IGNORED

How many miles is too many?

dude99

So I've been hunting, reading, and learning all I can about BMW bikes for the last year or so. Originally I was after a K100RT, but my search has broadened a bit. I'm looking for something I can do some touring on and will comfortably move my GF and I around. All my previous bike experience has been 70's and 80's Japanese bikes (both 4 and 2 stroke) so I'm a little ignorant knowledge wise with the BMW stuff.

This bike popped up for a too good to be true price ( I know, I know) and has got me thinking.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/mcd/d/1998-bmw-r1100-rt/6637252690.html

I really wasn't interested in an Oil Head as I have heard horror stories about clutch splines sheering and surging engine issues, but the price has me rethinking that.

So basically I'm wondering, at 150,000kms, is it ready to pack it in? or at that mileage will everything that has needed doing, already have been done? any and all relevant (or irrelevant) info is appreciated :)

-thanks

So I've been hunting, reading, and learning all I can about BMW bikes for the last year or so. Originally I was after a K100RT, but my search has broadened a bit. I'm looking for something I can do some touring on and will comfortably move my GF and I around. All my previous bike experience has been 70's and 80's Japanese bikes (both 4 and 2 stroke) so I'm a little ignorant knowledge wise with the BMW stuff.

This bike popped up for a too good to be true price ( I know, I know) and has got me thinking.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/mcd/d/1998-bmw-r1100-rt/6637252690.html

I really wasn't interested in an Oil Head as I have heard horror stories about clutch splines sheering and surging engine issues, but the price has me rethinking that.

So basically I'm wondering, at 150,000kms, is it ready to pack it in? or at that mileage will everything that has needed doing, already have been done? any and all relevant (or irrelevant) info is appreciated :)

-thanks

Afternoon dude99

No real way to know how many miles are too many.

The answer is DEPENDS--

Why was it sold wholesale & is now only worth 2k with the wholesaler markup?

Usually a good 1100RT bike that sells for well under 2K used (even with just under 100, 000 miles on it) gets grabbed up by someone the person knows. (at $2000.00 list now it must have been picked up wholesale for around $1000 - $1200 or so) --- WHAT makes that particular bike only worth around 1k to the last owner???

You never know but that bike in that price range from a wholesaler would put up a big red flag for me.

Personally, if I was looking to go touring on a BMW boxer bike that particular BMW would not be on my buy list.

Now a 100,000 BMW 1100RT that was owned & cared for by a caring owner that saw good regular maintenance & wasn't abused or neglected wouldn't bother me but I would have to meet the past owner in person to judge that person & their history with that bike.

Ad is a month old, only one small picture, doesn't state it's condition, doesn't even say it runs...…..

I would pass, and I'm an optimist...…

Stan

Ok, I guess my hunt continues, I knew it was probably too good to be true...

Here's a link with some bigger pics. Probably doesn't matter though since you're both telling me to pass

https://www.internationalmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=5125816&p=1&make=bmw&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

thanks for the input gentlemen, much appreciated

Edited by dude99

I'd pass on it.

There are better deals... be patient and one will appear.

What's your budget and location?

There is a 'broker and Craigslist looker' I know, in Tewksbury, MA. He'll find ya a great deal. :thumbsup:

I have multiple friends, with a variety of BMW bikes who have rather high mileage, IMO.

One has 2 K 75;s that each have well over 400,000 miles (not k's).

Another friend with several airheads that have more than 200, 300, 400, 600,000 miles on them.

I've seen oilheads with over 400,000 miles on them'

Etc etc

Like DR said, depends.

My friends maintain and repair thier own bikes (mentioned above).

Not mentioned but also probably another 15-20 who have comparable mileages on their vintage rides.

20+ years ago at a small local rally there were over 6 riders with a million miles riding beemers.

Stuff happens. Maintain and replace/repair for a lifetime ride.

Best wishes.

2000 for an RT with 150 k miles isn't what I'd call too good to pass up. Maybe 1500. I bought my RT with 99k, but I had a good long (almost 2 hours I think) phone call with the owner before I even looked at the bike. Had a good feeling about him, I could tell he really cared for the bike in the 7 years he owned it. I tend to stay away from a bike that was owned for 6 months, you know? Dave

Hmmmm, maybe have a look at it, listen to it run, take it for a ride. Then get brave and ask for a 30 day money back deal and then make an offer. The close up pix almost looked like its been painted. Be great if you could find out who the previous owner was. Wonder if the DMV could help if you gave them the VIN. Maybe if you called BMW they could look up the VIN and see if there is any info like who the selling dealer was and if there is a service record.

Stay away would be my advice.

There must be dozens of alternative RT bikes of that age within striking distance of where you live, even in the USA. Admittedly EU, but I just looked on European Ebay for a list of 1000cc and 1150cc RT Beemers, which means bikes that are all at least 8 years old and there were fifteen pages of 'em. Many were private sales with full history docs.

No, the bike you're looking at is 20 years old and the copy is pathetically inadequate.

So to repeat, continue looking.... Soon you'll find a nice '04-onwards 1150cc RT for much the same loot as they're asking. Your only worry will be the state of the dry clutch splines and the pesky ABS, whichever individual bike you decide on.

Buena suerte,

AL in s.e. Spain

Thanks folks.

I'm actually up un Canada, BC specifically. Most of these seem to go for $4000 or so. I figured this one being so cheap was probably a dud, but figured it was worth the ask.

Thanks folks.

I'm actually up un Canada, BC specifically. Most of these seem to go for $4000 or so. I figured this one being so cheap was probably a dud, but figured it was worth the ask.

Evening dude99

Well-- that Craigslist add was placed 2 months ago. If 150,000km 1100RT's are going for $4,000.00 in your area, & that bike is still for sale, then THAT tells you what you need to know right there.

Well, odds are it's a dud but it wouldn't cost anything to have a look if it's still available. If it's been for sale for a couple months you never know maybe the seller would be motivated? What the heck, have a look and give the back wheel the old 6/12 and 3/9 o'clock shack test to maybe see if the final drive is set to implode then go for a ride. How smooth is idle and how bad does the timing chain rattle when you fire it up and how bad does it surge and how well does the trans shift? You might be surprised....and then again....probably not.

I've always enjoyed looking at old stuff and you really just never know. If you're fairly competent with a wrench you might find that diamond in the rough.

Edited by JamesW

For the mechanical individual the oilhead is a pretty great bike. All of the service can be done easily with basic hand tools. Even the larger repairs like replacing transmission bearings, or rebuilding the final drive are quite simple in comparison to some of the newer models. As to the input shaft splines, im really not sure the cause or true cure for that but mine currently have 94k and havent stripped yet.

If you are not quite handy with a wrench, I wouldnt recommend getting a bike with that high of miles because likely it will need some major repairs done in its near future. and if your not able to do them yourself you will quickly spend enough money to buy a bike with less miles.

The engines on these bikes are generally capable of 200k plus miles (some still going with twice that) , but things like the drive shaft, Final drive, transmission bearings, clutch etc are all things in question at that age. Each one of those things will probably cost 1000$ or more if you are at the mercy of a mechanic.

For the mechanical individual the oilhead is a pretty great bike. All of the service can be done easily with basic hand tools. Even the larger repairs like replacing transmission bearings, or rebuilding the final drive are quite simple in comparison to some of the newer models. As to the input shaft splines, im really not sure the cause or true cure for that but mine currently have 94k and havent stripped yet.

I have to go along with that. DIY maintenance is for sure much simpler on an oilhead than many multi-cylinder bikes I could mention as well as newer bikes from BMW. I have been tempted with the new wetheads but no thanks. I do think if I were to be interested in a new RT it would not have the premium package no way. What got me into BMW in the first place was their simplicity and ease of maintenance but that's no longer the case.

• 4 weeks later...

This.

A battery, it starts and "runs".

OK, evaluate.

No go at all?

Not at this price.

W/that many miles, most dealers won't do much wrt trade in.

Running, w/those miles not worth $1500 to seasoned mechanic rider.

Now if they are serious, tell them $250 out the door and hope you can get it on the road properly for another

$XX dollar amount.

There may be $1500-2500 worth of work to do to get on road.

Or more, or less.

Do you feel lucky?

Tallman -

¿ Did you marry a Tallahassee Lassie, down in FLA ?

Freddie Cannon, top ten 1959 : -

Two minutes and ten seconds of one-take quarter-inch-Ampex-tape gold. A real floor-filler.

But with all those Beemers gone and sold, ¿ what do you ride nowadays ?

Just askin;

AL in s.e. Spain