IGNORED

Scuffs on Saddle Bags

Goodoni

All,

I have a 96 RT1100, for there age there in pretty good shape but through the years they have gathered some scuffs.

Is there a simply way clean the scuffs, I can repaint if needed buy that a last resort.

Any advice is appreciated.

Goodoni

Ride Safe!

Are they painted already, or are they black plastic?

If painted, depending on how deeply they are scuffed, I would dress with wet-dry sandpaper 400 - 600 grit wet, the follow up with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Caution: don't get heavy handed or you'll rub through the paint into the primer, necessitating repaint.

If unpainted, dress with 220 grit wet, but be aware that you can polish the bare plastic to a pretty smooth finish, which will clash with the OE surface. You might want to finish with a rougher grit.

I dressed up my R1150R stock mirrors in this manner, and ended up finishing with 180. They had some fairly severe scuffing, and came out looking pretty good.

My 96 had non painted hard plastic bags. I took off minor scuffs with 400 grit. I was worried anything more coarse would leave scratches.

Beemer Dood

How about scuffs in the non-painted plastic surfaces? Will the 400 grit treatment match the rest of the case?

Hi. My 03 has the unpainted bags . I spilled some acetone on one and had to sand out the damage. It takes to sanding very well..... however....... the bags have a textured surface. Well , one of my bags has a texture on it. The other is now shiny smooth. It does look good and I'm still trying to decide if I want to sand down the other bag. The plus side is that if you have a sanded finish you can always go back and touch up any future scratches. Also considered getting them dipped with a carbon fiber graphic. Would look good but then would be prone to scratches again.

Beemer Dood

Joeb do you remember what grits you went through to get to "shiny smooth?" Do you remember what grit matched the original "textured surface?"

Probably used a 400 grit. .no sand paper will give you the texture as far as I can tell. Was contemplating using a low pressure sand blast as the texture is not grooved , but pitted. Personally I don't think it's worth the effort as the shiny bag looks fine and I can buff it out easily if scuffed.

I have friend who owns a decal dipping business and he says it would be no problem to apply any graphic I want.

Charles Elms

I used the information in the above link on bag refinishing to fix my topbox using spray bedliner.

Worked like a champ.