IGNORED

I Found the Groove

Flbandit

Ok, I took the Beemer up on the interstate for the first time today, and realized what this bike is made for! :) It's a dream at highway speeds (well, maybe plus a little extra) and makes me want to keep going. Too bad it's hotter than the surface of the sun here on I-4! I only went about 20 miles just to get the feel of it. I'm quite ready for some cooler weather. I'm hoping to get to go to Biketoberfest, so maybe we'll have some better weather then.

Like a sofa huh! Somewhere along the line I got old and soft, so I appreciate the comfort. The only thing that is not a plus, in the heat, is that big ol' fairing keeping the wind off. I found that if I hold the very end of the left bar, my jacket cuff is in a sweet spot wind-wise, and fills my jacket with a nice cooling breeze :grin:

I actually *want* to go ride in the rain... I hit a squall in Yosemite a couple weeks ago... stayed bone dry. Who needs foulies when you're sitting behind a barn door?

Check out the Events section, there's a get together in N-GA, FART the last week of September.

It should be a little cooler by then.

Welcome to the board.

I found that if I hold the very end of the left bar, my jacket cuff is in a sweet spot wind-wise, and fills my jacket with a nice cooling breeze :grin:

The other thing that worked for this on my R1150RT (same basic fairing as 1100), at least for me, is to "break" my wrists downward, so my forearms are slightly above my hands. It gets the sleeves above the wind shadow of the mirrors, and open them up a bit to catch more air. I can't ride in that position for very long, but it makes a nice break.

Ok, I took the Beemer up on the interstate for the first time today, and realized what this bike is made for! :)

That's ONE of the things the bike was made for. Or actually, for cruising all day on the Autobahn at high speed. I've um, heard that highway 50 across Nevada can provide a suitable simulation of that experience, but of course, that would be illegal.

You'll probably have to get out of Florida to experience the other thing the bike was made for: mountain roads!

That's sport-touring. Ride a potentially long way to get to some twisty roads, using the interstates if you have to, and have fun on the twisty roads when you get there.

It is exceptional on the highway in my opinion but what makes it great is that I live 1 mile from tightish mountain roads and it handles those well too. Torque to pull through the turns and then down through the fast country two-lanes out to the highway. It is just a great machine to explore on. I am not yet that comfortable with slow speed on gravelly roads but that will come. Getting on my bandit now makes it feel so small.

CoarsegoldKid
Like a sofa huh! Somewhere along the line I got old and soft, so I appreciate the comfort. The only thing that is not a plus, in the heat, is that big ol' fairing keeping the wind off. I found that if I hold the very end of the left bar, my jacket cuff is in a sweet spot wind-wise, and fills my jacket with a nice cooling breeze :grin:

I actually *want* to go ride in the rain... I hit a squall in Yosemite a couple weeks ago... stayed bone dry. Who needs foulies when you're sitting behind a barn door?

I totally understand what you are putting up with in California's Central Valley. My suggestion is to purchase another wind screen, used of course, and trim off almost all of it. Open the vents on your jacket and pants and also wear a cool vest.

Speaking of letting the air up your sleeve, I saw some plastic doodads awhile back that clip onto your sleeve and hold it open. I didn't get them at the time as my favorite Alpinestar gloves go over my jacket sleeves, but I may have to revise my gear if I want to do longer rides here in FL.

joeyjamb, an '02 bandit 1200s eh? The one I just sold was an '01 naked version, and a few years back I had a '99 S model. Great bike.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are pretty happy with the new ride.

Living in the Mid-Wurst where temp and humidity are often >90, I can appreciate your lack of desire to ride much.

But, check out the FART event on this forum. You will be high, cool and riding some of the best roads in the East.

Would love to see a pic of the bike.

Ride Well

Picked up an 850r back in May. I haven't able to take it out for a real long ride (2-3 tankfuls) . On the freeway between 70-80 it settles into it's sweet spot. Feels like it could go forever. My old GPZ 750 loved to go 90-100. Csn't do that many places.

Ok, I took the Beemer up on the interstate for the first time today, and realized what this bike is made for! :) It's a dream at highway speeds (well, maybe plus a little extra) and makes me want to keep going. Too bad it's hotter than the surface of the sun here on I-4! I only went about 20 miles just to get the feel of it. I'm quite ready for some cooler weather. I'm hoping to get to go to Biketoberfest, so maybe we'll have some better weather then.

Welcome! We have quite a significant contingent of riders from Florida join us for our Spring and Fall riding events (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour or "START" and Fall Appalachian Riding Tour or 'FART" .

Here's a link to the info, just sign up and show up! We'll provide routes for you to ride, and the rest is up to you! You pick when and where you want to ride and do it in your own time. Ride as much or as little as you want. Hook up with some other riders or ride solo. We generally mingle in the parking lot after the day's ride, and we'll have a group meal together on Friday night. Feel free to post in the FART thread if you have questions! I was on the board and posted for YEARS before I went to one of these. And I've never missed one since! If I'd only known what I was missing. The riding is spectacular and the folks aren't bad either!

FART info

Edited by Indy Dave

I totally understand what you are putting up with in California's Central Valley. My suggestion is to purchase another wind screen, used of course, and trim off almost all of it. Open the vents on your jacket and pants and also wear a cool vest.

Awesome idea! Of course the first thing I did was buy a NEW windscreen and SELL the old one. I could have chopped it instead! Day late & dollar short as usual:(