IGNORED

Helmet shopping

Dave P

Hi everyone! I've got an RF-1000 Shoei that I've had for about 5 years and am planning to replace soon. it's my 3rd Shoei, I really like it. Boy, Shoei helmets have gotten expensive!

If I went non Shoei this time, what do people like in standard full face (non opening) solid color helmets? I had an HJC once upon a time and I really liked it.

Lots of helmets on ebay of course, but I don't buy used helmets or tires. Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave P

I had a Shoei RF 1100. Great helmet. Went to an Arai Defiant. Simply the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. I have worn it on 20 hour days with zero pressure points, hot spots, or irritation. So, I am spoiled by that.

I very nearly bought an HJC RPHA series helmet. This is their highest priced line of helmets. And they don't disappoint in feel, construction, fit and finish. Price point was very tempting! If one needed to spend under $400 I don't know if anything else comes close.

Spend a bit of time at dealers trying helmets on. THAT is priceless!

I went from a Shoei RF-1000 to an HJC and hated it. Too noisy. Switched again to an AGV K-4 Evo. It was noisy too but way better. Overall, I would go back to the Shoei RF-xx00 series. No experience with Arai but I always felt they were the best shape for my noggin, just too pricey. As the poster above said, there is no better option to buying in a store. I bought the HJC and AGV online.

Just my $.02: Go to the store. Or several stores. Try them all on. Don't look at the brand or the price tag. Buy whatever you like best and, more importantly, fits the best. (one friendly warning - it's prolly gonna be the most expensive).

Generally, the more expensive ones will be quieter and have better ventilation / face shields etc. It usually comes down to how much time you spend in the thing, as to how much noise or less-than-perfect face shields you can put up with.

I had some schuberth lust, but they didn't fit my coconut quite right. Went with a neotec this last time around. Really enjoying the flip up and built in sun visor. Had room for the intercom too.

Shoei GT Air is my new favorite,I'm on my second one.Retired the first after 5 yrs.

Great air flow,quiet and love the drop down sunvisor.

JR356

Buy the one that firs you the best after trying on several. Cost should not be the object, you are talking about protecting your head.

Hi everyone! I've got an RF-1000 Shoei that I've had for about 5 years and am planning to replace soon. it's my 3rd Shoei, I really like it. Boy, Shoei helmets have gotten expensive!

If I went non Shoei this time, what do people like in standard full face (non opening) solid color helmets? I had an HJC once upon a time and I really liked it.

Lots of helmets on ebay of course, but I don't buy used helmets or tires. Thanks, Dave

We've been using the HJC-IS series for approaching 8 years (currently HJC-IS-17) which has the integrated sun shield. The helmet is well rated in crash protection and the built in shield is ideal for long touring (no messing with sunglasses that eventually hurt your ears/head on a long day). Very happy with them.

Hi all, original poster here. I just went to the HJC site and noticed most of the full face helmets by HJC are DOT rated but not SNELL rated. I thought all modern, higher quality helmets were Snell rated. Didn't expect to just see DOT on them.

Claudio, I like the IS-17, especially the idea of the integrated sunglasses feature. I was disappointed to see no Snell rating on it. Dave

Dave P, you will not find a Snell rating on any helmet with an internal drop down sun shield. Of any brand. They won't pass the Snell test. Make of that what you will. There is also no modular/flip front helmet that is Snell rated that I know of.

The HJC RPHA with no internal sun shield or modular design are Snell rated. Just like the Shoei line, and others. Arai does not make an internal sun shield helmet for that reason. Their external flip down sun shield isn't worth having.....

Concerning sun glasses, or any glasses with helmet use. I wear glasses at all times while riding. Not prescription, just because I don't always ride with the visor down. There are helmets that allow glasses to be worn continuously with zero soreness or any side effects. I have been in my Arai for 20 hour days with glasses and no sore spots or discomfort from either.

Buy a helmet that fits properly and allows use of glasses if that is a priority for you. Whatever the brand/model might be, fit is EVERYTHING!

Real- ok, so it's the pop down sun visor that takes the Snell rating away.

I've never used a modular helmet. I'd probably like it, but I think a regular full face helmet is good for me. I'm probably wrong on this, but it always seemed that a solid (non hinging) chin bar would be stronger than something that pivots.

As far as glasses go, yeah I'm wearing them. Lasik in 2001, I got a good 12 years, but now I'm back in glasses. I wear them under my Shoei every time I ride- never had any problem with wearing glasses under my helmet. or foamy earplugs for that matter. I'd like a pair of prescription sunglasses actually. Dave

Real- ok, so it's the pop down sun visor that takes the Snell rating away.

I've never used a modular helmet. I'd probably like it, but I think a regular full face helmet is good for me. I'm probably wrong on this, but it always seemed that a solid (non hinging) chin bar would be stronger than something that pivots.

As far as glasses go, yeah I'm wearing them. Lasik in 2001, I got a good 12 years, but now I'm back in glasses. I wear them under my Shoei every time I ride- never had any problem with wearing glasses under my helmet. or foamy earplugs for that matter. I'd like a pair of prescription sunglasses actually. Dave

I find it interesting that all helmet manufacturers save one (Schuberth) submit their modular helmets for certification testing as open faced helmets. I figure if a manufacturer doesn't have any faith that their modular helmets are as safe as full face, why should I?

Schuberth modular helmets are not Snell rated either as far as I know. Depending on your view of Snell testing, that means their modular helmets are not as safe as a full face helmet that does pass Snell testing. That would not stop me from riding with one personally, but they simply didn't come close to fitting my head!

On the subject of helmets, does anyone have experience with the Arai XD4? I'm thinking about a helmet I can use for on and off road riding and the XD4 is apparently designed for that. I'm concerned when a product tries to serve two purposes, it ends up not serving either. Thanks for any input or experience someone might have.

My Son bought a helmet similar, at least in design, to ride in when it was hot. Works ok in slow conditions and off road. But on the highway at speed it was terrible! Very noisy and always catching air in a way that was not good. He quit using it al all.

My Son bought a helmet similar, at least in design, to ride in when it was hot. Works ok in slow conditions and off road. But on the highway at speed it was terrible! Very noisy and always catching air in a way that was not good. He quit using it al all.

Thanks...that was one of my concerns. I had an Arai Quantum at one time and it was the quietest helmet I've ever owned so I wondered if they had figured out how to make the XD4 quiet as well. I'll probably just go with a regular street helmet.

Helmets are like pizza, highly individual in the preference department. Fitting the noggin very important. Here's the hard part, something you can't tell while trying on. Wind noise. Find a few that fit then ask a lot of questions from people that have used them. If you figure OUT a good system, please write back. Personally , i have an HJC modular. One of the few helmets that accomodates my odd shaped head, but NOISY.

Claudio, I like the IS-17, especially the idea of the integrated sunglasses feature. I was disappointed to see no Snell rating on it. Dave

In addition to Snell and Dot ratings, I also look at UK Government Sharp ratings. I find that their impact testing, relative to DOT and Snell, offers more realistic impact areas (front, side..etc.).

After a local racer had a mild crash that resulted in a nasty head injury (side impact), I noted that my $200 HJC had better impact ratings than his $900 Shoei.

Yet another data point for us to consider: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

As I was out on a morning spin around a couple of Finger Lakes today I was thinking about references to noisy helmets. Most times I ride with foamys in my ears and unless it's cold, with my visor open. Should I really be concerned about model A being more noisy than model B? Dave