IGNORED

hurricanes

walton66

One year ago today, I had evacuated and was watching and wondering what was happening to my home as Cat 4 hurricane Irma was passing 10 miles from it. I know everyone has already heard many times that hurricane Florence is headed for the SC/NC area but I wanted to throw my $.02 in and say get ready and stay safe. Besides the impact of the wind, it will likely send a lot of rain inland.

My friends in the Keys are still dealing with the aftermath of Irma one year later.. Definitely take this hurricane serious if you are in the affected area...

I live on the southern end of the outerbanks. CapeLookout is a 5 min. boat ride. Just got done with storm prep, but if things keep shaping up as they look,

my wife and I are getting out of Dodge.

I never took hurricanes seriously (few did) as a teen in FL in the 70s. My first experience was David in 1979. We tied off our boat and scampered off to a local hotel about a mile from our house - how stupid was that?. The storm passed and the sun eventually came out - didn't seem to be too big of a deal. Well, that damned storm took the lives of over 2,000 people - a stat I didn't remember. Then Andrew hit - I never heard a sound quite like that in my life. Years later, as a home-owning adult (and a co-worker of a bunch of people who live in South and West Florida) I'll never forget the storm season of 2004, probably the most destructive on record for the US. Charley, in particular, was tricky as it was forecast as a Cat 2 a few hours before coming ashore. Then it spun up to a Cat 4 and took a hard turn for the coast with many people unprepared. Blam - blasted the beach upon which I proposed to my wife to smithereens. Four major hurricanes buzzed through here that year. Then last year happened, bringing both Maria and Irma 10 days apart which made all of the preceding storms seem like child's play. We have employees in Puerto Rico who are still living with relatives due to Maria having destroyed their homes. I lost power for Irma for only two weeks, most in PR lost power for 4 months. I've been to PR since these storms (actually got stuck in an elevator during a brief power outage - how cliché). It isn't pretty.

Good thing you can see these things coming well in advance, so batten down those hatches if you are in the path, then do what taylor1 is wisely doing. Bring donuts to the power line workers afterward. Just because.

Grew up in Miami and have seen a few 'canes. They seem to be getting worse as time goes by. In the '40's and '50's it was a way to get out of school for a day or two.

Yep '04 was a doozy especially for S. Fla, 4 majors in a row. I left Jax just ahead of the 4th, Ivan, on the way to an RA Rally in W.Va. That morning skies were black to the South, I made it to Highlands, N.C. The next morning skies were black to the south, stopped at Sylva Walmart for waterproof boots : ) Made it to Canaan Valley WV that night, got in a short ride the next morning before it hit. 150 BMW riders hunkered down in front of a green and yellow tv screen for a day and a half. Sunday was cool and clear, headed south on 220 then up to the Parkway. Parkway was closed, I rode around the gate and took it 40 miles to Roanoke. Lot of debris, rode around and over several trees down (1150GS), was surrealistic having the road all to yourself. Was dark by the time I got to Cullowhee and 107 was closed to Cashiers. Rode around the sign and road was clear. A couple miles up 64 tho one whole lane was gone from a slide but made it to my mom's house. Had to park 100yds away lots of big trees down but no damage to the house, no electricity. Rode home the next day. Found out later several homes washed down mountansides in the area with some deaths.

I lived in Eustis when Donna hit Fla in 1960. Got up in the middle of the night mom was in the kitchen, I asked why it was so calm, she said we're in the eye. :grin: Of course nobody knew exactly where they were or were going in those days : ) Lived in Daytona when Dora skirted the coast ('64) before slamming into St. Aug, I went down to the beach, a few brave fellows had paddled out, it looked like Waimea Bay to a Fla boy, offshore wind and all.

Saw the remnants of Hugo 100 miles inland in S.C., not pretty. Was at home when Mathew hit in 2016, no electricity for 3 days, looking out the window watching the trees bend. Some neighbors were without for 2 weeks. Went to Colorado last Sept. Irma hit 3 days later, my house is still recuperating slowly.

Living on the Gulf Coast of South Texas for over 30 years, and also being a firefighter for most of those years, I have experienced more hurricanes, tropical storms, and tropical depressions than I can recall.

Of all the incidents borne out of these storms, this one is kind of unique:

On August 10, 1980, Hurricane Allen was set to make a direct hit on Brownsville, Texas. Allen was a category 5 with sustained winds at 170 as it approached Brownsville. It stalled and just sat off shore with no clear indication of when it would make landfall. This of course heighten everyone's tension which was already high. The head of the NWS in Brownsville was my neighbor, Richard Hagan. Hagan issued this closing teletype message late in the afternoon of August 9, 1980:

"No storm of this strength has struck this area in recorded history. We can offer only some ideas of what has happened in other areas in storms of similar strength. From now on, we must just endure. Many people have had to go through hurricanes and have survived.

"May God help us."

As you might imagine that statement went "viral" before there was viral. It succeeded in really scaring many residents as well as my relatives who were following the storm from distant states.

I live on the southern end of the outerbanks. CapeLookout is a 5 min. boat ride. Just got done with storm prep, but if things keep shaping up as they look,

my wife and I are getting out of Dodge.

Don't wait too long. Last year with Irma all of Florida was a parking lot with peeps taking 24 hrs to get from Miami to Jacksonville.... Either get out now or be stuck in traffic and deal with idiots on the roads. YMMV

I live on Pleasure Island, 17 miles South of Wilmington. I never evacuate. It is not because I am not afraid of what a storm can do; but rather how officials react after the storm. You cannot get back to your house. I was in Columbia, SC when Floyd hit and had to charter a helicopter to land me on the beach. I was met by some kid in a National Guard uniform who decided to point his weapon at me. His mistake.

I live on Pleasure Island, 17 miles South of Wilmington. I never evacuate. It is not because I am not afraid of what a storm can do; but rather how officials react after the storm. You cannot get back to your house. I was in Columbia, SC when Floyd hit and had to charter a helicopter to land me on the beach. I was met by some kid in a National Guard uniform who decided to point his weapon at me. His mistake.

I live on Hatteras Island and I agree 100% It often takes weeks to return.

Bring donuts to the power line workers afterward. Just because.

It's random acts like that that, even though I don't need a reminder, that cause me to remember why I am proud to call you a friend.

Bring donuts to the power line workers afterward. Just because.

It's random acts like that that, even though I don't need a reminder, that cause me to remember why I am proud to call you a friend.

No so fast, I kept the Jellies for myself.

its-a-jelly1.jpeg

I'm currently on a long ride which took me through Ottawa, Quebec, New Brunswick, Maine, and I'm currently at Max BMW in NH getting some tires. I was planning to continue south along the coast but I'm sure that won't be a good idea. So I'm turning West and heading toward Vermont, and New York. This is one reason why I never plan more than a couple days in advance.

highway 12 is closed due to over wash, some damage to ocean side rentals but no serious flooding. Wind is slowing down so I think we dodged a bullet. OldBMWmaster is in the thick of it in Wilmington area.

Harkers Island spared. Wind not water is always the problem here. Down East all flooded. Have a friend that just bought a house in New Bern 2 months ago.

Water half way up her 1st floor.

Mitch,

I can't determine if this guy leads the tin foil hat society or there's something to his thoughts about the sun's (our star's) impact on earth weather, quakes, etc.

Hi, can't watch the video right now.

From what I have been able to find, the answer leans more towards the tin hat end of the spectrum. I might have time later today to watch the video.

Space Weather appears to be a more reliable, science backed source.

Watched the video, wow.

Covers a lot of material without really explaining anything.

My opinion (physicist - even managed to get a graduate degree) - it is a bunch of crap.

• 3 weeks later...