IGNORED

Spiegler SS brake line kit

SinNH

2000 R1100RT

Been searching for the number of hoses that come with the above mentioned kit. No luck.

Anyone know for sure?

OK I GOT IT. Five lines.

Thanks

Steve

NH

Edited by SinNH

It's a well made kit and fits the RT very well. It will be with you for a long time, don't sweat that it costs a few bucks more than some others.

I had their kit on my 02 RT fit was excellent went on easily with minor adjustments. Instructions and plastic tool were provided for the adjustments. A bit more expensive than others but worth every penny.

I hope this doesn't turn into another Chevy! Ford! or Bud! Coors! type of argument... despite the risk, I'll ask:

Spiegler or Galfer?

I'm going to order replacements to fit the next time I have her clothes off.

Puddles, I did Galfers last spring on my 96 RT, they fit well. Dave

& now that I have done a bit of shopping, I see they fit the wallet better too. Downside: You can't get them in Pink, which would look sooooo pretty with my Glacier Blue :P

Edited by Puddles
Green! It's Glacier Green !

I tolja already !

Green, damnit, have I been drunk posting again?

Besides, it waren't on THIS forum you told me, so it don't count

Edited by Puddles

Well my teenager kids tell me I'm boring, that might be part of my issue. I figured SS lines I wanted them to look like SS lines (not colored) so I went with the silver lines. Dave

FYI, I found a local hydraulic hose shop (mainly industrial equipment) that was able to make custom lines for my old Moto Guzzi at less than half the price of Spiegler SS lines. I did have to take my old lines to the shop to have replacements matched up to them. Only the fronts for my Guzzi were available from Spiegler anyway and the Guzzi linked brake system had 4 other rubber lines to replace. They have worked out very well for my vintage machine. Photo links below.

Guzzi SS brake line rear

Guzzi SS brake line front

If you have ABS, there's no Galfer kit.

There certainly is.

In fact Galfer makes two kits for the R1100RT/ABS . Standard length and a kit for those who have installed bar back spacers as it requires a longer top master cylinder hose.

I can't count how many Galfer RT kits I sold over the years, and I have one on my '99 RT ABS.

FYI, I found a local hydraulic hose shop (mainly industrial equipment) that was able to make custom lines for my old Moto Guzzi at less than half the price of Spiegler SS lines. I did have to take my old lines to the shop to have replacements matched up to them. Only the fronts for my Guzzi were available from Spiegler anyway and the Guzzi linked brake system had 4 other rubber lines to replace. They have worked out very well for my vintage machine. Photo links below.

Guzzi SS brake line rear

Guzzi SS brake line front

Locally, and I hate to say in Calif, hydraulic shops won't do it due to liability reasons. Here where I live, we have a huge Ag and a lot of related manufacturing packaging industry that does hydro, pneumatic , pnudraulics builds and repairs and they won't touch brake lines for motorcycles or street rods.

I had to get a clutch slave line replaced for a Pinto or Mustang or something in a hurry once , the OE line was hard plastic with banjo's and I almost didn't get that made save for the fact that they figured it couldn't be a brake line being plastic.

They know what to look for in brake lines and flat won't do it.

AND the stuff they have/had doesn't have the non-mar plastic coating either.

I guess my supplier took care of any liability by pressure testing each of my lines before I could have them. I don't remember how much, but it was over 1,000 psi.

There certainly is.

In fact Galfer makes two kits for the R1100RT/ABS . Standard length and a kit for those who have installed bar back spacers as it requires a longer top master cylinder hose.

I can't count how many Galfer RT kits I sold over the years, and I have one on my '99 RT ABS.

I looked for the Galfer kit for my 99 R1100R w/ABS and I was not able to find it anywhere. I went with the Spiegler kit and it was all good.

Post a link to the Galfer kit w/ABS if you're so sure.

Edited by kalali

The thread and resulting conversation was about the R1100RT .

My response even included referencing the R1100RT at least twice.

The rest of us seemed to figure out we were talking about RT's.

There was nothing referring to the R1100R until....

Never mind .

There was nothing referring to the R1100R until....

Never mind .

Fair point. My apologies.

Thanks guys! Still my favorite board. I, could not find a Galfer kit for my 00 RT ABS anywhere including on the Galfer site. Going to order so next rain day I can putter on that.

Steve

Here's the set I just ordered

http://galferusa.com/store/bmw-1996-r-1100-rt-abs-multiple-lines-fk003d173-5

Thanks for the link, but when I try to change the year to 2000 abs, no lines come up at all, just calipers, etc. Thanks, Steve NH

There is no difference in the brake lines between the 1996 and 2000 model year RT. But, if you aren't sure, order the Speigler kit.

Agree 5 hoses on that vintage RT. Galfer- Spiegler, potayto-potahto, both kits get the job done with good quality materials and fit well. Buy either on the best deal and you can't go wrong.

When I did my 99 RT 3-4 years ago I caught a great deal on a Spiegler kit with gold connectors. Installation went as described in the kit with no issues, looks great too. I found a You Tube on purging the air from new brake lines on that vintage RT and got them air free by using a ton of brake fluid and a combination of mighty vac and old fashioned pump the master and drain at bleeders, working top down from the ABS bleeders first then the caliper bleeders. Repeat process until you get a firm brake feel +1 more time.

Here's the set I just ordered

http://galferusa.com/store/bmw-1996-r-1100-rt-abs-multiple-lines-fk003d173-5

Thanks for the link, but when I try to change the year to 2000 abs, no lines come up at all, just calipers, etc. Thanks, Steve NH

There is no difference in the brake lines between the 1996 and 2000 model year RT. But, if you aren't sure, order the Speigler kit.

Right. Galfer verified it, 1994 to 2001 same kit.