IGNORED

Wethead fluid specs

BrianM

Bought a wethead.

I (mostly) RTFM.

I found specs for the oil. Noticed starting in 2014 started specifying oil with no additives, in particular molybdenum.

Do JASO MA2 oils have molybdenum (or other bmw prohibited additives)?

No spec for final drive oil. Have some left from my camhead (BMW/Landrover), will this work in the wethead?

Is the antifreeze the blue BMW antifreeze (same as cars)?

Brake fluid DOT 4?

Is the clutch fluid same as camhead (mineral oil)?

Thanks

Oil questions are a loaded question. You'll get all kinds of answers and reasoning. I only use the Liqui-Moly oils from BeemerBoneyard. It's JASO M2 safe for the wetheads. Most dealers use the Castrol 06113 Power1 4T 5W-40 Synthetic. I'll just leave it at that.

Any DOT4 fluid.

Anti-freeze, not sure.

Final drive, Liqui-Moly 75w90 synthetic. GL5 rated.

By "clutch fluid" you mean the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir? The wethead clutch is a wet-clutch that uses the engine lubricant for cooling.

I mean the fluid used at the clutch lever.

Clutch fluid in the left grip reservoir is mineral oil. AFIK it never needs changing - doesn't pick up moisture like DOT4. Flush/refill of clutch oil is not on any of the regular service checklists (6K, 12K, annual, biennial), just check and top up if needed.

Clutch fluid is the same mineral oil as in previous models.

FD uses the same oil and volume as previous models also, which means that your LandRover oil is perfect! That is also what I had always used, and it meets BMW's spec. perfectly.

BTW, all of the data IS in the manual! :)

Where? 2018 manual.

Thanks

You should be able to google to find the 2018 manual in pdf format (free) and then search the text in it.

Where? 2018 manual.

Thanks

I am assuming that the '18 manual is the same as my '15 manual, in this regard!

BTW, if you want to get a pdf manual, you can get it here: BMW Motorrad International

Now, you can search it for your info!

Edited by PadG

Where? 2018 manual.

Thanks

OK, I have to apologize! Just checked the Riders Manual, and the information that you asked are not in there! Guess that I have been doing it for so long that I recalled their source incorrectly. The information are actually in the RepROM.

Edited by PadG

How much is the RepROM?

Is it worth getting?

If you do any kind of work other than basic maintenance I think it's worth it. Very detailed step by step instructions with excellent graphics. Much better than the Haynes manual.