IGNORED

Stubby Aerial

AndyS

I'm tempted by the idea of a stubby antenna on the bike as the big one is a little distracting. This came up on another thread and was wondering how much of a drop off in performance you have noticed with a stubby.

Are any brands better than others.

Is there any research that backs this up?

I'm tempted by the idea of a stubby antenna on the bike as the big one is a little distracting. This came up on another thread and was wondering how much of a drop off in performance you have noticed with a stubby.

Is there any research that backs this up?

Morning Andy

I'm not sure of the radio frequency ranges in your country but here is the U.S. I have added many radios to motorcycles, off-road vehicles, & even a lawn tractor & found that stubby antennas (or under cowl hidden antennas) work decent for FM radio but outright terrible for AM radio (especially in an area of surrounding RFI interference).

The shorty does seem to decrease the reception range but usually not a problem unless w-a-y out in the country & far from the source.

Andy, that's my question too. There are several brands available on Amazon. The prices are similar. Most people are satisfied, but I note that there are many complaints of the threaded fasteners shearing off. I don't listen to terrestrial radio because most of my riding is cross-country touring, and I don't want to be constantly searching for new stations. So, for me, the reception isn't that important. But I do want a brand that will have a high-quality parts.

Here is the one I purchased from Amazon link Got the recommendation on the K1600 board where they are quite popular.

Thanks. I will try that one.

I was amused that one of the negative reviews mentioned reduced reception of the satellite radio -- but the satellite uses a different antenna. The other negative reviews were a few years old, and had a response from the seller offering to replace a defective item. Nice service.

Here is the one I purchased from Amazon link Got the recommendation on the K1600 board where they are quite popular.

Yep that's the same one I got. I like that when you order it specifically states it fits a R1200RT. It looks way better, works fine and makes using a cover much easier.

Thanks for the tip...just ordered one.

• 2 months later...
Any updates from someone who has used this replacement?

I bought one and didn't notice any reception difference. Mainly I bought it to avoid having to remove the standard antenna every day when I put the bike cover on. I typically listen to the FM radio using the Sena as it gets better reception...at least in the morning on the way to work listening to NPR on 88.1.

I bought the $25 one from Amazon. It fits perfectly, looks like it was OEM, and now I don't have that damned aerial whipping around in my line of sight anymore! I don't use the radio but I compared a radio station while in my garage and didn't notice the slightest difference.

I took off the OEM aerial and put a bolt in the hole. Kept the threads clear for when I put the antenna back to sell the bike, had zero interference with a cover and no effect whatever on the reception because I don't listen to terrestrial radio at all.

Has anyone tried the even shorter Stubby JR version from CravenSpeed, or other vendor? It says it is 2 inches which is about 1 inch shorter that the original Stubby.

Auto Zone has one for under $20............

I was on a trip earlier this year, and stayed at a hotel in Boise... When I came out in the morning, I found that some sub-optimal-person had stolen my OEM antenna. I remembered this post, and found a universal replacement at Autozone for about $12. I think the $20 version has a faux carbon fiber look. Woo. In any case the universal antenna did fit, although it has a wider diameter than the BMW antenna base, and so it doesn't look quite right. I can't speak to function because I don't listen to terrestrial radio.

I bought the Craven Speed replacement when I returned home from my trip, and it fits better and looks better than the Autozone item.

As an aside, on the very next evening, at another hotel in Oregon, somebody took a key and gouged a 3-inch mark on my color-matched tailcase. I wish there was a $25 fix for THAT!

I installed a stubby from AutoZone and have good reception at home have not tried it yet on the road. In fairness I got good reception with no antenna also.

LOL you must live by the radio transmitter . It's strange ...No matter where each of us live it works differently . Glad I do not have a problem with the stock antenna but did have a problem with the Amazon one witch I really liked the way it looked. The only reason i Kept the stock one was because I only use the antenna for weather alerts otherwise I hove no need for the antenna . Does anyone really use the AM/FM on there bikes ?

LOL you must live by the radio transmitter . It's strange ...No matter where each of us live it works differently . Glad I do not have a problem with the stock antenna but did have a problem with the Amazon one witch I really liked the way it looked. The only reason i Kept the stock one was because I only use the antenna for weather alerts otherwise I hove no need for the antenna . Does anyone really use the AM/FM on there bikes ?

I put one of the Stubbies on from Amazon and do really like the looks...probably pointless because I never listen to the radio (should have probably done the screw thing like a previous poster). When I used to commute on the bike, I did listen to NPR every morning on the way to work. Now that I'm retired, the radio is never turned on and I prefer to just put my song library on random.

... Does anyone really use the AM/FM on there bikes ?

Yes! For sure when commuting to work for traffic updates and some really nice NPR shows like the revamped Prairie Home Companion which is now call Live From Here which is focused on music. Great community radio in many cities as well Friday early evening @ WXPR does a nice job covering blues. commercial stations not so much!

Nothing on Stubby Jr performance? I may try it anyway. At worst it won't be any more of a waste of $ than paying stupidity tax (lottery Tix)

• 2 weeks later...

I've often thought that the OE aerial looked menacing - I could hear my mother warning "Be careful, or you'll have someone's eye out with that".........

So I purchased a Stubby from Cravenspeed, via Amazon. Very nicely finished & much more discreet than the OE antenna.

Thanks to all who contributed to the above discussion !! :beer: