IGNORED

Clutch Replacement

MikeB60

Saw this on AdvRider. Guess there are some cases where the clutches are shot at 15,000 miles. Seems to be related to feathering the clutch off road. What peaked my interest is the ease in changing the clutch packs found in the link

Wonder if this is the same for an R1200RT 14+

I suspect the amount of feathering riding an RT on the street is way less than a GS ridden off road. So I wouldn't worry to much about that being an issue. Generally speaking clutches last longer if you can avoid slipping the clutch. On a street bike it is good practice is to get it fully engaged as soon as you can.

If you follow that thread, you see in post # 17 that the problem turns out to be a clutch lever that has been adjusted wrong.

The OP had installed after market clutch levers.

This prevented it from fully disengaging the clutch.

Wonder if this is the same for an R1200RT 14+

Had over107K+ miles on my 14RT when I traded it in on an 18RT ,never had any problem with the clutch.

I guess I didn't put the post together very well. The sky is not falling in regards to the clutch on the WC bikes. The failures seem to be related to feathering the clutch off road. The guy who wrote the how to in the link had 18000 miles on his bike when the clutch started to slip.

My point is that changing the clutch on a WC bike is a 2 hour job, might be a little more on an RT. Much easier than even my old /7 airhead.