IGNORED

Update on my wreck

jaycassetta

On 8-24-18 I was in a bad wreck. I wrote about it in my intro post last week.

So my insurance adjuster called me and said that the repair would be over $1800.00 just from what he could see. I should know by tonight or tomorrow if it is totaled or not, but it sounds like it will be.

If it's totaled I plan to see if Morton's BMW can get me the exact same bike. A 2018 R1200RT, white in color and all the same packages for my replacement. I don't want the 2019 with the VVT as I'm sure it will cost more and I don't like buying first year productions of any vehicle.

The other driver's insurance called and their insured admitted fault and they have accepted liability for the accident. They also said they will pay for a new helmet and gear that was damaged in the wreck.

I'm still extremely sore and painful. Since the accident I can only sleep in the recliner in the living room. It is extremely painful to cough or sneeze.

I'll post when I have an update on whether the bike it totaled or not.

Jay

I wouldn't suspect they'd total it for $1800 dollars it being over twenty grand to replace it. Too bad, I'd rather start fresh but I'm sure they will fix it up like new. :thumbsup:

Pat

Sounds like a very low estimate. Of course, you know not to sign any check that has a total settlement clause on the back, before you have been thoroughly checked by medical professionals.

That's the estimate from my insurance adjuster. They do not dig into the bike and determine what is damaged inside. Also the bike will not turn on electricly so it can't be started. Im sure if the insurance adjuster doesn't total it when BMW starts digging in it will be. Repair needs to hit 80% of market value to be totaled so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Jay

I expect he meant to add another zero!

Yes, This is a BMW, there is no way they could replace even the parts we know were damaged for $1800.

My bike sustained impacts to the forks, front right of the bike and the tale end. The widescreen was ripped off, the right faring ripped off along with the rest of the plastic cracked or ripped off on the right side. antifreeze was everywhere and a lot of electric components were hanging out of the right side. Both mirrors were crushed. The left handlebar struck the tank and the plastic on both sides of the tank are popped loose.
Edited by lkraus
That's the estimate from my insurance adjuster. They do not dig into the bike and determine what is damaged inside. Also the bike will not turn on electricly so it can't be started. Im sure if the insurance adjuster doesn't total it when BMW starts digging in it will be. Repair needs to hit 80% of market value to be totaled so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Jay

Stop.Immediately get a qualified BMW estimate.

$1800 wouldn't cover the mirrors.

We've had over $1500 when a rider fell over in parking lot.

Do not sign any releases.

Go to a doctor.

It often takes time for issues to manifest.

I hope they don't, but you are in pain, you can't do regular tasks, etc.

Keep it arm's length.

You must come out better than you were, you didn't cause the crash.

Don't be in a hurry because you want a bike back, they'll count on that emotion.

Best wishes.

Joe Frickin' Friday
We've had over $1500 when a rider fell over in parking lot.

Mine fell over in the parking lot, and the repair bill was $3400.

I'm still extremely sore and painful. Since the accident I can only sleep in the recliner in the living room. It is extremely painful to cough or sneeze.

Jay

Since the other driver clearly caused you injury (possibly multiple) and you are still suffering physical restrictions from it, get regular doctor follow ups.

I hope the other driver received a traffic citation. This was a serious collision resulting in injury and property damage. I would remove myself from dealing directly at all with the other driver's insurance company (their concern is solely for their and their client's interests) -- get an attorney to deal with the other party's insurance company (or, rather, the insurance company's lawyer).

My 2c.

Sorry to all, I have been sick on top of my injuries and have not been on line since my last post in this thread. Sneezing and coughing have been an exercise in torture with a bruised sternum and rib cage.

Yes, it was a typo that I didn't even catch when pointed out. The damage was $18,000,00 not $1800.00. My insurance company totaled the bike and I have a new bike on order. Morton's BMW has been awesome on helping me get a new bike. It is being ordered and hopefully will arrive by the end of the week. It will then sit until my crash bars and BarBacks arrive and they will install them. I hope to be able to ride by then, but doubt it since I am still wearing a brace on my left wrist.

I settled settled on my old bike with my insurance company and I am just awaiting for funds to be deposited in my bank account.

Here is an interesting side note on my accident. I have been saying that the car that hit me had come over into my lane so quickly that I never had time to hit my horn.Well, when I met with my adjuster last week I we looked at my bike and noticed that the left handle bar was undamaged except that the Wonder Wheel was jammed to the right and the turn signal switch was broken off. My assumption was that I was unconsciously reaching for the horn button when I was struck and broke the Wonder Wheel and the turn signal switch with my thumb when I was struck. This makes sense since my left thumb is sprained.

I believe the reason my thumb was on the turn signal was that when I had the BarBacks installed the entire left handlebar control cluster was rotated towards me and when I would reach for the horn I was hitting the turn signal. I had an appointment with my BMW dealer made for the week following the accident to have that left control cluster rotated back to its proper position.

Jay

Since the other driver clearly caused you injury (possibly multiple) and you are still suffering physical restrictions from it, get regular doctor follow ups.

I hope the other driver received a traffic citation. This was a serious collision resulting in injury and property damage. I would remove myself from dealing directly at all with the other driver's insurance company (their concern is solely for their and their client's interests) -- get an attorney to deal with the other party's insurance company (or, rather, the insurance company's lawyer).

My 2c.

John,

I have been seeing my Dr. regularly. The other driver did not receive a ticket from the reporting Deputy. When the Deputy responded to the hospital to get my account of the accident had advised me he did not issue her a ticket. I asked why and his response was "well, you were in her blind spot". It had really pissed me off until the insurance company for the lady who hit me called me and advised me that they had accepted all fault in the accident and have requested copies of my medical bills and my damaged property (ie Helmet, jacket and such) reciepts. I do not plan to retain an attorney and will deal directly with the other insurance as I feel I will do just as well without an attorney and will keep 100% of my settlement.

Jay

Francois_Dumas

America is a really weird country. I had my front wheel lock up and slid off the rode, and got a $ 110 fine for falling off my own bike, on my own, by a pure little mishap, citing irresponsible driving (which I wasn't).. And here is somebody drive you off the road, causing injury and damage, and she doesn't get a citation !!??

Here's why I am not driving/riding in the US anymore..... :dopeslap::rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday
When the Deputy responded to the hospital to get my account of the accident had advised me he did not issue her a ticket. I asked why and his response was "well, you were in her blind spot".

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That...is infuriating. It will forever be in a rider's best interest to minimize their residence time in blind spots, but that does not absolve other drivers of their responsibility to check their damn blind spot before changing lanes. Plenty of good, smart cops out there; sorry to hear you got served by an idiot.

Is he hoping to head off the potential of civil action? Not that that should be any concern of his, that's the only thing that comes to mind.

My 2c.

John,

I have been seeing my Dr. regularly. The other driver did not receive a ticket from the reporting Deputy. When the Deputy responded to the hospital to get my account of the accident had advised me he did not issue her a ticket. I asked why and his response was "well, you were in her blind spot". It had really pissed me off until the insurance company for the lady who hit me called me and advised me that they had accepted all fault in the accident and have requested copies of my medical bills and my damaged property (ie Helmet, jacket and such) reciepts. I do not plan to retain an attorney and will deal directly with the other insurance as I feel I will do just as well without an attorney and will keep 100% of my settlement.

Jay

Very glad you're seeing Dr. regularly.

So the investigating officer thinks we can all go around crashing into anybody who's in a "blind spot." The only reason that driver didn't see you is because she didn't LOOK before changing lanes. No way should that guy be a police officer.

The reason I suggested an attorney is to remove your own emotion and pain from coloring your decisions regarding any settlement. The whole incident and its aftermath are serious ordeals for you. The insurance company lawyers don't have to contend with their own emotion and physical pain while making decisions -- they only want to lessen any settlement as much as possible and close the books on it quickly and permanently. That's their job. Just saying that having your own attorney handle it would reduce your worries and almost certainly result in a settlement that would provide more for you. I'm not a lawyer, btw!

Regardless, I'm really happy that you're recovering and pretty soon you'll be out there on your new RT! Morton's is a good place -- I've bought two RTs there.

Yes, you get to keep 100%.

But, 100% of what?

No offense, unless you do this for a living you have no realistic POV.

Get an atty, Stop talking to the other side. They aren't doing you any favor or being nice.

Arm's length. Said it earlier.

You will get screwed no matter what because you're hurt and bike depreciated.

They need to make you better than you were.

Blind spot?

Is he DMV or legislature?

Blind spots aren't there if mirror adjusted properly.

Get his statement in writing at deposition.

Basically he is reinforcing fact you were operating legally.

Do not accept first offer.

Get an attorney.

BTDT.

I'm a statistical anomaly.

Been hit and run on motorcycle, bicycle, and as pedestrian.

The damage may "heal" but the effects will last a lifetime.

Your bike, your body, but no way "they" are going to treat you properly.

Not in the job description.

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman