IGNORED

EWS warning indication

Tourmaster

2012 R1200RT...I'm on a 3 week touring vacation. July 19 the EWS warning appeared at the first startup of the day. There are no other keys on the ring, the spare key is in the right side pannier. The bike wouldn't crank over, completely imobile. Turned the key off, removed it and reinstalled it in the ignition, the fault was gone and it started as usual.

July 22, the same warning appeared after riding for the day, I stopped for about 10 minutes to pick up supplies (key not removed, turned off, but not to the lock position). Same senario as before, remove the key, reinsert, away it goes. It had rained both days when it failed. 3 weeks ago I installed LED driving lamps (relay triggered by the parking light)

I couldn't find anything in the camhead search, another forum says it was a problem years ago (up to 2008 ish) but has since been very infrequent.

Any idea how long I have before it completely craps out?

Is there any way to override / bi-pass / or defeate the anti theft system, should it decide to not self reset with a key reinsertion?

Thanks, Rick

There sometimes is no logical answer or reason. One suggestion since you are on the road is to swap keys. Start using the one in the saddlebag just for kicks and see what happens.

2012 R1200RT...I'm on a 3 week touring vacation. July 19 the EWS warning appeared at the first startup of the day. There are no other keys on the ring, the spare key is in the right side pannier. The bike wouldn't crank over, completely imobile. Turned the key off, removed it and reinstalled it in the ignition, the fault was gone and it started as usual.

July 22, the same warning appeared after riding for the day, I stopped for about 10 minutes to pick up supplies (key not removed, turned off, but not to the lock position). Same senario as before, remove the key, reinsert, away it goes. It had rained both days when it failed. 3 weeks ago I installed LED driving lamps (relay triggered by the parking light)

I couldn't find anything in the camhead search, another forum says it was a problem years ago (up to 2008 ish) but has since been very infrequent.

Any idea how long I have before it completely craps out?

Is there any way to override / bi-pass / or defeate the anti theft system, should it decide to not self reset with a key reinsertion?

Thanks, Rick

Morning Rick

There is no workaround to get them started if they go into EWS lockout other than to keep trying the key or try a backup key.

Your problem could be a key problem, or a problem with the the antenna ring that reads the key pellet, or some form of RFI interference (possibly those LED lights but only if they come on before, during, or quickly after the key turn on).

Are you using a tank bag? If so then anything in that tank bag or mounted to the handlebars like a cell phone, spot, or other electronics? If so then try moving the electronics to another location (kind of a long shot on this but worth a try).

Until you get that EWS warning under control I wouldn't venture too far from civilization as recovering an EWS locked bike from a remote location can be a REAL PAIN.

You might call you selling dealer (if they are a friendly dealer) and tell them about your EWS issue, then ask them if they will overnight you a new antenna ring to where you will be staying next day. You can tape the spare key (if it has a pellet in it) into the new antenna ring then plug the new antenna ring into the bike's wire harness (doesn't need to bolted on or completely installed) . That by-passes the original key & original antenna ring & in most cases allows starting the engine & trip completion.

DR, Tri750,

I will try the second key.

I do carry a cel and tablet in the tank bag, will move both to the tour pack and see what happens. If I get another failure I'll contact my dealer for a new ring.

In the mean time thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Also have a bar mounted GPS, it will go on AFTER the bike is started.

Morning Tourmaster

I was in kind of a hurry this morning as I was running late-- I forgot to ask-- EXACTLY WHEN does the EWS appear? At first key-on, or after trying to crank engine?

If the EWS doesn't come on at key-on (right after dash is readable) then try waiting until dash fully goes through it's boot up then try starting (If EWS comes on then don't even bother trying to start engine).

Hi D.R.

The warning appears as soon as the key is turned to the on position, at that point it will not crank.

Just curious, is the 'handshake' a once only event at key on, or does the bike monitor the key /antenna ring for compatibality....I guess what I'm asking is can the bike suddenly decide to stop running if the key or ring are defective?

Thanks, Rick

Morning Tourmaster

The warning appears as soon as the key is turned to the on position, at that point it will not crank.--This almost always indicates a bad antenna ring or a key to bike mismatch (bike electronics doesn't recognize key)

Just curious, is the 'handshake' a once only event at key on, or does the bike monitor the key /antenna ring for compatibility....I guess what I'm asking is can the bike suddenly decide to stop running if the key or ring are defective?--It is just an initial key pellet recognition so shouldn't cause a quit while riding (at least I haven't ever seen one quit running after started & early on we had a number of 1200 bikes have EWS issues).

Add another occurance to the list...end of day (stopped to pick up grocreries) again, no rain this time and using the alternate key, I did have the GPS and the LED lights on at the time, but I think the fault is pointing towards the antenna ring.

Add another occurance to the list...end of day (stopped to pick up grocreries) again, no rain this time and using the alternate key, I did have the GPS and the LED lights on at the time, but I think the fault is pointing towards the antenna ring.

Evening Tourmaster

You REALLY want to get this problem found & repaired as that EWS can & will eventually leave you stranded.

Coincidentially this happened to me on the way to the UN. I rode from New Orleans to Nashville for the weekend before UN and had the EWS message on the way up in my ‘13RT. It spooked me so when I arrived in Nashville I headed for the dealer and bought an antenna ring. $50 for an insurance policy. I carry the spare key so my plan is to use the bypass trick if it actually fails. The dealer said it's a 5hour job to replace and I only saw the EWSmessage once so I'll give it time, but don't want to be stuck with no backup. I plan to test the bypass trick now that I'm back home.

Well, I made it back home. The EWS warning appeared one more time (Aug 5), again at the end of the day (out grocery getting, no rain). Only the LED lights were on, I forgot to switch them off at shutdown. So its either the lights or the antenna ring causing the fault. The lights are mounted just under air inlet for the oil cooler, approx 20" from the ring.

D.R., do you think the lights could be causing interference at this distance?

Well, I made it back home. The EWS warning appeared one more time (Aug 5), again at the end of the day (out grocery getting, no rain). Only the LED lights were on, I forgot to switch them off at shutdown. So its either the lights or the antenna ring causing the fault. The lights are mounted just under air inlet for the oil cooler, approx 20" from the ring.

D.R., do you think the lights could be causing interference at this distance?

Morning Tourmaster

It's possible, the lights themselves are probably too far away to cause the RFI interference but the wiring going to them can act as antennas & transmit the interference.

You might try starting a few more times with the lights OFF then try with them turned on before starting. If the problem ONLY shows up if you have the lights turned on then you might have your answer.

FYI, in case you decide to carry a spare antenna ring i tested using mine on my '13 RT when i got home from the UN. I zip-tied my spare key to the ring and zip-tied the ring and plugged the connector to the spare ring bypassing the one on the bike. Bike started right up. The only catch, on RTs at lease, is there's a plastic cover over the wire connector on the bike which must be removed and it's attached with two T10 torx screws. If you carry a spare ring make sure you have a T10 socket that will get into that tight space.

Thanks D.R., I really hate unsolved problems and will continue to run with the existing ring trying to trigger a warning without the LED's on. The wires do run along the steering head, close to the antenna ring. If I don't get another warning I might rewire the relay to the headlamps so the LED's will be on only with the engine running, or is there a better source for post key-on power?.

DaveCinNo, thanks for the alternate key/ring info. Removing the cover and temporarily installing the key and rind is a bit of a pain, but far better than a full EWS failure with no-go. Are you planning a permanent installation (defeating the anti theft) or replacing the defective ring and carrying 2 keys?

Thanks D.R., I really hate unsolved problems and will continue to run with the existing ring trying to trigger a warning without the LED's on. The wires do run along the steering head, close to the antenna ring. If I don't get another warning I might rewire the relay to the headlamps so the LED's will be on only with the engine running, or is there a better source for post key-on power?.

DaveCinNo, thanks for the alternate key/ring info. Removing the cover and temporarily installing the key and rind is a bit of a pain, but far better than a full EWS failure with no-go. Are you planning a permanent installation (defeating the anti theft) or replacing the defective ring and carrying 2 keys?

Morning Tourmaster

Using the headlight low beam circuit to power a power relay for your aux. lights is the universally accepted way of doing it as the headlight doesn't come on until after engine is running.

I just plan to carry the ring and 2 keys as insurance. Replacing it is a total pain and I'm hoping me message was a fluke.

• 3 months later...

Well the weather is soon turning to $hit, probably only 2 rides left before putting it away for the winter. The EWS indication has not occurred again since Aug 5, I have been trying it with the LED lights on and off.

As I said, I hate unresolved issues.

Good Morning. Rereading these posts reminded me that I have no idea about what is the EWS, antenna ring, pellets and such. I'm wondering if this is something that came standard on my 2012 1200RT that I'm totally oblivious about? Is this device standard operating equipment or an option. If it's standard, I didn't even know that I had an anti-theft device (maybe I don't and it's an option). My ignition key looks like a regular good old ignition key. So whats up with the EWS and the antenna ring folks?

Thanks.

Bob

Good Morning. Rereading these posts reminded me that I have no idea about what is the EWS, antenna ring, pellets and such. I'm wondering if this is something that came standard on my 2012 1200RT that I'm totally oblivious about? Is this device standard operating equipment or an option. If it's standard, I didn't even know that I had an anti-theft device (maybe I don't and it's an option). My ignition key looks like a regular good old ignition key. So whats up with the EWS and the antenna ring folks?

Thanks.

Bob

Morning Bob

Standard on all the BMW 1200RT bikes since 2005.

EWS ("Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre") very loosely translated means -if EWS is illuminated- "Motorcycle is now an expensive paper weight"

Good Morning DR. Where is this mysterious antenna ring? So my key is not just a key but has a pellet in it that is communicating with this EWS system?

Good Morning DR. Where is this mysterious antenna ring? So my key is not just a key but has a pellet in it that is communicating with this EWS system?

Afternoon Bob

It is bolted to the ign switch housing (upper triple tree front) just below the where the key goes into the ignition cylinder.

It is a real pain to change the factory antenna ring but not too bad of a job to just plug a replacement antenna ring in then tape your spare key into that antenna ring then use your main key to start the bike.

Not many EWS failures on the newer 1200RT's but a number of failures on the early (2005) 1200 bikes.