IGNORED

Price of topcase for RT

Cap

My dealer quoted me $1700+ for a new color-matched topcase for a 2018 RT. Is that in line with what others are paying?

Thanks, Cap

Max BMW has the basic white aluminum case(77 43 8 544 630) on their parts fiche for $1390. With electrics connection, central locking, interior lighting, and carpeting (77 43 8 544 631), it's $1680. I know they can order the color matched versions, but have no idea what, if any, premium is charged for the color.

The Shad SH50, SH58x and SH59x are all quite nice. Each less than $475 with mount.

Edited by lkraus
The Shad SH50, SH58x and SH59x are all quite nice. Each less than $475 with mount.

Those Shad expandable cases are pretty clever. And their mount is reasonably priced. I'm still scratching my head over a $1700 case.

• Confused 1

I also was shocked at the price of a top box so I went with the shad its the 47 in matte black actually matches pretty good

I have the BMW top box, but if I had to do it all again, I would have gone for the Shad expandable, and not for the money saving either. The Shad cases are very nice, IMHO.

Rider1200RT

I have the Givi V47 and am quite happy with it. My brother has the same one and likes his as well. IMHO BMW charges way too much for what essentially is a plastic box. YMMV

Look at this page. Hopefully you have one of these colors. I just bought the wife a Alpine Weiss color matched top case for her RT. This is even the K1600GT version with full electrics for her central locking. I also bought the BMW LED to connect to my Skene lights out back. Plus $25 for the lock tumbler that doesn't come with the case. I bought all of these for $1100 including shipping. It did take a month to get here since it came from Austria.

https://www.euronetbike.net/bmw-bm-k1600gt-topcase.html?currency=USD

Even if you don't have one of these colors, you could still get the silver and have it painted for cheaper than the dealer price, if you don't want the LED.

Colorado Jeff

Hello All:

I bought the top case (77 43 8 544 631) for $850, the rear brake light bar (77 51 8 520 044) for $144 and the key cylinder for $22 from Bohling u Eisele & Co in Karlsruhe in February this year. (www.bohling-eisele.de)

That's just over $1k and shipping was only $82. I saved so much money I bought the low seat too ($287). No, its not color matching, but at this kind of savings you can easily have it painted.

It shipped right away and the service was excellent!

Jeff

I bought the top case (77 43 8 544 631) for $850, the rear brake light bar (77 51 8 520 044) for $144 and the key cylinder for $22 from Bohling u Eisele & Co in Karlsruhe in February this year. (www.bohling-eisele.de)

Good info. I ended up buying a used 2017 RT with 6k miles, and a color-matched topcase of the older style. So, I don't have central locking.

I don't think I want or need central locking on a motorcycle, but if somebody did, is it possible to convert the factory cases to central locking?

cap

Maybe it's not something everyone would be interested in, but here's my review of the SHAD SH50 topcase.

Equivalent quality, from the company that makes many of BMW's cases. However, it's not as fully integrated with the bike's systems.

I ponied up for the BMW top case as the dealer was offering an attractive discount, but it still was over $1K for a piece of color matched plastic. That hurt both my wallet and my head. Then it dawns on me during the dealer install (after key matching the locking cylinder) that the central locking means the damned thing is going to be perma-tethered by plug to my bike. I'm like "I have to remove that back seat, undo those thingys and unplug that doohickey every time that monstrosity goes on or off?"

"Uh, yes sir".

I like my Shad top case. I don't remember the number but its the expandable one. I've had it for 8 or 10 months.

Those expandable cases are brilliant!

Lone_RT_rider
Then it dawns on me during the dealer install (after key matching the locking cylinder) that the central locking means the damned thing is going to be perma-tethered by plug to my bike. I'm like "I have to remove that back seat, undo those thingys and unplug that doohickey every time that monstrosity goes on or off?"

I've seen your creativeness in your garage. I'm astonished this is a problem for you. I would have thought that you had designed a self lifting (remote operated) platform that lifts the top-case out of the way before you even got the bike home. ;)

Shawn

... I'm like "I have to remove that back seat, undo those thingys and unplug that doohickey every time that monstrosity goes on or off?"

That's a good point. I've been trying to articulate (to myself) why I like central locking in a car, but can't imagine why I would want it on a moto. And I think you nailed it: needless complexity for minimal utility.

I'm a big fan of Givi cases, and use them on my other non-BMW bikes. I like having power in the topcase, and I typically install a Powerlet Products tank-bag power kit that uses a 2-flat connector, and passes power to the inside of the case. Then I just route a 2-flat pigtail and leave it poking out between the pillion seat and the case. That makes removal of the topcase easy, with one additional step to disconnect the pigtail. Some years ago, Givi made a mounting plate with a power connector embedded, such that when one clicked the case into position, power was automatically routed to a brake light inside the case. I wondered about weather protection for the connector, that was exposed when the case was not mounted. But it never developed any corrosion, and always worked.

Cap

I like having power in the topcase....

Cap

It amazes me that there is a loom with a huge plug that connects under the seat. I would have thought they would have had a power interface plate on the rack that mates with the top case when it is lowered into place. Garmin manage on their SatNav cradel and my car does the same, feeding power to the rear lights when I shut the tailgate. It's not that difficult.

I don't have CL on my bike. But I bought the wiring harness to get a fully electric case. I was able to strip back the wiring covering and put the big round plug outside of my seats. I have a long velcro loop attaching the plug to the left side of the rack. So I'm able to put my case on/off without taking seats off. It wasn't that hard to do.

• 2 weeks later...