IGNORED

Planning 2019 Cross-Country...Timing?

I plan to ship to San Francisco and head back east to MA for my 2019 journey. As always, I expect weather to happen. My tentative plan has me routed through Yosemite(Tioga Pass), Zion/,Bryce NP's, Million Dollar Highway, Pikes Peak, Independence Pass, then eastward. Because of the elevations involved, I realize that early/mid Spring time is not the time to ride this route. Is it a gamble doing this route in the mid-late June?. It's usually better that I do a ride while my kids are still in school...easier for my wife. For silly reasons, I would like to do this trip as early as possible in 2019. The silly reason being: I DON'T WANT TO WAIT!! If I were to do the trip, say, after Labor Day 2019, I'd be waiting a whole year from now. Anyway, I'd love to hear opionions from people who have experienced these parts at varying times of the year. Thank you!

In my opinion just go when you want to. The weather patterns are so different now you can't say what's usual now.

Just have several different routes planned just in case weather closes in.

I've seen Independence Pass open in May and one year closed until July .

Have a great ride !!!!

Colorado mountain passes that time of year can be "interesting," Rain, hail, lightning - I've experienced all three. Want to ride up Pike's Peak? Plan to do it early. Hot air coming off the eastern plains mixes with cool mountain air with the end result being rain cloud formation and an eventual dump. Oh, I forgot one other thing. Snow....., yes, snow. Maybe. Just remember the 'ol Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared! ;)

I need to follow up on my previous post. I attended the first Un in Gunnison and remember walking up to my RT one morning to find my seat covered in frost. By 11 that morning it was hot. Just make sure you have several jackets and undergarments ready to change into or out of.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Tioga should be ok. Fortunately, there's a website with road clearing data. Zion, Million Dollar etc you might want to avoid monsoon season (approx. July start) unless there's a need to have your bike cleaned by Nature.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're up by Yellowstone you should definitely do Beartooth Pass. I found some nice riding in northeast WY / western SD between Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore (with which I was unimpressed).

Some of the mentioned (like Beartooth) might be a crapshoot in June (heck, Donner Pass even closes in May sometimes, ask me how I know) but all the state DOT websites are your friend. I'd make sure to ride around Spearfish though, the Canyon ride is really nice. Biggest hurdle is riding back across Kansas...but Colorado is one divine state to ride.

Electric gear would be a great addition if you don't already have some. When your core is being warmed, the rest of your body appreciates it as well.