IGNORED

Shift Assist ???

Rapala 50

I'm hoping someone here can explain something. I have a 2017 R1200GS with Shift assist pro that from time to time I'll use just for the heck of it. So the other day I was on my 2008 RT and decided to shift without the clutch the same as I would on the GS and couldn't believe how smooth it was,as smooth as the GS or even a little better then the GS. That was up shifting and down shifting, how can that be ? Anyone else here try this before ?

I'm hoping someone here can explain something. I have a 2017 R1200GS with Shift assist pro that from time to time I'll use just for the heck of it. So the other day I was on my 2008 RT and decided to shift without the clutch the same as I would on the GS and couldn't believe how smooth it was,as smooth as the GS or even a little better then the GS. That was up shifting and down shifting, how can that be ? Anyone else here try this before ?

Evening Rapala 50

I do it all the time on my hexheads & BMW 800 bike. If the engine RPM vs load, vs speed is managed correctly it is much smoother than using the clutch & shifting can be butter smooth. I usually only do it in the upper 3 gears & even then mainly in the upper 2 gears & usually only downshift with no clutch only down to 4th.

Been doing it for years so once a rider figures out the throttle management vs shifting feel it is basically harmless to the drive train.

Basically the rider is just manually doing what the shift assist pro does during the shift.

I don't as a rule do clutchless shifting at wide open throttle or during high engine torque periods as that can do damage if not PERFECT.

The downside is if the person doing the clutchless shifting doesn't do it correctly & smoothly just about every time it can eventually damage the transmission shifting parts so they will eventually wear & cause shifting issues or problems with the transmission staying locked in gear.

As DR said...been doing it on cars and bikes for years....just for fun. My wifes M5 6 speed actually shifts better going up without clutch...not so much coming down but it can be done smoothly with just right loading.