IGNORED

What do you look for in a pair of pants?

R65_Steve

When I sold my old bike, I gave away the mesh overpants that I had. I never really liked them, I had a pair of dragging jeans that I mostly wore. I still have those (but they are a little too big in the waist) and a pair of cold weather pants - part of a suit that I got cheap. Also too big.

I want some other pants. I would like something that's sturdier than the jeans, but not "off road" gear. I would like more pockets for my cell and wallet, the jeans are like jeans....always afraid something will fall out of my pocket.

Shopping online is overwhelming...too many choices. Its hot now, so I want something for warm/hot weather. I also need it on a "budget" I have seen pants that cost $500!

What do you all look for?

Also, my jackets have zippers that connect to pants, but I have never used that. How does that work? You put on the jacket and reach back and zip it? Put it all on like a one piece snowsuit? Either seems comical in my mind thinking of how to do it. What say you?

What do you look for in a pair of pants?

A pretty girl!-- Sorry I couldn't help it.

I have so many differ types of riding pants, mesh, warm weather, cold weather, waterproof, that I can't say that one or the other is my favorite as THAT DEPENDS.

About all I personally require is lots of easy accessible pockets & some protection at the knees & thighs.

This time of year is a good time to do riding gear shopping as most shops are starting to run summer gear clearance sales. Start stopping by motorcycle shops & look at what they have on sale, if you like it, IF IT FITS YOU, will they deal on it, etc. Sometimes you just find something that you really like & that fits you perfectly.

I recently ordered these and have been very happy with them. I too can't seem to stomach $500.00 for summer riding pants. :)

I have a pair of those and like them for hot weather. They ventilate nicely.

I recently ordered these and have been very happy with them. I too can't seem to stomach $500.00 for summer riding pants. :)

61YuDF-sM3L._SL1200_.jpg

I have 2 different pairs of Tourmaster pants and really like them both. The Venture Air 2.0 pants (above) have load of mesh and breathe really well. They come with a removable rain liner, in the event you get caught out in bad weather. My other Tourmaster pants are their Overpants. Less breathable, but do have vents & are great in cooler weather. Both come with CE approved knee armour that are height adjustable, as well as softer foam hip pads.

As a "non-standard" sized person - I'm 'somewhat' short and 'somewhat' wide - I especially appreciate their short, regular & tall inseam options in various waist sizes.

I would recommend these to anyone looking for a decent pair of reasonably priced riding pants!!!

Can't believe dirtrider beat me to the punch , well actually by now I should have expected it. Pretty girl. But to add input to your real question, I have never found riding pants I like. But.....from talking to hard core riders , tour operators etc. It seems the klim are the preferred albeit expensive choice.

My personal criteria are, comfortable armor, hopefully a pocket that will allow access to jeans underneath ( I'm always needing to get something from an under layer after I'm suited up ) a tall enough front so rain water doesn't migrate up my lap and waterproof. By nature riding pants are bulky so not having to stop and try to slide rain gear over them while adding another layer over the pockets I have things in and making it an effort to use a washroom , for me is a big plus. Some ventilation would be nice. Might be a mission impossible, but those are some things I consider.

Lotta Jokers here. I look for pretty girls OUT of their pants. ;)

I like what I see above. I think I'll order what you all posted above. Get a feel for it and figure out how much touring I'm really gonna do. But anything would be a step up from my dragging jeans. Esp for peace of mind.

Hi Steve, now that others have broke the ice on the subject I have a brief story to go with my comments. Years ago I wore almost no protective gear except a helmet always. Through a contact in the Moto Guzzi club I got my first riding suit (2 piece leather and riding boots). It is very warm in the Ohio River valley in Indiana with high humidity so it was a tough transition during some of my Summer riding. If I was going to ride 500 miles from home or frisky in the twisties I wore my leathers. After my example a few of my local riding friends bought leather jackets. One friend that road a ZX11 Kawasaki on a ride when I wasn't along pushed his ride a bit too hard and ended up sliding down the road. The thought that went through his head at that moment? "You tight ass, why didn't you buy the pants!" So you are on the right track and It may take more than one option see below.

Now to being helpful in the pursuit of riding pants. I really don't like anything but my jeans. I have out grown my leather pants by now and they were sure hot. Kevlar jeans are pretty warm as well. I have some Olympia vented pants that are way more comfortable in the Summer, but the fit is not in the same context keeping the pads in exact position as the leather pants or my favorite jeans. And there are other seasons and rain to contend with to complicate the situation. I have some overpants I forget the brand for rain and cool weather.

So happy hunting! :wave:

Edited by sardineone

Yeah, I try and be ATTGATT. It's hot and humid around here, but planning a longer trip and feel like I need "more" gear "in case."

What I look for in summer riding pants.......something that isn't black. Drives me nuts that so much hot weather gear comes in the exact color you wouldn't want to be wearing. My go to summer pants for the last decade are the BMW summer pants......the ones that have full armor built in and zip off at the knees into a pair of cargo shorts. That last part is kinda silly to me, but they are really great pants. The vent well, have good zippered pockets, and the massive cargo pockets are handy for shoving gloves and such into when stopped. I picked mine up slightly used off of Ebay for maybe $100. One of the best pieces of gear I've bought over the years.

Only problem with mine is that I really need to replace the armor in mine as it has gotten really hard and rigid over the years. Also, they don't work well as overpants. They are cut to fit like blue jeans. I have gotten away with wearing athletic shorts under them occasionally, but most of the time its just the pants and your choice of underoos. Great for a day ride or a trip.......not so good for commuting duty unless you have a place to change

61YuDF-sM3L._SL1200_.jpg

I have 2 different pairs of Tourmaster pants and really like them both. The Venture Air 2.0 pants (above) have load of mesh and breathe really well. They come with a removable rain liner, in the event you get caught out in bad weather. My other Tourmaster pants are their Overpants. Less breathable, but do have vents & are great in cooler weather. Both come with CE approved knee armour that are height adjustable, as well as softer foam hip pads.

As a "non-standard" sized person - I'm 'somewhat' short and 'somewhat' wide - I especially appreciate their short, regular & tall inseam options in various waist sizes.

I would recommend these to anyone looking for a decent pair of reasonably priced riding pants!!!

I have the original Venture Air, and I do like it, BUT I now find that the quality of the zippers and other items to be less than desirable! The zipper pull broke a few months back, and now the adjustment waist tab just broke - the stitching gave way! So, I am looking for a new pair of mesh pants, and I am a little hesitant about going with the Venture Air 2. The other reason for being hesitant of the Tourmaster is that it's only available in black, and this time I want a light color pants. So, I am seriously thinking about buying this one:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-2-pants?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7/29/2018_Pants&utm_term=Inside%20Line%20%7C%20Combined

revit_airwave2_pants_silver_1800x1800.jpg

I thought about something "not black" as well, but I figured black will hide the dirt better (or something). I ordered the Venture Air like everyone else. The deciding factor between this and another low-buck pair was they could turn into shorts.

I have only had this new bike for 2 weeks and I'm hoping to use it more than my last one. The "hassle factor" of the gear and the old bike was one of the reasons I didn't ride as much. Put on all the gear and find the battery dead. Or get somewhere and bake in the clothing.

We'll see how it goes.