IGNORED

Google maps for Motorcycles?

Lone_RT_rider

"...The feature will take into consideration the travel times by motorcycle are likely to be longer than by car (more stops, smaller displacements, etc.)...."

I can see that might work well for regions where small displacement bikes are the norm (like SE Asia), but a blanket statement like that may not apply everywhere. I always wanted to be able to manipulate for myself, the travel times on my gps - add some regular stop intervals, and adjust the travel speeds, etc. You kind of have the same problem with bicycle routes and travel times. One person will average 10mph, while another will do 20.

Its remarkable what they're doing these days though. I haven't seen it, myself, but i'm told you can even do automatic route planning for hiking trails.

Edited by elkroeger
RandyShields

A couple of observations. First, Google Maps has been continually improving, so that it is really easy to use now. I rarely use MapQuest anymore, which had been my go to program off the bike. I love its ability to pull up locations quickly. It is also good for point A to B routing, with maybe a few other stops in between, but I have found it harder to use when creating longer more detailed routes. For my 3300 mile ride to Americade and through New England, I added a phone holder to the K1600 and ran either Maps or Waze while also using the Nav V with programmed routes from Basecamp. Despite the stated improvements in Maps for motorcycle riding, I think that is where the it will be less than ideal. But can't wait until they merge the Maps and Waze capabilities together. That will be a fantastic complement to the BMW Navigators with Basecamp routes, but I don't see it becoming the mapping tool of choice. Yet. Garmin needs to stay on their toes.

BTW, congrats on selling the Buell. I am sure your garage is breathing a little easier now.

Lone_RT_rider
BTW, congrats on selling the Buell. I am sure your garage is breathing a little easier now.

Sending PM