IGNORED

First BMW

Eraygunz

Hi....

I have owned many motorcycles.

But, never a BMW.

I have just got my hands on a like new 2000 1150 RT.

Trying to figure out a couple of things?

First...there are to little flip up caps with some kind od ports on the left hand side of the bike? What are they for?

Second..there is a little light bulb inside the headlight housing? What does that do?

Also it seems difficult to put up onto the center stand.

I found the flip out handle.

But, it seems very difficult to get it onto the center stand?

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Eddie

I think you're talking about the electrical outlets. Those are for plugging in heated gear, etc.

Don't try to lift tit onto the stand. Makes sure both feet of th4 stand are are centered, then put all your weight on the stand while holding the handle and left handlebar.

The bike needs to be in neutral by the way, and the handlebars straight ahead.

Inch your foot in a bit so it's a bit more on the stand, not just the stand tang.

Pull straight up on the handle while stepping down on the stand.

First...there are to little flip up caps with some kind od ports on the left hand side of the bike? What are they for?

As Jim said, these are power sockets and you can actually also trickle charge the bike through one of these, as well as use them for 12 volt outputs.

Second..there is a little light bulb inside the headlight housing? What does that do?

this is called a 'side light' or a 'parking light' it really is obligatory in some countries to have this small light. It should be 'on' all the time the bike is switched on.

Also it seems difficult to put up onto the center stand. I found the flip out handle. But, it seems very difficult to get it onto the center stand? mIs there a way to do it?

Yes it should be relatively easy.:

Bike in neutral.

Stand to the lefthand side of the bike.

Lower the mainstand until it touches the floor.

With the right hand, take hold of that flip out handle.

Use your left hand to steady the bike and keep the bars straight.

Now, simultaneously, stand on the centrestand lever and pull up on the flip out handle.

The bike should roll smoothly backwards and up onto the mainstand.

Eddie, if you get a male BMW accessory plug, you can connect it to your Battery Tender and plug it right into that dashboard socket.for charging Really convenient. Dave

As others have said, those are power outlets. Since you don't recognize them, you might not know how to get the matching plugs. Go to Powerlet Products to buy the plugs in various forms. They are great for heated gear, and also for powering a GPS or a phone.

Also it seems difficult to put up onto the center stand.

I agree. On my R1200RT, the balance is much better, such that the bike is easier to place on the center stand.

What is this flip out handle you all speak of for the center stand? I have a new to me R1150R (Rockster) and the center stand not like that, it's almost tucked away. I had my son as a spotter the first time I put it on the center stand. (Of course I didn't have it in Neutral at first). I have seen the videos of folks standing on something and getting the bike up, but mine is not like that at all.

Congrats to the OP on the new bike, all I have ever owned is BMWs. It's all I wanted. Now on my second, first was an airhead, which was way lighter.

Eddie ---- since you are new to all things BMW, I would suggest that you fill out your profile to include your location. This will allow other members who might be nearby to reach out to you directly. Sounds like you could use someone to walk through the bike with you. Look for a copy of the bike Owners Manual.

The DIN power outlets and plugs are also used by John Deere in their equipment. The advantage of them (v. the typical auto cigarette outlet) is that the plug makes a very positive tight connection. The cigarette lighter plug/outlet is just held by spring tension and breaks contact easier in a vibration rich moto environment.

The little tang on the centerstand is only there to let your toe push the stand down to the pavement. It is not designed to bear weight and it will break off if you press down on it. Once down, you put your weight on the foot of the stand itself, holding the lift handle and the handlebar. As PAS points out, if your shocks are low the bike can be a heavy lift. It should rise up fairly easy. Does your rear shock preload adjuster work? This is a twist knob on the bikes right side located behind the black triangle iust ahead of the rear wheel.

I was wondering about that too DaveP. Max BMW fiche has production dates for the 1150RT beginning 02/2000. But the OP should confirm if 1100 or 1150.

What is this flip out handle you all speak of for the center stand? I have a new to me R1150R (Rockster) and the center stand not like that, it's almost tucked away. I had my son as a spotter the first time I put it on the center stand. (Of course I didn't have it in Neutral at first). I have seen the videos of folks standing on something and getting the bike up, but mine is not like that at all.

Congrats to the OP on the new bike, all I have ever owned is BMWs. It's all I wanted. Now on my second, first was an airhead, which was way lighter.

The RT has a flip-out handle. I don't think yours does.

Inch your foot in a bit so it's a bit more on the stand, not just the stand tang.

Now I thought the technique was to step and lift while pulling the bike backwards at the same time. :dontknow:

Pat

By the way, is it an 1150 or 1100? I thought the 1150s didn't come out till 2001... D

The OP quotes his bike is an 1150RT

Now I thought the technique was to step and lift while pulling the bike backwards at the same time. :dontknow:

Pat

Yes.

Almost a leaning move to shift weight/move bike.

It isn't a strength issue.

Rockster will go up w one hand, lighter bike.

By the way, is it an 1150 or 1100? I thought the 1150s didn't come out till 2001... D

The OP quotes his bike is an 1150RT

It is a late model (build date 07/2004) RT

thanks

Thank you all very much.

I saw something about them being power ports? But , I had never seen such a thing before....great idea.

Can the bike be jumpstarted from those ports if needed?

I have tried to find a down loadable owners manual.

Butcso far have nit found one.

Again ....thank you all very much.

Eddie

Congrats on the bike. I also just picked up my first BMW, a 2003 R1150RT. I like the bike very well and I'm starting to get used to it. I'm not real far away as I live near Lakeland FL.

Can the bike be jumpstarted from those ports if needed?

No. The leads are fused and of insufficient CSA for Jump starting. However, you can charge through one.

Access to the battery is easy...particularly if you have the adapter fitted (which BMW fitted as standard to the 2003 model year onward. I recommend adding this feature).

You need items 9,10,11 and 12.

7039.thumb.jpg.8cbfbbdefbe9e82db4a595b28c512dec.jpg

Edited by AndyS