IGNORED

When will 2019 Bikes hit dealers?

scaudy

A few monrhs ago I was clipped by a car on the freeway and totaled my 2012 rt. I am ready to get another bike but with the possibility of a new RT being released for 2019 I am tryimg to hold off to see the details. Anyone know whem the 2019 RT will hit the showroom?

Thanks

Rider1200RT
Usually by September but that may have changed...

Are you suspecting that the bikes might have VVT?

My local dealer seems to think so but he's not 100% sure of it. I'll believe it when they're on the showroom floor.,

A BMW press release in July announced new colors and revisions on the 2019 bikes, except the R1200 boxers.

In the past the R1200 variants were released at different times, up to a year or so apart, with many more "leaks" than we've seen so far on the VVT engine. It's hard to imagine we will see new R1250GS/GSA/R/RS/RT models all at once, without more pre-release buzz. It's also hard to imagine that BMW would continue production of the R1200 models without at least paint changes. My totally uninformed guess is that BMW wants to reduce inventory on unsold 2018 models before announcing the R1250 to avoid price cuts and incentives on the older bikes. I'm hoping for 1250s in the showroom this year, but probably in the last quarter.

My perspective is a little different in that I want to see a "better" RT soon, just so the bugs will be worked out when I'm ready to buy in a couple years. A delay of 3-6 months will not matter to me.

If a 2018 meets your needs, there will probably be deals to be had.

Edited by lkraus
A few monrhs ago I was clipped by a car on the freeway and totaled my 2012 rt. I am ready to get another bike but with the possibility of a new RT being released for 2019 I am tryimg to hold off to see the details. Anyone know whem the 2019 RT will hit the showroom?

Thanks

Afternoon scaudy

Are you SURE that you want a 1st year of any new BMW motorcycle model?

If you go back through the last major model changes on past BMW boxer bikes your will see a number of major (needed) changes/updates as the model progresses through it's production run.

BMW seems fixated on using paying customers as beta testers then uses the 1st year failures areas to slowly improve the model until finally getting most of the bugs worked out by last offerings of that model in the last year or two of production.

Guess I'm just lucky. Had one of the very first 12GS's delivered in the US. 36k miles later with zero problems I sold it to a friend. Haven't heard any horror stories from him. Guess they weren't all bad. I've had a total of 7 12GS's. The 2012 had a wty claim at 36k which was covered by BMW.

Guess I'm just lucky. Had one of the very first 12GS's delivered in the US. 36k miles later with zero problems I sold it to a friend. Haven't heard any horror stories from him. Guess they weren't all bad. I've had a total of 7 12GS's. The 2012 had a wty claim at 36k which was covered by BMW.

Evening Marty

No, definitely not all bad, but a lot of running changes in the 1200GS series to fix early problems. Everything from pinion bearing size increase, to drive shaft improvements, to final drive redesign, to engine internal changes due to re-occurring oil leaks, to electronics updates & changes to eliminate ongoing issues, to brake system changes to improve braking, to antenna ring redesign to eliminate EWS starting problems (this was usually a towable event), to fuel pump electronics changes to prevent fuel pump from quitting far from home in the middle of the night in the L/H lane of a 4 lane freeway, to many more over the model life.

I've heard some of the stories. Guess i was lucky. Someone protects the idiots! :grin:

:rofl:

Yer welcome.

You and me both.

Like Marty, no problems,

But I did all maintenance on time and mileage as required, etc.

Takes one to know one sort of thing, I guess, as I saw a lot of issues, particularly with first year models,

Beta testing, I think we called it.

;)

Most of them work well. Some of them don't.

I might go extended warramty if I went first year.

Or just say WTH and ride it like I stole it.

:wave:

Evening Marty

No, definitely not all bad, but a lot of running changes in the 1200GS series to fix early problems. Everything from pinion bearing size increase, to drive shaft improvements, to final drive redesign, to engine internal changes due to re-occurring oil leaks, to electronics updates & changes to eliminate ongoing issues, to brake system changes to improve braking, to antenna ring redesign to eliminate EWS starting problems (this was usually a towable event), to fuel pump electronics changes to prevent fuel pump from quitting far from home in the middle of the night in the L/H lane of a 4 lane freeway, to many more over the model life.

Dont' forget the heavier crankshaft ("flywheel") to mitigate snatching/stalling problems reported by some '13 GS owners. Water boxer engine first appeared in the '13 GS, expanded to RT and GSA in '14.

I agree first year production is a consideration and not sure I want to take that chance. Though if VVT and an increase in engine size produces much better performane I may just take the chance. I was planning on adding a GSXS1000 to the garage before the crash and would forgo that thought possibly. Its tough to go thru the summer bikless.

I thought it was supposed to be Aug 3?

At any rate, the difference in performance between a '12 and an '18 will already be pretty obvious!

Edited by Rob Nowell
  • 2 weeks later...

My inquiry with a dealer reveals OCT/NOV roll out for the 1250 RT, which was based on his internal communication with BMW Motorrad. I will be in the market for an RT so I keep checking on the arrival of the '19 models. There are still '18 models on the showroom floor which should be sold for new inventory. The info seemed credible due to the fact that he was not trying to sell me the 2018 RT. Hmmm.......

I would not expect either model to arrive until next spring here in the US. BMW has a pattern of revealing big changes at IFMA in October the releasing the next year.

John Bentall

Thanks

Afternoon scaudy

If you go back through the last major model changes on past BMW boxer bikes your will see a number of major (needed) changes/updates as the model progresses through it's production run.

BMW seems fixated on using paying customers as beta testers then uses the 1st year failures areas to slowly improve the model until finally getting most of the bugs worked out by last offerings of that model in the last year or two of production.

DR, the LC models were new from the ground up and were what I will call "a revolution". The VVT model will be an "evolution" and BMW has 10+ years of VVT experience on car engines. I'd be happy with a 1st year model.

The new models will likely have around 135PS rather than the 150PS some readers are expecting. 135 ponies are more than enough in reality.

Thanks

Afternoon scaudy

DR, the LC models were new from the ground up and were what I will call "a revolution". The VVT model will be an "evolution" and BMW has 10+ years of VVT experience on car engines. I'd be happy with a 1st year model.

The new models will likely have around 135PS rather than the 150PS some readers are expecting. 135 ponies are more than enough in reality.

Morning John

That's wonderful as I'm sure that BMW can use all the paying Beta testers they can get. Someone has to buy them so BMW can work out the kinks.

Thanks for the new information on BMW's 10+ years of VVT experience on car engines, I guess that would be a good thing if BMW put car engines in their motorcycles.

fourteenfour
Here is the plate I put on my 1st year GSW, after the water pump needed replacing, 3000 miles in, and was on backorder for 8 weeks.

:dopeslap::grin:

IMG_1951-L.jpg

You sure that plate is about the bike?

Are you SURE that you want a 1st year of any new BMW motorcycle model?..............BMW seems fixated on using paying customers as beta testers then uses the 1st year failures areas to slowly improve the model until finally getting most of the bugs worked out by last offerings of that model in the last year or two of production.

As the owner of a "beta" '02 RT I can respond to your query with a resounding "NO F*****G WAY!" I still have my RT and love it however, it has tested my loyalty to the brand on more than a few occasions. Ever since then I've elected not to pay the sucker tax associated with new BMW models and have purchased used bikes.

Are you reading me LOUD AND CLEAR, BMWNA?????

End of rant.

No and with the current costs, mine may be the last beemer I'll buy unless I get a raise and nice one at that.

Beautiful Marketing Wow

You'd have to know a lot about engine design to understand why you would want or maybe not want cam pairs.

Two thoughts: 1) You're going to need to set the valve clearances for two sets of cams instead of just one. One of my big beefs with Honda's VFR800 is the VTEC valve timing requires a lengthy valve clearance regime. And that can be expensive if you don't want to do the work yourself. 2) It almost eliminates the need for a clutch for off-roading. Anyone think BMW is considering a DCT arrangement like Honda has in the Africa Twin?

Edited by Antimatter
Two thoughts: 1) You're going to need to set the valve clearances for two sets of cams instead of just one...

The valves are set when the valves are on the smallest radius of the cam, which appears to be the same surface for both intake cam positions. Stop the video and use your comma and period keys to step back or forward to examine the cam closely. The clearances should be the same in both positions.

There will be the same number of cams in the VVT engine as are in the Wethead. VVT is accomplished by hydraulically adjusting the phase of the cams from the driven end on most of the latest designs.

BMW has to be different, so there seem to be two profiles per valve on the same cam with a stepper motor to shift the cam sideways. Still waiting for a good description of how they manage to shift it fast enough to complete the shift in a single cam revolution.

BMW-1250-Boxer-with-Shiftcam-Courtesy-of-motocular.com_-768x432.jpg

Another link:http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/leaked-video-reveals-2019-bmw-r1250gs-shift-cam-vvt-system.html with an interpretation of the video (I don't think they had any official info.)

It looks to me that the only thing that has to happen is that the solenoid on the shifting mechanism has to fire the pin. The cam then rotates to move into the new horizontal position. The ramp is machined so that it takes less than a full rotation to accomplish that.

Gold wheels, YUK!

Agree, they don't work for me either. More power is always nice to have but a refresh in style was what I'm looking for. Don't see it. :dontknow:

Pat

Found this you know where...Appears to be the new GS...Not sure if I'm McLovin it. :dontknow: Maybe a triple black version is needed. :thumbsup:

cover.jpg

Pat

ffa19d5ef6d32d6f7f51079a732faf8f.jpg

Man if I could pull off dressing like Robert Craig, I might just change my mind. :java: The gold rims still gotta go. :grin:

Pat

Found this you know where...Appears to be the new GS...Not sure if I'm McLovin it. :dontknow: Maybe a triple black version is needed. :thumbsup:

The gold rims still gotta go. :grin:

Pat

You are so right!

Edited by Marty Hill

New bikes with new motors will only hit the dealers after techs have been to training, so ask the master tech at your favorite dealer if he has been to school yet. Dealers don't like to send techs during the busy time of summer but BMW has done this in the past.

There will be a line for test rides for sure. We live in exciting times. :thumbsup:

Press kit was just released for the R1250GS and the R1250RT : https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0284913EN/the-new-bmw-r-1250-gs-and-the-new-bmw-r-1250-rt

Downloads of pictures and videos are not working right now, either not available or server is overloaded.

The new BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT – the fascination of travel and touring in a new dimension of engine power.

For more than 35 years, the flat-twin boxer engine in the BMW Motorrad GS and RT models has stood for distinctive, powerful and reliable propulsion when it comes to setting off on an extended tour or a long-distance journey – or simply enjoying the satisfying pleasure of a short weekend trip. For more than 25 years, BMW Motorrad has used 4-valve technology, combined with electronic fuel injection and closed-loop catalytic converter technology in order to achieve the best possible power and torque delivery, efficiency and environmental compatibility.

Further advanced boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for an additional increase in power across the entire engine speed range, reduced emission and fuel consumption levels, optimised running smoothness and refinement.

With the extensively further advanced boxer engine, the new R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT not only achieve a whole new level of power and torque. It was also possible to significantly optimise refinement and running smoothness – especially within the lower engine speed range. What is more, the new engine offers improved emission and fuel consumption levels as well as a particularly satisfying sound. For this purpose, BMW ShiftCam Technology has been used for the first time in the serial production of BMW Motorrad engines: this enables variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side. In addition, the intake camshafts are designed for asynchronous opening of the two intake valves, resulting in enhanced swirl of the fresh, incoming mixture and therefore more effective combustion. Other technical changes to the engine relate to the camshaft drive – now taken care of by a toothed chain (previously a roller chain) – an optimised oil supply, twin-jet injection valves and a new exhaust system.

Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard.

There are two riding modes available as standard in order to be able to adapt the motorcycle to individual rider preferences. The standard Automatic Stability Control ASC ensures a high level of riding safety due to the best possible traction. The set-off assistant Hill Start Control is likewise a standard feature in both models, enabling convenient set-off on slopes.

Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro, Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC (new), available as an optional equipment item ex works.

The option "Riding Modes Pro" is now available as an optional equipment item, featuring the additional riding mode "Dynamic", Dynamic Traction Control DTC, and in the R 1250 GS also the riding modes "Dynamic Pro", "Enduro" and "Enduro Pro". DTC enables even more efficient and safe acceleration, especially in banking position. ABS Pro (part of Riding Modes Pro in the R 1250 GS, a standard feature in the R 1250 RT) offers even greater safety when braking, even in banking position. The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance.

Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA "Next Generation" with fully automatic load compensation, now also for the R 1250 RT.

With the optional equipment item BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA “Next Generation”, damping automatically adapts to the situation according to riding state and manoeuvres, and there is also automatic compensation in all load states. This allows finely tuned adaptation of the motorcycle to riding states, achieving optimum damping comfort and a very stable ride response – this is now also available for the R 1250 RT.

LED headlamp for the R 1250 GS as standard and LED daytime riding light for both models as an ex works optional equipment item.

The new R 1250 GS now features the LED headlamp as standard. In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for both the R 1250 GS and the R 1250 RT, which has halogen headlamps.

Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as standard in the

R 1250 GS.

The new R 1250 GS now has the equipment feature Connectivity as standard including a 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen. In conjunction with the standard BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller, this means the rider can access vehicle and connectivity functions particularly swiftly and conveniently.

The R 1250 RT is fitted with a large 5.7-inch TFT colour screen. This is supplemented with an analog speedometer and rev counter.

Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option.

Ensuring the fastest possible assistance in the event of an accident or in situations of emergency and danger can save people's lives. The optional equipment item Intelligent Emergency Call summons assistance to the scene as quickly as possible. As before, this feature can be ordered for both models.

BMW Motorrad Spezial – high-quality customisation features as optional equipment items ex works.

BMW Motorrad Spezial offers a range of iconic customisation features that enhance both performance and value, available as optional equipment items ex works. The focus is on harmonious integration in the vehicle as a whole, use of the very highest-quality materials, elaborate manual workmanship and characteristic attention to detail.

The Billets Packs Option 719 Classic and HP are available for the new R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT, for example.

The new R 1250 RT can be additionally enhanced with Option 719 wheels Classic or Sport, an exclusive seat and one of two Spezial paint finishes.

An HP sports silencer is likewise available ex works for the two new boxer models.

New attractive colours and style variants.

The new R 1250 GS showcases its travel and off-road prowess in two modern basic finishes and two striking style variants. The new R 1250 RT embodies its exclusive touring character in one basic colour, two style variants and two Option 719 Spezial finishes.

Overview of the highlights of the new BMW R 1250 GS and

R 1250 RT:

• Further developed boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side.

• Even more power across the entire engine speed range, optimised fuel consumption and emission levels, increased running smoothness and refinement.

• Increased output and torque: 100 kW (136 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 143 Nm at 6 250 rpm (previously: 92 kW (125 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 125 Nm at 6 500 rpm)).

• Capacity increased to 1 254 cc (previously: 1 170 cc).

• Asynchronous valve opening on the intake side for optimised swirl and therefore more effective combustion.

• Camshaft drive now via toothed chain (previously roller chain).

• Optimised oil supply and piston base cooling.

• Knock sensor system for optimised travel suitability.

• Latest generation of BMS-O engine control and use of twin-jet injection valves for even more effective carburetion.

• New exhaust system for optimum performance characteristics.

• New additional front spoiler on the R 1250 RT.

• Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard.

• Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro (standard in the R 1250 RT), Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC, available as an optional equipment item ex works.

Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” with fully automatic load compensation.

• In addition to standard adjustability of seat height (exception: HP style for the R 1250 GS), wide range of seat height variants ex works.

• LED headlamp for the R 1250 GS as standard and LED daytime riding light for both models as optional equipment items ex works.

Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as standard in the R 1250 GS.

• Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option.

• BMW Motorrad Spezial – customisation features as optional equipment items ex works.

• Extended range of optional equipment items and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.

• The new R 1250 GS: travel and off-road prowess in two modern basic finishes and two striking style variants.

• The new R 1250 RT: exclusive touring character in one basic colour, two style variants and Option 719 Spezial finishes.

Edited by lkraus

No LED mentioned on the RT.

RT has a front spoiler?? Not sure what that means.

RT now has a knock sensor. Interesting.

And those are the "huh" things I noticed. Not bad or good. Just "huh".

The RT has the option for LED headlight; halogen is standard.

The RT has the option for LED headlight; halogen is standard.

No, the GS has standard LED headlamps, the main RT headlamps are still halogen:

"In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for the R 1250 GS and also the R 1250 RT, which has halogen headlamps. "

In the pictures of the 2019 RT, the halogen bulbs are clearly visible.

Edited by lkraus