IGNORED

Cleaning jacket/gear?

R65_Steve

Spent a long hot day in MSF training yesterday and I'm thinking that at some point I will want (need) to clean my gear.

Between sweat, pollen and road junk it will need it (it's newish now)

I keep getting logged out when doing a search. Anyhow, how do you all clean such gear? It's a mesh jacket and pants

Most gear requires you to remove the armor. Motoport is the only one I can think of that says "just zip it up and put it in the washer"!

Don't use hot water. Don't put it in the dryer. A gentle cycle is what I use. You may want to pretreat really grubby areas as a gentle cycle doesn't do much for really tough stains.

Joe Frickin' Friday

After removing the armor, I hand-washed my jackets in a bathtub with ordinary laundry detergent. Afterwards, you can put it in the washer to spin-dry it so that it'll dry quicker after you hang it up.

Most gear requires you to remove the armor. Motoport is the only one I can think of that says "just zip it up and put it in the washer"!

Don't use hot water. Don't put it in the dryer. A gentle cycle is what I use. You may want to pretreat really grubby areas as a gentle cycle doesn't do much for really tough stains.

Actually and to my surprise Klim suggest you SHOULD put it in the dryer!

Drying with heat recharges the DWR on the fabric surface. After your GORE-TEX® item is completely dry, we recommend to put it back into the dryer for an extra twenty (20) minutes to guarantee that the DWR is re-activated.DWR is important! Without it, the surface fabric of your gear will “wet-out” faster. You'll still be dry on the inside (thanks to the GORE-TEX® membrane) but conductive heat loss and comfort can quickly make your day less enjoyable. Water conducts heat 23-times as fast as air. You want DWR to work as long as possible to keep the conductive heat loss to a minimum. DWR is not permanent and will wear off. Drying re-activates it many times but re-applying a DWR treatment is a big step in prolonging comfort.

Well, that is good to know! I will check and see if my Olympia non mesh gear says anything about that. I know the outer shell water shedding is important from my Aerostich's use and care. But the OP posted about mesh gear and I think I will stand with not taking a chance in the dryer with it.

Armor out, turn jacket inside out to protect color fade....just ask wife she will tell you turning inside out protects color....Wash according to tag...….Drip dry on padded hangar to protect shoulder contour. I wash mine several times a year.

Follow the manufacturers instructions on the tag?

How dare you suggest something so logical! :)

If you wash Motorport gear DO NOT use a top loader. It will break the center agitator mechanism. Front loaders are OK.

Is "motorsport" a brand, or do you mean ANY motorcycle jacket/pants/gear. I might be in luck, my machine has no center agitator.

Well, that is good to know! I will check and see if my Olympia non mesh gear says anything about that. I know the outer shell water shedding is important from my Aerostich's use and care. But the OP posted about mesh gear and I think I will stand with not taking a chance in the dryer with it.

LOL .... I too have an Olympia mesh Dakar that I will need to launder. It seems as though Olympia says if the item is not waterproof you can machine wash and dry on cool. But as someone else posted it is best to check the manufacturers site for their specific instructions.

I use olympia air gear. I called them once to ask about cleaning. Their response was to take the padding out and then wash it with Woollite. That means soaking it in a tub, then rinse and hang dry.

Lone_RT_rider

Since my Olympia mesh Jacket is getting long in the tooth (and probably stinky), I went to their website and checked the FAQ's. It seems different manufacturers give different recommendations. I know, not surprising.

This is what I found for all Olympia products.

Quick Method – Jacket and Pants Outer Shells and Liners

For heavily soiled garments, pre-treat with Simple Green Degreaser. Similar pre-wash sprays such as Shout or Oxi Magic are also effective but we find Simple Green gets the best results. Be sure to follow the10 to1, water to spay dilution ratio recommended by Simple Green. Spray a light coat over the entire surface and gently work in with the soft and rough side of a dish sponge. Next, rinse off the garment with a garden hose, then pat dry with a towel and let hang dry away from direct heat. As the garment will not be totally submerged in water, it is acceptable to leave the protectors in place while washing. After the garment is dry, shoot the interior with a generous coating of Febreze anti odor spray.

Hand Washing – Jacket and Pants Outer Shells and Liners

For heavily soiled garments, pre-treat with Simple Green Degreaser or a similar pre-wash spray as recommended above. The shell can then be submerged in a mild solution of Woolite and Luke warm water for gentle hand washing. Be sure to remove all the protectors before washing. After washing, pat dry with a towel and let hang dry away from direct heat.

Caution – Machine Washing and Drying or Dry Cleaning

Machine washing and drying and dry cleaning is not recommended for our out shells and the majority of our liner systems as this will break down the micro bead technology found in the 3M Scotchlite reflective trim and the heat sealed seam tape used on our waterproof garments.

Exceptions for Machine Washing and Drying or Dry Cleaning

As the following items are not constructed with waterproof seam seal heat tape and do not include reflective detailing, they can be machined washed on gentle cycle in mild detergent and placed in a dryer on a cool temperature setting. Dry cleaning is also acceptable. Ranger liner jacket, Ranger liner pants, Promax liner pant, MotoQuest soft shell liner jacket plus the removable quilted insulation layer for the Airglide, Alpha, Dakar, MotoQuest and Expedition jackets.

Is "motorsport" a brand, or do you mean ANY motorcycle jacket/pants/gear. I might be in luck, my machine has no center agitator.

The "brand name" is "MOTOPORT." Their gear is mesh and stretch Kevlar. It's so strong that it will break the center agitator mechanism on many top loading washing machines.

The "brand name" is "MOTOPORT." Their gear is mesh and stretch Kevlar. It's so strong that it will break the center agitator mechanism on many top loading washing machines.

I never considered the risk to a washing machine, but I have been washing mine by hand soaking in a bucket then rinsing with a water hose outside the house. Then drip drying in the garage.

Edited by sardineone
I use olympia air gear. I called them once to ask about cleaning. Their response was to take the padding out and then wash it with Woollite. That means soaking it in a tub, then rinse and hang dry.

To clean my Olympic AG4 and AG5 jacket I remove the armor and take it to the laundromat where I use a front loading washer set on delicate, warm water and extra rinse,then bring it home and hang it to air dry , this does a much better job than hand washing .

Since my Olympia mesh Jacket is getting long in the tooth (and probably stinky), I went to their website and checked the FAQ's. It seems different manufacturers give different recommendations. I know, not surprising.

This is what I found for all Olympia products.

Quick Method – Jacket and Pants Outer Shells and Liners

For heavily soiled garments, pre-treat with Simple Green Degreaser. Similar pre-wash sprays such as Shout or Oxi Magic are also effective but we find Simple Green gets the best results. Be sure to follow the10 to1, water to spay dilution ratio recommended by Simple Green. Spray a light coat over the entire surface and gently work in with the soft and rough side of a dish sponge. Next, rinse off the garment with a garden hose, then pat dry with a towel and let hang dry away from direct heat. As the garment will not be totally submerged in water, it is acceptable to leave the protectors in place while washing. After the garment is dry, shoot the interior with a generous coating of Febreze anti odor spray.

Hand Washing – Jacket and Pants Outer Shells and Liners

For heavily soiled garments, pre-treat with Simple Green Degreaser or a similar pre-wash spray as recommended above. The shell can then be submerged in a mild solution of Woolite and Luke warm water for gentle hand washing. Be sure to remove all the protectors before washing. After washing, pat dry with a towel and let hang dry away from direct heat.

Caution – Machine Washing and Drying or Dry Cleaning

Machine washing and drying and dry cleaning is not recommended for our out shells and the majority of our liner systems as this will break down the micro bead technology found in the 3M Scotchlite reflective trim and the heat sealed seam tape used on our waterproof garments.

Exceptions for Machine Washing and Drying or Dry Cleaning

As the following items are not constructed with waterproof seam seal heat tape and do not include reflective detailing, they can be machined washed on gentle cycle in mild detergent and placed in a dryer on a cool temperature setting. Dry cleaning is also acceptable. Ranger liner jacket, Ranger liner pants, Promax liner pant, MotoQuest soft shell liner jacket plus the removable quilted insulation layer for the Airglide, Alpha, Dakar, MotoQuest and Expedition jackets.

Thanks Shawn! We saw some other directions on Olympia years ago and missed the update... Putting Simple Green on the shopping list.