IGNORED

[Insert New Prescription Drug Here]

greiffster

Wait...So I'm NOT supposed to take [insert New Prescription Drug Here] if I'm allergic to [insert Same New Prescription Drug Here]?? Or any of it's ingredients?

And you have to try it to know if you are allergic. And it will probably cause suicidal thoughts anyway. "Yeah! Gimme some of that!"

:dopeslap:

Prescription drug advertising is a pet peeve of mine. Many ads don't even say what the drug does, just list side effects and contraindications, and "Ask your doctor". Who is the one that is supposed to know what, if anything, to prescribe. It's stupid to advertise to consumers, and only increases drug costs. Educate the doctors. If they don't think you need a drug, you won't get it anyway.

Larry,

I agree with your post except for "It's stupid to advertise to consumers". From the pharma viewpoint it's all about profit, and it is an effective way to get more users (profit) or they wouldn't keep doing it. I've seen the very attractive drug reps, well dressed, perfect makeup etc leaving the Dr's office after an "education" session. That must work as well. :grin::wave:

Larry,

I agree with your post except for "It's stupid to advertise to consumers". From the pharma viewpoint it's all about profit, and it is an effective way to get more users (profit) or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Really. Years ago I was in DC, and I was surprised to see big ads in the Metro by companies like Boeing and Raytheon. They looked strange, but I can't imagine they didn't make money for the companies. I just don't know how.

Rider1200RT

Isn't it 'wonderful' that none of the meds actually CURES anything and just suppresses the symptoms??? Between Pharma and the FDA, we're really screwed.

My European friends are always bewildered that the ads on TV are legal here.... I tell them that it's all about money money money...

Edited by Rider1200RT