IGNORED

slightly overfilled R1150RT oil

Doug 55

Hi,

Did an oil and filter change on my 5X,000 miles R1150RT and ended up putting 4 full liters vs the recommended 3.75

Yah,dumb with a Capital "D" :eek::dopeslap::mad: the new oil was so light in color (vs the old way-overdue for change) that I didn't see it coming up in the less than clean sight glass.

I'm "assuming" .025 L is insignificant in my big ol' boxer motor but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Doug

PS did search previous posts :)

Hi,

Did an oil and filter change on my 5X,000 miles R1150RT and ended up putting 4 full liters vs the recommended 3.75

Yah,dumb with a Capital "D" :eek::dopeslap::mad: the new oil was so light in color (vs the old way-overdue for change) that I didn't see it coming up in the less than clean sight glass.

I'm "assuming" .025 L is insignificant in my big ol' boxer motor but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Doug

PS did search previous posts :)

Evening Doug

You sure aren't the first BMW owner to do that, probably won't be the last.

Crankshaft is pretty high in the BMW boxer so I doubt that extra .25 liter will bring the level up enough to hit the crankshaft or connecting rods. But, seeing as the oil sight glass is not retained with a snap ring & that extra oil reduces the crankcase air volume then there is always the slight chance that extra oil could cause an old sight glass to blow out.

So probably a good idea to remove a little oil (removing oil filter & draining it will get you some of it, then if not enough, screw it back on lightly then crank the engine to fill the filter again, then drain the filter again).

I did exactly the same thing in my 2005 R1150RT-P a couple months back just before a 2700 mile trip. The little extra oil didn't seem to cause any problems.....

Keith

Thanks all ... did X00 miles weekend riding with "no apparent issues" but getting ready for several hundred hot weather miles later in the week so good to have some re-assurance.

Add'l thanks DR for the info about how to get some-but-not-all of the oil out ... pardon-ez moi ignorance but how does that work oil-plumbing wise?