IGNORED

Bud W

Hey folks. Wanted to say hi, introduce myself, get feedback, etc. I am a non-young person. Rode bikes for years up until my wife got pregnant and had to stop. That was 28 years ago, so looking to start again. My dream bike had always been a BMW, even when I was just a teen riding my Japanese bikes, or UJM as they call it now. 60+ years old, looking for a R1200RT. In the 2007 to 2011 group. My friends all say "get a Harley" but I say, if I am going to ride, I might as well ride well. So tips and tricks on what to look for? I saw the mirror, fuel distribution module and aluminum final drive? Anything else I should be looking for? Looked like 2008 up is best bet?or are 2007 still OK? Thanks.

Bud

Hello and welcome to BMWST.

Your at a good location if you are into BMW R series and in particularly an RT. Lots of good info here for you to take in, and keep in perspective that on the internet negative experiences get posted where as folks who never had any issues have nothing to complain about and are out riding. I will leave any particular comments about RT's from those vintages to those who actually know them well.

If your a returning rider, I think you should ride both HD and BMW as both brands make great bikes but offer a very different riding experience. The communities have a differences and you'll find that the BMW community spends a lot of time taking bout gear and accessories that improve ridability or safety of the bike and about improving their riding skills. Which ever group you find lines up with your style is all good, in the end your riding a motorcycle for enjoyment.

If you have a valid M/C license I am sure dealers for either brand will let you test ride and go ahead and try a few different models. Some folks are sure they want a certain model but after a test ride change their minds. Quite a few RT riders have switched to one of he K models after a test ride. Also you will find that BMW and HD riders switch back and forth between these brands, or have one of each if they can have two bike in the garage w/o ending up in divorce court! Even if you finally decide to go with a Hawg keep on coming back as there is plenty of good general information that works no matter what the logo is on the tank.

'07's and '08's are virtually identical.

FYI- and as historical information... the '05's and 06's were alike too. but in the 06 to 07 change they had some changes for the better. Mainly that the brake system on the '05-06's had a servo that made a whining noise- thus those two years were called "Whizzy-brake" bikes. The brakes all work fine but the 5/6's just made a noise- no big deal.

The 7's/8's do not get much on-line chatter since they just worked and didn't make a fuss about it. The good news is that you don't hear much about the years that do that...they just work.

BMW builds a bike and over the life-span of that model they make improvements and minor changes. About every 3-4-5 years they make a more or less revolutionary change... such as the 2013- to 2014 they went from air-cooled to liquid cooled engines- Big Change.

So- the idea is to find a bike you like that fits your budget and ask here as well as on other forums about that generation of bikes. People have experience and thoughts- and most are helpful

Enjoy the process.

Welcome on-board, but please consider letting us know where you live... not that it makes much difference but you may benefit from finding a pal near you that is knowledgeable....

From one Bud to another, Welcome. :wave:

Glad to have you here.

I will give you the same advice I received when I first posted here many years ago.

No matter what bike you end up choosing, budget a significant amount for good riding gear. Many of us here are All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT). Along with bright colors, it helps mitigate some of the risk of riding.

From watching the market for used BMW for a long time, there are many good values (lots of bike for the money) in used BMW's.

Good luck with your search. Post pics when finally decide.

Hi 'the other' Bud,

Welcome back to riding and this board which is a darn good source of info on BMW's. I can address the brake issue on the 'whizzy' servo (electric pump power brakes) on the 05's & 6's. There is some added complication to the routine service due to having to access the ABS unit under the gas tank for fluid changes, but also the best brakes I've had in 50 years of riding. My BMW is the only bike I've ever pulled a 'stoppie' on (it was unintentional) with 50lbs of luggage on the back. :grin:

Bud, if you're coming back to riding after a 28 year layoff, take a MSF course. Even if you already know how to ride, you will learn new things, and possibly get some incentive to "unlearn" some old habits.

• 2 weeks later...
Bud, if you're coming back to riding after a 28 year layoff, take a MSF course. Even if you already know how to ride, you will learn new things, and possibly get some incentive to "unlearn" some old habits.

This is great advice. I am always practicing and watching a guy on YouTube, MCRider. He is always putting up great safe riding videos. I get one of his videos sent to my FB page ever Friday. I plan to take some courses coming up soon. We should never stop training.

Jay