IGNORED

GS Electric Windshield

Richard_D

Perfect, something to add more weight yet to an already overweight bike. Something like that needs a built in Starbucks cup holder.

How much could it weigh ? I always thought the electric windshield on my 04 RT was one of the best features on any bike I ever owned .

How much could it weigh ? I always thought the electric windshield on my 04 RT was one of the best features on any bike I ever owned .

Afternoon Richard

I have no idea on how much it weighs but it is obviously heavy enough that Puig doesn't make an advertising statement on how light it is. If it was lightweight I'm sure that would be major advertising point.

I'm completely spoiled and aim to stay that way w/ the electric screen on my '16 RT. I constantly change height according to weather, speed and type of riding I'm doing at the time. After using this I won't own another bike w/o one. The static weight of the entire hardware involved isn't enough to have a spec of influence over handling or other for street riding.

The thing is, if this was made by Touratech or Wunderlich etc, I would think, "ok, to each his own, spend the ultra high price " as those brands are famous for.

BUT since it's by Puig, a company for years known for butter soft windscreens for the scooter industry, I would let the rest of the world try the kit out for a year or so to see how and if it held up.

And, looking at how many or how few GS's actually touch dirt in thier lifetime, I say again, to each his own.

Rider1200RT

While nice, I would stick to the manual system if I had a GSA. Not really needed IMHO unless you're in the Starbucks crowd :spittake:

• 3 weeks later...
Francois_Dumas

Hardly ever move the windshield on the GS...… I did occasionally change it on the RT, but not often.

• 1 month later...

I'm constantly playing with the screen position on my RT . To adjust wind pressure, noise , temp at whatever speed I feel like sitting on .

I think it's a great idea .

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is kinda a mute point. The stock BMW windshield hardware is flimsy at best. I had to put on the windshield stiffening hardware. Because, in a storm traveling thru Nashville, TN I passed a semi. The blast of air off the Semi snapped the lower windshield mount. So all the way to Arkansas and back home my windshield was waving at me. This motor still uses the stock adjustment hardware. If you have been to any of the BMW off road schools the first thing they do is remove the windshield. As I found out it's just too easy to break the mounting hardware. My 2 cents.

Alan