IGNORED

F800R vs R Nine T

TG R1150RT

Hello All:

Looking forward transitioning to 2015-2017 F800R or R nineT from my 2004 r1150rt.

Focusing on: reliability, naked/minimum plastic style, lighter weight, easy/cost effective maintenance, fun ride!

Your thoughts and expert guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Both bikes are very similar on your points except the plastic point. I believe the R9T has an aluminum tank while the F800 has a plastic tank under a plastic shroud. Not sure if all models / years but have seen reports of the fuel tank leaking.

Hello All:

Looking forward transitioning to 2015-2017 F800R or R nineT from my 2004 r1150rt.

Focusing on: reliability, naked/minimum plastic style, lighter weight, easy/cost effective maintenance, fun ride!

Morning TG R1150RT

I have ridden both & both are fun to ride locally but neither wouldn't be near the top of my list to travel long distances on.

I am a little too large for either so I don't really fit comfortably on either.

You will have to ride each to see how YOU like either one.

On the maintenance? -- the F800R has a chain & sprockets so there more upkeep on that part & the valve adjustment on the F800R is a REAL pain (if you ride it enough miles to need that).

I (personally) think the throttle control at low speeds & at launch is better on the R nineT.

Visit a couple of BMW dealers as you can probably get a demo ride on either if you ask.

The Boxer motor and the parallel twin motor are quite different in character. Only you can choose, but I would go for the boxer/shaft drive. Less buzzy, less/easier maintenance

I test rode an F800ST a few years ago and found it to be a little dull. Ended up with an R1200RS, which has a lot more oomph.

You might want to add to the complication by trying an R1200R, same basic bike as the RS, but without the plastic and having more upright ergos.. The wethead engine is fantastic.

I test rode an F800ST a few years ago and found it to be a little dull. Ended up with an R1200RS, which has a lot more oomph.

You might want to add to the complication by trying an R1200R, same basic bike as the RS, but without the plastic and having more upright ergos.. The wethead engine is fantastic.

Afternoon hmfriedman

Unfortunately the F800ST has a rear belt drive (not a chain like the 800R) & isn't geared for performance, it is also very difficult & would be extremely expensive to change the belt drive ratio to gain performance.

The 800R, as it comes stock, has a chain drive & is still geared a bit high for performance but a simple front sprocket change will get it very close to the 800GS chain gearing & THAT can put a smile of your face on the little 800R bike. My 800GS with ME on it (I'm not a light weight) will easily keep up with my 1200RT up to about 65 mph, after that the 1200RT will quickly bury it.

Hello All:

Let's go do some test driving next weekend but you know I will be suggesting anything with a boxer engine :)

Both bikes are very similar on your points except the plastic point. I believe the R9T has an aluminum tank while the F800 has a plastic tank under a plastic shroud. Not sure if all models / years but have seen reports of the fuel tank leaking.

I believe that's true of the original R9T, but I think the newer, less expensive variants (and their are several) use a plastic tank and/or shroud.

The Boxer motor and the parallel twin motor are quite different in character. Only you can choose, but I would go for the boxer/shaft drive. Less buzzy, less/easier maintenance

+1 preference for the smooth and powerful camhead boxer motor over the Rotax parallel twin. Also I think an R9T would hold its resale value much better.

fourteenfour

I like my F800GT very much, I know it is not the R but I did own a R9T and would still choose the F800GT over it. I like the lighter weight and the fact I can easily add real bags to it.