IGNORED

2000 R1100S Center Stand

spacewrench

I bought a 2000 R1100S with ~65k miles, and just completed my first upgrade: I installed Suburban Machinery's bar risers. The left side was the easiest thing I've ever done on any bike, and that includes putting on stickers! Right side was significantly more work, because I also put on a custom set of Galfer brake lines. First time I've ordered made-to-my-own-measurement lines, but it went fairly well...if I was to redo it, I'd probably make the right line below the T an inch longer, and the line above the T an inch shorter. Maybe I'll get a rear hose made, to replace that crazy & ugly plumbing pipe running around the footpeg and out to the back caliper.

But!

One unexpected problem is my centerstand: it's only tall enough to slightly reduce the load on the tires. Neither end of the bike gets lifted enough for the tire to rotate. This means it's absurdly easy to put the bike up, but I only have about 3% confidence that a good bump won't roll it back off the stand. In particular, I had thought to pull the front wheel off while working on the brakes (turns out not to be necessary, as everybody but me probably knows). However, my normal technique of centerstand + jack under the engine to tilt onto the back wheel, didn't work -- the centerstand doesn't lift the back end high enough. So if you jack under the engine, you quickly end up lifting the centerstand and wobbling on two linear points: the jack and the rear tire. Even with a couple people holding the bike steady, I wasn't able to get the front wheel off easily.

Is this a result of a lowering kit, shortened centerstand, or just par for the course? (I don't know whether I have a lowering kit, but the bike is definitely low and narrow: I can easily flatfoot it at 5'6".). Any other tricks for that inevitable day when I need the wheels well off the ground so I can swap tires or something?

Not helpful when on the road, but a piece of plywood under the stand will bring you up enough to remove tires and perform other tasks.

I have parked the R1150RT on a pavement with the rear wheel overhanging the kerb in order to drop the wheel out for a tyre change before. Be careful - I don't remember whether there was a stability risk where the bike could rock back that much further.

Is the short centerstand par for the course? Or is this an unusual situation I should look into more? (Should've thought to put a board under the centerstand -- I had some available, and even used one to chock under the engine so I wasn't jacking directly against the oil pan!)

I have an 04 R1100S and the centerstand measures 250 mm from the floor to the centerline of the frame mounting bolt. The lifts the rear wheel about 3/4" off the ground which is sufficient to remove the rear wheel. Then, as you do, I use a scissors jack with a hard rubber spacer under the engine to tilt the bike back to remove the front wheel. I normally for easier removal of the front remove the front fender. I am 5'-10" and can stand flat foot on the bike, so maybe yours does have a lowering kit and the centerstand was modified. Hope this information helps.

Perhaps your bike has the sport suspension installed. On my Boxer Cup Replika (with sport suspension) I have the same problem. I use a piece of 1X6 wood under it and then it works like a normal centerstand. I also have a piece of 2X6 wood for getting it higher when I need that. My '99 S didn't have this problem. And yes, it is harder to get OFF the centerstand because there is less weight on the c/s and it slides forward on smooth surfaces.

Frank

Edited by duckbubbles