IGNORED

New members !!

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

I see new members joining regularly. Great ! And welcome!!

But I also see between 150 and 200 GUESTS at any given time. Maybe membership that don't log in.... BUT..... If you are not a member yet and - obviously - interested in this wonderful community, then why not REGISTER !! IT IS FREE !! 😄😄ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Good point Francois! :thumbsup: My thought is more with the regular longtime members that just seem to disappear. Life happens I know, but an MIA page would be nice to keep track of these lost souls. :dontknow: A place to report a missing member or just some place they could check in and then continue on with life.

Pat

Pat, many haven't left. They are using another site which I will not even look at. Started years ago. They get to throw rocks over there, it seems to suit them.

I would venture a guess that many of the "guests" come in through a search link (Google, most likely). Say "R1150RT brake fluid change". We're the third result. They'll be back and eventually register. That's how I got here. :ohboy:

And there are plenty of search spiders.

I don't like it that some folks just join the forum to sell their stuff and then disappear.

I think unless they had a 100+ posts, they shouldn't be allowed to sell here.

Nobody benefits from a hit-n-run seller, this is not Craigs list.

Just my opinion.

I don't like it that some folks just join the forum to sell their stuff and then disappear.

I think unless they had a 100+ posts, they shouldn't be allowed to sell here.

Nobody benefits from a hit-n-run seller, this is not Craigs list.

Just my opinion.

I get what you are saying but other than here and ADV there's no other forum where I have a hundred posts. Or even ten!

I certainly won't buy anything from anybody who hasn't been here a while. And I'd be very careful selling to them, too.

I see new members joining regularly. Great ! And welcome!!

But I also see between 150 and 200 GUESTS at any given time. Maybe membership that don't log in.... BUT..... If you are not a member yet and - obviously - interested in this wonderful community, then why not REGISTER !! IT IS FREE !! 😄😄ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I lurked here for quite a while before I decided to get my R1150RT. Which I got from another board member.

This is the only forum I have over a hundred posts. I visit lots of others, but I consider this the place my friends hang out at.

Well said!!!!

This is the only forum I have over a hundred posts. I visit lots of others, but I consider this the place my friends hang out at.

Same here!

Even though I no longer own a BMW, this is where all my riding friends are. (They don't care what I ride... ;) )

:wave:

Same here!

Even though I no longer own a BMW, this is where all my riding friends are. (They don't care what I ride... ;) )

:wave:

I'll admit to having some friends on ADV too (I don't want to out anyone, but there are some crossover folks between these places...), and I also no longer have a BMW (for now...) but still come here first for lots of stuff - some of it is even bike related :)

I found this place while researching what to look for in a used BMW. Once I bought the r1150rt, I remembered the site and signed up.

I got here when I bought a K 1100 LT 13 years ago and was searching for info.

The tone of the forum, no BS, name calling etc, attracted me. It has continued to keep me here.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood? Heck ya! :thumbsup:

The fact that I've had the privilege to meet so many kind and helpful people at various events has been a real bonus.

Edited by Bud

RS or RT is how I got here, that was the search question and it became my sign in name. For some reason I didn't participate for a time and forgot my login. (realize now an easy fix)

Anyhow, finding other people that liked sport touring motorcycles and who actually traveled on them, was awesome. Glad I'm still here after all this time! :thumbsup:

Pat

RandyShields

I agree that this is a fantastic board where many of us have learned a lot and made lifelong friends. But, I don't think that putting a minimum number of posts as a qualifier to sell something would make sense, and it could hinder other board members from seeing and having the ability to buy motorcycles or gear. Heck, with my low rate of participation (only 325 posts in 16 years), I would have not been able to sell any bikes for over 5 years, and two board members would not have each gotten a pristine 1150RT or GS. I think we can generally spot someone joining just to sell or promote something, so we should be able to protect ourselves from dealing with such newbies.

Randy

Edited by RandyShields
Francois_Dumas

I agree with Randy. No need to try and 'force ' people. We just need to make things attractive enough to sign up voluntarily. And obviously not every reader will.... but just seemed to me there is a large number of anonymous readers versus logged-in ones

When I am on my PC I log in and you can tell I am a member. When I am on other devices I don't always remember the log on info. That would cause me to show as anonymous when I am not...for example my work PC for security reasons does not allow storing ID's or passwords of any kind...when I log on from work, and I do usually daily, I am anonymous. As far as selling or buying....Caveat Emptor whether new or old member...I recently bought a used tach for my boat from an EBAY long time person with maybe 10,000 post and a perfect score. The tach was pure junk. After I couldn't get it to work, I opened it up with the thought of maybe fixing it. To my surprise there was nothing in it. It had been gutted. EBAY seller claimed it worked the day he sent it..... He no longer has a perfect rating and I no longer have my money.

Francois,

After an update years ago my laptop won't keep me logged in.

So I have to sign ineach visit if I want to see red.

But plenty of time I'm ghosting as a guest.

I think there should be a post limit which when exceeded leads to a ban.

Edited by tallman
Francois_Dumas
Francois,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Francois,

I agree, it should be an automatic ban at 100,000 posts. After that, you have nothing new to say. :rofl:

Francois,

I agree, it should be an automatic ban at 100,000 posts. After that, you have nothing new to say. :rofl:

But, but, but... :dontknow:

That's only enough for ONE oil thread!