IGNORED

First Motorcycle and Introduction. Any Tips?

MrMillett95

MrMillett95

Hi! I just got my first bike and I wanted to introduce myself and my ride. I have a 2005 red and black R1200ST with around 66k miles. My grandfather got the bike from his friend who passed from cancer and he didn't know what to do with it. So, he gave it to me after it sat for a while. All it needed was the fuel pump controller and fuel filter to get running. I'm the second owner and it was in a little wreck some time ago. So there is a little damage on the left upper fairing and the cylinder head cover. I think it gives it a little character haha. But, she drives great and I love riding it around. This BMW seems a bit more special than some of the other bikes you see out there.

Below I'll have some pictures of the bike and some of the things I added to it. Please let me know of any tips you have that could help me with ownership of this machine.

Items added so far:

-RAM Phone Mount

-Dash Camera

-Dual USB Charger

-Hepco and Becker tank bag.

-Grip Puppies.

Full Album

TwI2PCV.jpg

eUk873j.jpg

Great bike and I wish all the best. Please take a safety course. I take one every year just to make sure my technique is good and to keep my mind about me.

Dennis Andress

I have the same bike!

That era of BMW motorcycles used a server driven brake system. You may have heard the servos run when you first move the brake lever. For long life and general happiness the system needs to be flushed and new brake fluid added at least every two years.

Where are you located?

Personally, if it's been sitting for a while or if there is no service records, I would change all the fluids,

Oil,Transmission,FD & Brakes + the air filter, to get a starting point for your maintenance

Probably the alternator belt also.

How old are the tires? 5 years is about the max shelf life for a tire

YMMV

MrMillett95
Great bike and I wish all the best. Please take a safety course. I take one every year just to make sure my technique is good and to keep my mind about me.

That is a good idea. Thanks for the tip! I will look into it.

MrMillett95
I have the same bike!

That era of BMW motorcycles used a server driven brake system. You may have heard the servos run when you first move the brake lever. For long life and general happiness the system needs to be flushed and new brake fluid added at least every two years.

Where are you located?

Yes, I realized right away that the brakes were servo haha. I shall take a look at the fluid soon. Thank you for letting me know it is important.

I'm in Northern Virginia.

MrMillett95
Personally, if it's been sitting for a while or if there is no service records, I would change all the fluids,

Oil,Transmission,FD & Brakes + the air filter, to get a starting point for your maintenance

Probably the alternator belt also.

How old are the tires? 5 years is about the max shelf life for a tire

YMMV

You're right. I do that for every new vehicle that I get. I just did transmission and engine oil. I ordered the required items for FD which I will do very soon. I cleaned the air filter when I got it and it looks good. I also have a replacement belt ready to go!

But... I can't lie, the tires are old. That is honestly the main worry with the bike. They are from 2011 I believe, so that isn't good. They are low miles, and garage kept which helped. In the end, they are too old and on my radar for replacement. Thank you for replying!

Hi! I just got my first bike and I wanted to introduce myself and my ride. I have a 2005 red and black R1200ST with around 66k miles. My grandfather got the bike from his friend who passed from cancer and he didn't know what to do with it. So, he gave it to me after it sat for a while. All it needed was the fuel pump controller and fuel filter to get running. I'm the second owner and it was in a little wreck some time ago. So there is a little damage on the left upper fairing and the cylinder head cover. I think it gives it a little character haha. But, she drives great and I love riding it around. This BMW seems a bit more special than some of the other bikes you see out there.

Below I'll have some pictures of the bike and some of the things I added to it. Please let me know of any tips you have that could help me with ownership of this machine.

Items added so far:

-RAM Phone Mount

-Dash Camera

-Dual USB Charger

-Grip Puppies.

Full Album

It looks like you might have after market handlebar weights also.

I don't think the OEM came in chrome finish

MrMillett95

Items added so far:

-RAM Phone Mount

-Dash Camera

-Dual USB Charger

-Grip Puppies.

Full Album

It looks like you might have after market handlebar weights also.

I don't think the OEM came in chrome finish

Yeah, they are Throttle Meisters. I love them.

Hey Andrew, nice bike I have the same but with 31 km on it. For now, I am looking to change the stock horn for a Denali one and then install SW Motech crash bars. I'll post pictures once it is done.

If you are in VA,you have a great resource,forum member Jim Von Baden(JVB) lives in VA.

He had an ST in his stable at one point,has produced a number of videos and available for purchase DVD's that cover most modern BMW's as far as routine service work and modifications.

Do a web search and you will find his site.

He intermittently hosts tech days.

Also join the local BMW club,lots of helpful folks.

Agree,take a beginners,then advanced riders course,no matter your level,it will make you a better rider.

Keep asking questions here,you will get lots of good info,with maybe a small bit of good natured flak.

JR356

Hey Andrew, nice bike I have the same but with 31 km on it. For now, I am looking to change the stock horn for a Denali one and then install SW Motech crash bars. I'll post pictures once it is done.

The 2005 should have the dual horns (Car Horns)

Hard to get louder than these.

My 07 had the pancake horn but still had the original dual horns connectors.

I installed the dual horns ( $20 each , Plug&Play) and they are really loud.

What kind of class do you take each year? I have been off the bike a while so I'm going to take the BRC refresher on the range. But I would see that getting old after a while, so what do you do?

Yes, I realized right away that the brakes were servo haha. I shall take a look at the fluid soon. Thank you for letting me know it is important.

Check out Apex Motorcycle Training around the NoVA area. I'm in Prince William County if you ever want to meet up sometime for a ride or just compare notes.

Hi Andrew, Welcome to the board! :thumbsup:

You have a lot of bike for a first one so I wish you the best of luck, it is a terrific machine. I'm sending you a PM.

Me; 43 years of riding, from 250 dual sport to an FJR, dirt to very amateur road racing.

My opinion and worth what you are paying for it -

1) way too much bike for a first bike. Park it.

2) get a 250 or 400 used dual sport or street. Ride it for 3 months, preferably on some dirt and rough roads so you get the feel for it being a little loose and out of control. Drop it, crash it.

3) if you can't buy a smaller bike or can't wait, ride your ST in empty parking lots (big university's have lots of them) for hours, and I mean hours. Stop, start, fast, slow, lean way over then discover you're not even close to touching down. Do it again, 500 times, big swooping circles, figure eights, zig zag through the parking marks. Panic stops, up to full lock. Ride in the parking lot at night. Try hard accelleration Try making the tightest circle possible, over and over. I rode my GS750 (second bike, first big bike) around in a bank parking lot in circles till I could do 180 degrees with my toes touching the pavement. - in 78 that was way over on street tires.

4) Then and only then get your big ST out on quiet, empty roads.

BTW, it's a nice bike.

MrMillett95

I look forward to seeing that!

MrMillett95

Check out Apex Motorcycle Training around the NoVA area. I'm in Prince William County if you ever want to meet up sometime for a ride or just compare notes.

Actually, I took the Apex course to get my license! I took the one that was at George Mason. I would definitely meet sometime! I want to know some more experienced riders and BMW owners.

What kind of class do you take each year? I have been off the bike a while so I'm going to take the BRC refresher on the range. But I would see that getting old after a while, so what do you do?

Actually, I took the Apex course to get my license! I took the one that was at George Mason. I would definitely meet sometime! I want to know some more experienced riders and BMW owners. Send me a PM sometime!

MrMillett95
Me; 43 years of riding, from 250 dual sport to an FJR, dirt to very amateur road racing.

1) way too much bike for a first bike. Park it.

2) get a 250 or 400 used dual sport or street. Ride it for 3 months, preferably on some dirt and rough roads so you get the feel for it being a little loose and out of control. Drop it, crash it.

3) if you can't buy a smaller bike or can't wait, ride your ST in empty parking lots (big university's have lots of them) for hours, and I mean hours. Stop, start, fast, slow, lean way over then discover you're not even close to touching down. Do it again, 500 times, big swooping circles, figure eights, zig zag through the parking marks. Panic stops, up to full lock. Ride in the parking lot at night. Try hard accelleration Try making the tightest circle possible, over and over. I rode my GS750 (second bike, first big bike) around in a bank parking lot in circles till I could do 180 degrees with my toes touching the pavement. - in 78 that was way over on street tires.

4) Then and only then get your big ST out on quiet, empty roads.

BTW, it's a nice bike.

I totally understand what you are saying. I got the motorcycle for free in a period of my life where there was no way I could ever spend money on a motorcycle. Believe it or not, I got it for free! Yes...free. So, unfortunately, there is no way I could ever afford another just to learn on haha. I've put on about 900 miles on this bike and a few hundred more on some others. So far so good! So, I'll have to stick to this and learn on it as I go.

You are completely right about practicing more on the skills. And yes, another cheapo bike would be an awesome tool for that. I have practiced full throttle acceleration and full stops engaging ABS. But, in terms of corning and such, it is something I should work on. Part of my reason for waiting on that is that my tires are regrettably old and I don't trust them at full tilt. I will be getting new ones soon when I have the money. Thank you for the tips and replying to my thread!

Hi Andrew, you are getting a lot of advise to digest. The best advise I can give on the cornering of your bike is to stay in your comfort zone. Your comfort zone should be conservative with very little riding experience. Allow yourself a long learning curve to master the art of cornering. I was fortunate to have started riding when we started on small bikes and I had many thousands of street miles under my belt before I owned a bike as fast as your ST. One quick tip today, have you checked your tire pressures??? Fairly important to check before you ride for proper bike handling. I use 36F, 41R on my ST. It will be awhile before you will be ready for this, OK? Riding the Dragon

Actually, I took the Apex course to get my license! I took the one that was at George Mason. I would definitely meet sometime! I want to know some more experienced riders and BMW owners. Send me a PM sometime!

Nice thing about Apex is that they give you discounts on additional classes. I just signed up for the BRC refresher on Aug 26, so it's all range time. I'm debating using their bikes or mine. Might switch halfway through. It's all exercises like described above. They have seats left!

I come from an R65, which was old and slow. I never had a lot of time on it, because it was never a priority. The new R1150R is way faster than that one was. When I was looking and saw an ST for sale, I knew that was too much bike for me. I'm amazed at the capabilities of this one. Be careful as the others have said.

So, I can't say that I'm a more experienced rider, but I can say I'm a more experiences "wrencher".

I totally understand what you are saying. I got the motorcycle for free in a period of my life where there was no way I could ever spend money on a motorcycle. Believe it or not, I got it for free! Yes...free. So, unfortunately, there is no way I could ever afford another just to learn on haha. I've put on about 900 miles on this bike and a few hundred more on some others. So far so good! So, I'll have to stick to this and learn on it as I go.

You are completely right about practicing more on the skills. And yes, another cheapo bike would be an awesome tool for that. I have practiced full throttle acceleration and full stops engaging ABS. But, in terms of corning and such, it is something I should work on. Part of my reason for waiting on that is that my tires are regrettably old and I don't trust them at full tilt. I will be getting new ones soon when I have the money. Thank you for the tips and replying to my thread!

Well it sounds like you're off to a good start, Have fun.

I wish you nothing but great rides.

Andrew, there is only one tip I'd like to pass on to you. I have a label on my instrument panel - GYHOOYA? - which stands for Got Your Head Out Of Your Ass? . I'm forced to look at it every time I ride. Keep your head out of your ass. Set and keep personal minimums, like never driving with ANY alcohol on board. As others have said, take safety courses. And, for pete's sake, have fun!

Dave Long