IGNORED

won't start

RAMBLIN RED

2000 r1100rt

sat on the bike, switch on, I hear the fuel pump cycle, side stand up and rider display comes on, hit the start button and nothing. Kill switch is in the run position and battery is strong ( well, lights are bright horn is as loud as you would expect) and the fuses at least look good. Any suggestions?

you can try pulling the clutch in then hitting the starter button and fiddling with the stand up and down a few times . if you are in the habit of using the kill switch, try working the switch 10 times or so.

then put a Digital volt meter on the battery and see what goes there . see what your static voltage is . then what happens to the voltage when you hit the starter button .

you don't mention the age of the battery . always important to check the tightness of the batt cables as well.

Edited by Tri750

thanks for the reply. I don't use the kill switch normally but when I do move it to the off position the RID goes off as it does for the side stand in the down position. I think that tells me they are operating properly. I don't know the age of the battery but the previous owner said it is new. It doesn't seem like I am getting a complete circuit to the starter so I am searching for the starter relay. I can't identify the gadgets on the left side of the fuse box in the owners manual or in Clymers, so you know I am stumbling around.

Ok....now it runs. I wiggled those relays around or pressed down on them and the angels smiled. I want to remove them and clean the contacts but I hesitate to pull hard, so is there a locking tab or do I just need to pull harder?

Edited by RAMBLIN RED

It just pulls out. There should be a little grabber thingy in the fuse box.

That being said, a bad starter relay is pretty unusual. It's usually the neutral switch, or the clutch switch, or both. Were you in neutral with a green light? No green light means the bike doesn't recognize neutral. Even if the bike doesn't recognize neutral it should start with the clutch in, unless the clutch switch is also bad.

If they're both bad, the bike won't start, but you still have cheap options. if you pull the starter relay you can jump hole 2 to hole 6 with the key on and the bike will start. You can also jump the clutch switch by cutting the wires going to the switch and wiring them together.

I was able to identify the relays and I realized I didn't touch the starter relay so I don't know what is going on. To answer your question, neutral light on and clutch in. Now, it does have a lazy neutral light. But now that it runs it will be hard to find, if/when it re-occurs I will bypass the clutch switch