IGNORED

Garage floor protection

simskid

Folks,

I have a new home with a new garage floor. I will probably, eventually, have the floor painted but in the meantime any recs for a floor covering , not too expensive that I can keep under the bike and cars and clean as needed? Just worked on the bike and put cardboard under the bike but I don't have much cardboard left. There are a ton of products out there but it seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks

John

Dennis Andress

Bite the bullet and paint it sooner rather then later. There's so much stuff in my garage now there's no way I'd get the floor clean and painted.

Lone_RT_rider
Bite the bullet and paint it sooner rather then later. There's so much stuff in my garage now there's no way I'd get the floor clean and painted.

Dennis is right. If possible, try to schedule this before you move into the house. It's hell to get it done once your in there! I had our 3 and 2 car garages done in SC. It was money well spent, until we moved a year later. :)

John Ranalletta

Don't know what your budget is, but don't waste it on expoxy that will chip and wear in time.

If you have the budget, get horse stall mat from Tractor Supply. It's spendy, but made from recycled tires so it's impervious to any and all things. I throw hunks of iron on the floor when welding/cutting metal. Cars do no damage and you can hose it off.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

Edited by John Ranalletta

John,

If you're going to do it yourself with an applied epoxy product I have two suggestions:

1. Like Dennis suggested, do it now. The epoxy adheres much better to new concrete that hasn't been soaked in oil and grease.

2. ONLY use the two part epoxy systems. Most of the big paint brands have a version and we've used a few. The Sherwin Williams one is good as well as the Rust-Oleum version at Lowes. Anything you don't have to mix together is glorified paint and just doesn't set up like the two part epoxy.

Sherwin Williams sells and owns : H&C Concrete stains and top coats.

Excellent products. No affiliation. Have done at least a half of dozen projects with this material , and it never disappointed.

John Ranalletta

If you have the budget, get horse stall mat from Tractor Supply. It's spendy, but made from recycled tires so it's impervious to any and all things. I throw hunks of iron on the floor when welding/cutting metal. Cars do no damage and you can hose it off.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

Is there a residual odor?

Johnny J

used tire smell or horseshit? No smell I can detect.

Lone_RT_rider
Don't know what your budget is, but don't waste it on expoxy that will chip and wear in time.

John, that's still cheaper than having epoxy laid here in Milwaukee. After numerous quotes a friend of mine just paid $4.17 a square foot for epoxy. Those mats are about $1.88 a square foot.

Thanks. Will look into the mats. Neighbor has something similar. Appreciate all the feedback! Giddy Up!

John.

John Ranalletta

John, that's still cheaper than having epoxy laid here in Milwaukee. After numerous quotes a friend of mine just paid $4.17 a square foot for epoxy. Those mats are about $1.88 a square foot.

1. you can take them with you when you move unlike epoxy

2. in snowy weather, salt and grime just wash right away