IGNORED

90 degree adapter for TPMS

MoteroNC

I continue to have difficulty putting air on my 09 RT tires at gas stations. I appreciate recomendations on any 90 degree adapters or a particular brand prsssure gage.

I continue to have difficulty putting air on my 09 RT tires at gas stations. I appreciate recomendations on any 90 degree adapters or a particular brand prsssure gage.

Afternoon MoteroNC

The front shouldn't need anything as it already sits at a right angle to the rim as the valve stem is in the side of the spoke.

On the rear I really haven't had much problem checking or filling the hexhead but if you need a right angle then keep it short & light as possible.

I usually use a small electronic readout pencil type gauge that I have checked for accuracy against a calibrated master gauge (it is probably 30+ years old so there are no markings left on it to determine manufacturer (even if I could that company might be importing Chinese junk by now, who knows).

Just keep in mind that the smaller the air chamber in the gauge the less air it lets out at every pressure checking.

Here's one option; I'm sure there should be others.

Fobo T valve

If you scroll down the page a bit, it has a exploded view of the piece. Ain't cheap. I just put one on my rear RT - only have about 120 miles on it so far.

EDIT: Here is the page you order from. The FOBO site navigation for accessories is a bit odd and it's unclear how to get to the order page.

ordering page

Edited by Indy Dave

Good afternoon dirtrider. Good catch! They also offer a screw on version that screws onto the valve stem. It's the next item down from the T-valve on the Fobo accessory page.

FOBOUltraScrewOnValve1.jpg

Good afternoon dirtrider. Good catch! They also offer a screw on version that screws onto the valve stem. It's the next item down from the T-valve on the Fobo accessory page.

Afternoon Indy Dave

Yes, I removed my response after I dug in a little deeper & saw that.

DT - You were spot on as usual! I was thinking of the direct hole mounting valve myself, not having paid enough attention to the title of the post. Only on a second look at the page did I see the screw on T valve.

Appreciate it. Will try it as I don't want to be putting too much bending moment on the TPMS and eventually damaging the seal. Totally agree smaller means less likely to bleed. I find most gas stations are pretty inaccurate so I usually overshoot a little and bleed down to my desired level.

I'm not sure quite what “difficulty” you are referring to but here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe I (and many others) have found that the length of RT threaded front valve means that many fuel station “Hold on” type tyre inflator connectors depress the valve core enough to allow air out but do not give sufficient seal to allow pumped air in

For amplification See here

Edited by Kritou

Most bicycle shops would carry a 90 degree adapter. Topeak is a brand that comes to mind. Fleabay and Amazon would also have them.

They might look something like this. Using one will release additional pressure, don't know how much...

s-l400.jpg