There are several items that need to be repaired or replaced on the R1100RT regardless of miles. Not terrible but they will improve safety and reliability.

Hey, Puddles!!

Welcome to the fray!! Lots of wisdom on these bikes from members here. Invaluable.

I have a '99 RT and can tell you that the best, as well as the least expensive mod for these engines, is an AF-Xied by NightRider. Lots of info on them here if you do a search. GREATLY improves all-around engine driveability (eliminates cold-natured issues, stalling, roll-on stumbles, etc) by letting you adjust the AF ratio to a slightly richer and optimum mix.

If your brake lines (the flexible rubber lines) are OEM, you do need to replace them, front and rear. They decompose with time from the inside and will burst or lock up a caliper. Spiegler or Galfer kits are a DIY.

Corbin seats will grow on you. They seem too hard at first, then one day after several hours riding you realize it's comfortable.

Tires make a HUGE difference on this bike. If yours are old, (5+ years) carefully consider...

Posting pics is a bit of a trick here but obviously can be done. If you use Google Photo I can share the formula. There are posts on it somewhere here, too. And, "we need pics or it didn't happen."

azeakYtrrq9JUWqF4BNEk4m7o6-LXAPxMMh6wlv-IaQh6neVvsytoBSfAxpsIYB8sKAF4QGxmpzpZ-i0wMzoilehCgdbAeCvOx0a5Awbs1SSTsH8tpS5-9XJrwuCszxUrmstyi8zxWlr-cNTeZkeLGrLznZ2QyRpRqPX7U7HySHjvPXL806cmqpT3MS9PQfIpSagA2j9Z0an40gkFlqw7hktxwTEbQiB-Eh7Aq1fsap6PgPByWvqXqepr5RJkzZGYNzI56L-SthI5HqBJp2JLg_Yf55lk8W5nt5jCgsbKSo_Bs_Pcd32c9YjGok6zjCtn08BRwah8m99TcODYhE33NzPaub3_dojpBpdsoZmp35m4x9eWPikJ9SJ0zxcEswR8VYbEBUS1Cv9lCLrDTbQFa941L-Q7Alx0yf0Xies4Vfqsvo9rpjZ9Jp0NVzGE2Rt_DZPGnAo_reGTMn6w3qJ23Ws5YBtzZR28oyqchZU3hLQb7eVk8FvPhupbFy71GyOsNwpPqp3UvGE8l5VKq_fR2dO4_FQCRqSe3-legApm98A784uMKCYeRqxkgzljOKybgFv0zxRR7GE9AKXNuPyrY2Dwx6YkD0njVi20Fjwpz6hklAaL70cehb1A0k1c5WmlD_8xWIESFoF0Q0x3qOV88vPh_chrIy3=w1006-h566-no?.jpg

Welcome to the madness. Great bike, I had a ‘96 and now ride a 2001. Do you have access to the repair history? There are several items that need to be repaired or replaced on the R1100RT regardless of miles. Not terrible but they will improve safety and reliability.

One of the best parts about this bike was: Folder containing EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT dating back 22 years. All kinds of service records.

I am about to go sift through to see if the pushrods have ever been replaced. What else you got?

Edit: Can not find any receipt listing pushrods. Will replace at next service. I did find that for some reason in 2006 the intake "manifolds" were replaced. Any idea why those would need? Are they rubber?

Edited by Puddles
Hey, Puddles!!

Welcome to the fray!! Lots of wisdom on these bikes from members here. Invaluable.

I have a '99 RT and can tell you that the best, as well as the least expensive mod for these engines, is an AF-Xied by NightRider. Lots of info on them here if you do a search. GREATLY improves all-around engine driveability (eliminates cold-natured issues, stalling, roll-on stumbles, etc) by letting you adjust the AF ratio to a slightly richer and optimum mix.

If your brake lines (the flexible rubber lines) are OEM, you do need to replace them, front and rear. They decompose with time from the inside and will burst or lock up a caliper. Spiegler or Galfer kits are a DIY.

Corbin seats will grow on you. They seem too hard at first, then one day after several hours riding you realize it's comfortable.

Tires make a HUGE difference on this bike. If yours are old, (5+ years) carefully consider...

Posting pics is a bit of a trick here but obviously can be done. If you use Google Photo I can share the formula. There are posts on it somewhere here, too. And, "we need pics or it didn't happen."

Hi, and thanks to you and all of y'all for the warm welcomes.

Many have suggested farkles and mods, but I really like this bike the way it is. It has head guards and a throttlemeister, which were put on by Owner #1. I see no reason to mess with maps or fuel delivery as it purrs like a kitten and has no stumbles, lurches, surges, undue vibrations, or other such habits. (well, one, but I will post that elsewhere). The seats, I just have to play with. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my/its life swapping back and forth. Unlike doing that with wives, it's quite easy with seats.

The PR3's I have on the bike are misshapen due to slab riding and not enough pressure, but are <2 years old. I have a pair of Angel GT's waiting for me at the shop but am going to get one more good ride out of the Michelins first. I have had my eyes opened several times by handling issues that ended up most likely being a PSI problem... I had no idea, but when you say "Tires make a HUGE difference on this bike" you have said it all. Anyway, I am looking very much forward to having fresh rubber, because as-is, I'm pretty delighted.

I notice the img reference is about three brazillion characters long, linking to google photos. How did you do that? Could work for me. And that bike! It's almost as nice as mine! Eerily familiar, except why did you choose the SLOW color? :stir:

One of the best parts about this bike was: Folder containing EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT dating back 22 years. All kinds of service records.

I am about to go sift through to see if the pushrods have ever been replaced. What else you got?

Edit: Can not find any receipt listing pushrods. Will replace at next service. I did find that for some reason in 2006 the intake "manifolds" were replaced. Any idea why those would need? Are they rubber?

Although it happens, pushrods that fail on this bike are pretty rare. Yes, the intake manifolds are rubber and were probably leaking air so they got replaced.

Some items to look at in the receipts.

Brake hoses replaced with stainless braided.

Cam chain tensioner replaced with updated version.

Hall effect sensor plate wiring replaced or repaired.

Charcoal canister removed.

Gas tank fuel hoses replaced, sometime. At least not still the originals. The ones inside the tank.

Maybe there are more. Ask questions and we'll answer them.

Charles Elms

Do a search on Seat Jacks. Less than $5 to make and it will keep you from sliding forward.

Brake hoses replaced with stainless braided.

Cam chain tensioner replaced with updated version.

Hall effect sensor plate wiring replaced or repaired.

Charcoal canister removed.

Gas tank fuel hoses replaced, sometime. At least not still the originals. The ones inside the tank.

Welp. There's my October honeydo list right there. Thanks honey!

:Cool:

Do a search on Seat Jacks. Less than $5 to make and it will keep you from sliding forward.

Not been a problem. There always seems to be something(s) huge in the way.

:bike:

Let's try some pics:

(We opted for the Keen Riding Bootie for my wife, as she likes the feeling of bugs between her toes.)

IPFRj-0yGt2UqcsYNcHrQkjHJV8POvpM-SouhZ84GEx9Lhv75iC1HrZGQYyzWcVcmAGu3wDDX9u3OZtb-A7F4MYuUvgMcfT3_RRhZb5WiybfpvKufGx38Zx1d8YMTY3VCawFFW4IukPUtV1hIwl8I41OXF4Cb4cbisjC8nPwD51wLbOpki_yyB7INz9AQg1gaf8gHoFTdlvuTUjJZHrroL9NdJ69fGxV94jM0j191hWayArjN8RlrUf2MvZjehOS_ytiG_1mMxThwL18RYwz3xIaWdpPJDLet5GIiiboc008Q-M4bvE8E5Pvibpml-Fg_zBC-uUyOlV0gdNrY3AMAi5IS5Bpb4Bk-80XxzHNN0_vyO-pKIfrTgn7bC-cxshKOT492MY3ScdSfBUag3njhU1qiu_rKW5rcRnG01WhN1E0Y5CogUG7GNc6qjar9RAoXPYcEjNpQLF9kYJaUWfXrxsXKrxx05FN9nePB_22NUU0HsWlOUkhG1S9WfZYBDU0ibsbqo9esRSA82jjithIzcpEzKuOLnGwt4pl8rYLEqK4rbTTDjCZV9rwmiRRW3aNeBdNbp7e2v8YfZnGAUGtZ2dqsSIC17PL=w600-h450-no?.jpg

DZ1Fhsz6_YVMY_QPcVdkLAj7UMCuBWQgW-KwEkaxcUdKQz0B_4mWdabEvqSn8gS-8z4qmGCN_ZEjjT8RPs9Z8xazMi9Ww0GEYoImvOQFkrvNKUZ-MIKv4Ni6or4pAPkybq8fdqOAs9ZYXyxmL3KEAnDA65QARsyhk4Pa0vBsF6VD-FvT-PqJBtpWaZXgZIJenyNNX4IRo71C4Bba9p3riGRsgr2jnlFjzDJOyXl9tB6FBZwQr_1Jg_KKhRoQyHfC4p0B71r-kwWMrL2gsJLBu9ZX5Eo_InsBWwfjeeHADOdmKIxEiBf9iyejqt1rD8_Wrt9bONT0LQPvdrScoTIVMRiNMOFRR3PPC0CBuYhBFQI9SxzmRYOXv8fOjKNJDLc8H7lbbIya_ImCpTVtoosvC1z-CG46Cw-4es-OhEW-oVTGD5wq75Mmf0FNdEgwSP8mEO32o-zcIa3hdJ1OWrVWYXhV9lwS3XI9a-MWlCcVaz7LoFptvd8BTFKYtSklTZCNSACxHRj1R4v0eP4BoIf5iNwlefD1_qe48A3AMGC3_JjalonKh6vue-AjmxZ7mcbiM-ue-tSR36i4FVeBfE1nBD6nqwzFQsYpSRwKLUgfXHf7CSLBc3_oNkMwqeHuv7eJZZ0XHbSv7vl5tCXVwOlRfvw2oA=w600-h450-no?.jpg

DyfxavKjS7BJWJSb3LK6fau7j9iUvCY6IGUcP1OZMkRVw2WgiwKG6bjOwJsTQJ230jv9AOZYegdawPq2xYboBacPMbg5UNK4VMjQo66cwRpbG0s4FwN71cg6Az5Pm3ezwU1d62cF-ACtsfbdljzGkpCIhAn24QMGx38s1l8QBGt7OA4VzsqdLbbcocWlNQyzzPpg_hPpSkGhR_EgKEAMWEfQy1D9HaUYZMEDbd-k9syJjsYk8RNADdXod1yWQFApikj4KEfb4ewHZEft0N7sPk_9ERPeUsyQicd96eg_c6eU76Z8FLGcp8NH_8_VhiTKFE4g3OiK6g3HbhWVSdseLPr0UnNyNA9rsVT0utL8V3mRKJUN8ghiIryBlbRJGYF_B7KAvfYv4u-8mOQMNosBMVI1d9atCfvgJnSdQQAkJhprN3j66EQKpRUbGv7OUu0cmLwpOEDolPWIou6YiONekekO--7mzepbi6rV-rZN3nOU8X3_S2r1LJmmG52Uuu1xhvZ2h21st3tUMRkxqrSxLZBHgbOSYIHprPGq_h9n_rDGPCAn8ZaeN4Tel01Pz-0G5ITfRS0lmMcgW7HCD6oNuy_iX6mjqG-R5rcLwFe6F1YtDzmEwxL5wa6uhnDCgCYBvovylegavhFY4MO53L1g0zwBsQ=w600-h450-no?.jpg

I think Meat Loaf said it best, two out of three ain't bad. :grin: Nice bike and pics! :thumbsup:

Pat

Uhhh... it's hot which is melting my cranium... I don't get it. Unless you mean one out of three is ruint by my ugly mug, in which case I totally agree. I was hoping the girl would make up for it though.

The PR3's I have on the bike are misshapen due to slab riding and not enough pressure, but are <2 years old. I have a pair of Angel GT's waiting for me at the shop but am going to get one more good ride out of the Michelins first. I have had my eyes opened several times by handling issues that ended up most likely being a PSI problem... I had no idea, but when you say "Tires make a HUGE difference on this bike" you have said it all. Anyway, I am looking very much forward to having fresh rubber, because as-is, I'm pretty delighted.

I notice the img reference is about three brazillion characters long, linking to google photos. How did you do that? Could work for me. And that bike! It's almost as nice as mine! Eerily familiar, except why did you choose the SLOW color? :stir:

Puddles,

The PR3's are really good tires. I've been thru several sets but not on this bike. Have been running them on my '99 R11S for excursions up thru the mountains in western North Carolina. Holly Molly, they stick good!! I wouldn't worry about the "shape" of the tire; run them until you see air.

Google Photo generates the character string for free.

1. Put the pics in a SHARED Album in PHOTOS.

2. Open the SHARED album and select the pic you want to post. Right click on it and select OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB.

3. Open that tab, right click on the pic and select COPY IMAGE ADDRESS.

4. Go back to the "BMW Sport Touring REPLY" tab, click the PICTURE icon, and do a "Control V" into the Drop Down window (where the "http://" is shown):

2aoG-Cc-d3lA6KeTLZ5pj3Jr4YEmtFyHmucVXrYJT-Hwb5TeGGeo8NkfO75866QnI95ru9lN2PTXgCL_hPhkUfwGzVCO9dFrheqHgSfeo9bYmeznsSFVu0x5087Gl14ISfjTO9OTU7mjZQFuCtLDET5VsFb3Nj1LLQSbCJzV_otzNN3EEYjHrdsPZuGQCnvXa11BDtfeFNU09pVt_YmhF6NXt06Qd5xtLNCF8s-GUE5KR_aZJw4rjxbw7UAIlcXAmIl9sD2LMIV2G90S3fhuqYWArzbJlNKo8MUM1pTOfF5ZuVude4FB0uBZr97LwUW_WRI8U9sd5Z26Y_CHr0w4kyHSdl01n04dbwFv6RMSo7xRkiOpo9SPwVysNeDeys_fykR5hNXh1xfVXofxtsE0PvI0606GkT6Caqn03ZSem9_DFIzkJ5ouGCxnQa9GAnzOKMZY-jYdL-sARtj0QhokWsG8WXkFJaRAlpTkLH3rx1ZF4iBaWQeF3QIsXOrudwZQ6tsvEVcpY4p0kCO5pCQjoNYLaI7-3mLd3d0hcgvLvtkKX1cILtAJs0Xz4bwUkDR0stdhAKXi0qqwS92EXw4uNwKQZPd8YcnOXOEUh8bj5e6l_Ej6NPKNhBMl9rVeM9_K0xG4wBE8CTPqTJW7FSkQi9xcQn8NQOqF=w726-h377-no?.jpg

5. The cursor will be at the end of the string, so just add "?.jpg" (without the " " marks), then click OK.

VIOLA!!

This all looks very complicated but after you run thru it several times it's not that bad. It is free and it seems to work.

I think Meat Loaf said it best, two out of three ain't bad. :grin: Nice bike and pics! :thumbsup:

Pat

I don't get it. Unless you mean one out of three is ruint by my ugly mug, in which case I totally agree. I was hoping the girl would make up for it though.

A smiling mug is never an ugly mug! :thumbsup: My metaphor (think it was a metaphor :dontknow:) was describing that I couldn't see one of the three? pics you posted. Yeah girls can be pretty cool, especially the ones that like motorcycles. ;)

Pat

I couldn't see one of the three? pics you posted...

I can see 3... definitely the twilight zone for photos around here...

Not sure if it's only me but same result at two locations. No biggie, glad you're enjoying the new bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

terryofperry

Puddles, sometimes you can check to see what others see by opening a "Private" or "Incognito" session in a Browser or log out of your photo site, it seems if you are logged into the photo site you will always see all photos. Just something to try. To answer your question, I can see the last two photos only.

Terry

I had a 96 glacier green from new to 116K miles. You can look forward to a long and happy relationship with the bike and maybe with that gal who's performing the Heimlich maneuver on you in the pic. Welcome to the forum!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a 96 glacier green from new to 116K miles. You can look forward to a long and happy relationship with the bike and maybe with that gal who's performing the Heimlich maneuver on you in the pic. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. I like a girl who's a bit nervous in back of me. They hold on really tight. It's worth the occasional debris on the inside of the visor.