IGNORED

Waterproof gloves

Rick Ward

When I rode enduros waterproof gloves was never the issue. Now that i am 30 years older and not riding swamps it is. What glove(s) does the job and provides a degree of warmth as well?

I've never found a pair of "waterproof" gloves that actually work. Either they get soaked and eventually leak, or they cause my hands to sweat and get soaked from the inside or both.

The only thing that works for me are overgloves. Here are a couple from Aerostich link, Touratech link .

There are others ... just google "waterproof overgloves"

szurszewski

I am very happy with a set of bmw Atlantis gloves (I think they are the “3” model series). I have ridden in heavy rain for most of the day and the gloves do great. Relatively easy to put on with damp hands even as all the inner layers stay in place well. On a fully faired bike with heated grips they are warm enough to ride in any cold temp I'll ride in (down into the 20s). On a naked bike they are good for most weather except really cold and really hot.

Edited by szurszewski

I've got a couple pair of Held gloves that are top drawer. Just pick one with a gore-tex liner. All gloves have a big hole in them - the one where you stick your paw. And sooner or later, if it's really bad, water runs down your sleeve, and into your glove. After commuting in and around Seattle for a dozen years, the only practical solution that I've found is to keep a second pair handy.

Also have a glove drier at home. I've got one at work (I'm a fish biologist) that I made out of an old hair dryer and some PVC pipe. All the guys come in and use it. I put a count down timer on it, so I can set it for an hour or so, and forget about it. Link

I use the BMW Pro Winter gloves a few generations old but they still have them now updated.

Even in a crazy rain in New Zealand during an Edelweiss tour*, no water got through.

I quickly learned to tuck the guantlet inside my sleeve tho so water wouldn't run down into the glove.

The "All Around" glove is a bit lighter and still waterproof.

* Every chance I get, I name drop the one time I've actually been anywhere. Fantastic time !

What glove(s) does the job and provides a degree of warmth as well?

Over two decades of touring I had tried all forms of waterproof gloves. Glove construction is generally all the same (a waterproof liner). This has the effect of making your hands very cold and the exterior of the gloves swell and get soggy....never mind what happens when you have to take them off briefly.

Enter the only solution I recommend, the three digit rain covers from Aerostich. Totally waterproof while retaining reasonable dexterity. Add to that they rollup really small for travel (no second pair of bulky gloves to carry around) and we have a winner. They'll keep the wind out so will naturally add some warmth but you could go for a warmer glove underneath as well.

Edited by Claudio
...I quickly learned to tuck the guantlet inside my sleeve tho so water wouldn't run down into the glove....

Yeah, sometimes that works, sometimes it don't. Usually I can't get my winter gloves inside my sleeves.

Hank R1200RT

+1

Over the years, the seams will leak, though. Need some treatment for mine - any experience with sealing solutions?

I have spent a lot of money looking for the perfect glove. In my estimation it doesn't exist. Gore tex works but the leather gets soaked. I have tried waterproofing and seam selling and eventually the leather gets soaked. So I use over gloves when it looks like It is going to be a hard or long rain. Also I carry extra gloves.

When I rode enduros waterproof gloves was never the issue. Now that i am 30 years older and not riding swamps it is. What glove(s) does the job and provides a degree of warmth as well?

Morning Rick

The ONLY truly waterproof gloves that I have ever found (I have tried a number over the years) are mentioned in this old waterproof glove thread.

Waterproof Gloves-- click here

I have a pair of the BMW Two in One gloves, and yes they are an adaptable solution for most spring, summer and fall riding (below 90º F). The Gortex-lined layer has stayed dry in up to a couple of hours of rain.

But when leather gets wet, it's cold. Especially while riding at highway speeds, and even with heated grips. If I'm in all-day rain I put on the Aerostich triple digit covers before the leather gloves get wet and can stay comfy even below 40º F.

Mike Cassidy

(Re: Aerostich)

Over the years, the seams will leak, though. Need some treatment for mine - any experience with sealing solutions?

I've used seam sealer (intended for nylon tent sealing) for occaisional repair. Works well. Mine generally last 3-5 years so at their cost $47 that's ~$10 per year...relatively affordable to replace at that interval.

Hank R1200RT

Thanks, Claudio. I was hoping to see someone had done it successfully. Can you tell me which brand of sealer you used?

Thanks, Claudio. I was hoping to see someone had done it successfully. Can you tell me which brand of sealer you used?

Provided its the seams that are leaking and not just wear on the fabric, I use a silicone-based seam sealer like Gear Aid: https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Silicone-Seam-Sealer/dp/B06VW7SDSD

My wife's pair seemed to seep water through the fabric after 5+ years of use so we used a nylon tent waterproofing treatment to restore the water repellent characteristic. We use Nikwax brand for that.

Back onto the original topic.....the Aerostich covers have a fantastic elastic cinch. I've never had water run down my jacket and into the glove. The design of them also allows you to put them on/off with little difficulty due to the nicely design pulls/tabs. There is also a nice thumb visor squeegee built into the left hand cover.

Well I am old school, it rains on occasion, the RT has good wind coverage, an inexpensive pair of dishwashing gloves over the top of my riding gloves does the trick. They have deep collars which cover over my jacket sleeves and have never leaked, you can get them in brown and most people looking at you, if that is a concern, are none the wiser. Try it.