IGNORED

2004 R1150R fuel pump removal

tundra

Hello, I am trying to change the fuel pump on my bike. I have removed it out of the tank, the fuel pump is held in by a type of plastic retainer system, has anyone else ran into this? Is there a special tool to open this to remove the fuel pump cartridge? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tundra,

I believe, once you remove the attached fuel hose it is a simple friction fit and/or a simple retaining clip you can remove without any tools. The fuel filter (sock) is also a friction fit that should just pop off.

Thanks for the reply Claudio, that is what I thought as well, it sits in the metal housing it has a plastic sleeve that has tabs on it, I spread those tabs and the cartridge will not budge. I even grabbed it with channel locks and it still didn't budge. I will keep plugging away at it.

Give it a bit of heat but NOT with flame/spark or a heat gun....different technique needed of course.

Assuming the unit is off the bike, just heat up some water in a kettle and pour it over the jammed up up bits...that should free it up I think. It will also make things more malleable and less prone to breaking. I had a similar issue with an F800 pump once (similar housing concept) and this worked well. Just be sure you aren't getting water into the pump if you still need it.

Whilst it's all sitting on the bench, rather than inside the tank, you might as well renew the little U-shaped tube at the same time as you renew the pump AND the fuel filter ( Mahle brand ).

Remember, the Greedy Berlin Pig only guarantees the rubber components on its vehicles for a mere five years. That's so they can see you coming for another wallet-opening session when you want some new ones.

BMW = Bring More Wallet.

I dread to think how much the dealerships will make out of those unfortunate riders who've been tempted to buy the latest models. With all that fantastically-complicated electronic wizardy. Just think of the cost of maintenance / parts renewal when it all starts to go tits-up.

With BMW shop labour rates at 200 snoojits / hour.......

Claudio and Alan , I purchased the fuel pump on amazon(had good reviews) it is a Quantum from www.high fuel.com I also purchased some fuel line equipment from beemerboneyard . I am not sure how folks are suppose to replace the in tank vent lines??? Hopefully I will have time to work on it next week and get it all sorted out.