IGNORED

Just Finished a 6500 Miler

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Needed a way to celebrate my upcoming 70th birthday on my 2012 1200RT. Left Michigan July 6 and back August 3. Route was through rural Indiana, Illinois Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Ferry to Whidby Island in WA and Manitoic WI to Ludington MI. Some thoughts about the never ending learning curve of mc touring.

The 2012 1200RT was flawless. I got more and more comfortable running in lower gear to keep it at around 4000 RPM. Feels so much better in 5th at 4000 than 6th at 3400.

Total oil consumption was .5 quart.

Got used to cruise control after a while and used it more often.

The brand new PR4GT at the start of the trip still has about 2,000 left on it. Best mileage I got from a tire in quite some time. They handled great in the rain and in all road conditions.I was running a lot of weight behind me, xl duffel with all my camping gear plus two full saddle bags and a full trunk box.

I have fork mounted Denali D4 lights and they are pointed down a bit so to not overly annoy vehicles in front of me or those coming in the opposite direction. Who knows if it was the lights plus I ran high beam all the time but I had only a couple of times when someone did something really stupid like turning on to a highway too close in front of me. I believe that these lights are very effective, as were the hyperlights. It's darn hard to prove that prevention works but I've been riding since 1969 and this time around, I experienced the fewest dumb vehicle incidents ever. I think those big boy front lights got their attention.

Morning ritual was to gold bond creme all body parts in contact with saddle (stock seat). Then liberally monkey butt powder crotch and butt area of my LD Comfort shorts. Alaska leather seat cover. Not any monkey butt at all. Very pleased with this.

Bought a cool vest, the kind you soak in water and put under your vented jacket. It was invaluable in southern Utah, Nevada, and California. Temps got up to 114 which is damn hot for this Michigan guy. I have a camel back in my tank bag with the hose attached to a key ring on the tank bag zipper. Stayed hydrated. Filled it up with ice when I stopped for fuel.

Wore a keep cooling beanie under the helmet. no helmet itch.

That's about it on my recent trip -- hope it's helpful.

Many highlights but several worth mentioning ..... Monument Valley, Highway 1 from San Luis Opismo to Monterey (Highway 1 is now open all the way and it is fabulous) , Glacier Road to the Sun and lodge at east gate, and a fine motorcycle museum in Marquette, Kansas dedicated to the late great Stan the Man Engdahl. Most of his 600 plus trophies are on display along with an interesting collection of bikes and some great older photos.

Ride safe,

Bob

gold bond creme all body parts in contact with saddle Then liberally monkey butt powder crotch and butt area of my LD Comfort shorts. Not any monkey butt at all.

Now I usually request pictures, but the visual that, that drew is quite enough. :grin: Great report Bob and BTW, Happy 70th! :clap:

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
Needed a way to celebrate my upcoming 70th birthday on my 2012 1200RT. Left Michigan July 6 and back August 3. Route was through rural Indiana, Illinois Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Ferry to Whidby Island in WA and Manitoic WI to Ludington MI. Some thoughts about the never ending learning curve of mc touring.

The 2012 1200RT was flawless. I got more and more comfortable running in lower gear to keep it at around 4000 RPM. Feels so much better in 5th at 4000 than 6th at 3400.

Total oil consumption was .5 quart.

Got used to cruise control after a while and used it more often.

The brand new PR4GT at the start of the trip still has about 2,000 left on it. Best mileage I got from a tire in quite some time. They handled great in the rain and in all road conditions.I was running a lot of weight behind me, xl duffel with all my camping gear plus two full saddle bags and a full trunk box.

I have fork mounted Denali D4 lights and they are pointed down a bit so to not overly annoy vehicles in front of me or those coming in the opposite direction. Who knows if it was the lights plus I ran high beam all the time but I had only a couple of times when someone did something really stupid like turning on to a highway too close in front of me. I believe that these lights are very effective, as were the hyperlights. It's darn hard to prove that prevention works but I've been riding since 1969 and this time around, I experienced the fewest dumb vehicle incidents ever. I think those big boy front lights got their attention.

Morning ritual was to gold bond creme all body parts in contact with saddle (stock seat). Then liberally monkey butt powder crotch and butt area of my LD Comfort shorts. Alaska leather seat cover. Not any monkey butt at all. Very pleased with this.

Bought a cool vest, the kind you soak in water and put under your vented jacket. It was invaluable in southern Utah, Nevada, and California. Temps got up to 114 which is damn hot for this Michigan guy. I have a camel back in my tank bag with the hose attached to a key ring on the tank bag zipper. Stayed hydrated. Filled it up with ice when I stopped for fuel.

Wore a keep cooling beanie under the helmet. no helmet itch.

That's about it on my recent trip -- hope it's helpful.

Many highlights but several worth mentioning ..... Monument Valley, Highway 1 from San Luis Opismo to Monterey (Highway 1 is now open all the way and it is fabulous) , Glacier Road to the Sun and lodge at east gate, and a fine motorcycle museum in Marquette, Kansas dedicated to the late great Stan the Man Engdahl. Most of his 600 plus trophies are on display along with an interesting collection of bikes and some great older photos.

Ride safe,

Bob

Had my RT at Monument Valley in '08 and of all the places I've been on a bike, that area affected me in a positive way like no other.

Thanks for sharing,

RPG

Congratulations. My 70th is coming up and I'm beginning to plan for a big trip of my own out to the west coast. Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by bwpsg42

Good for you bwpsg42. Just do it. I was interested in the reactions by different folks to my trip. Some thought I shouldn't go alone for some reason. Some thought I shouldn't camp which I did about six times. Some thought I'm too old or it's too dangerous or too hot or blah, blah. Their concern was based on good intentions but not persuasive. I didn't/don't have a trace of regret.

Bob

Good for you bwpsg42. Just do it. I was interested in the reactions by different folks to my trip. Some thought I shouldn't go alone for some reason. Some thought I shouldn't camp which I did about six times. Some thought I'm too old or it's too dangerous or too hot or blah, blah. Their concern was based on good intentions but not persuasive. I didn't/don't have a trace of regret.

Bob

Last fall I did 8500 miles from Michigan, Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, etc. I started riding 2 years ago after a 40 year hiatus. I'm 68 and heard many of the same comments. Like you, many couldn't believe I rode alone. I had a blast. I'm about to embark on a long solo ride of Eastern Canada and US.

Needed a way to celebrate my upcoming 70th birthday on my 2012 1200RT. ......

Bob

Nice write up and way to celebrate your 70th birthday! I have also enjoyed the comments from our fellow BMWST board members about "just doing it" and that age has almost nothing to do with "it"! There are many members of this BMWST board that are in their 70's and 80's that ride solo to are events. I just bought a new motorcycle at 73 and hope/expect to ride for many more years. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tallman. I'm thinking St. Lawrence Seaway, Quebec City, Nova Scotia next summer. Any suggestions on the route would be welcomed.

Michiganbob