IGNORED

Alaska via NWT

I'm going to Alaska next summer (2019). I'm a sedentary 65, no medical issues, and ride my GSA solo, pavement only, PR4 tires (although those can change, of course). I'm looking at the route from Regina to Edmonton, north to the Great Slave Lake, west to Fort Laird, then south to pick up the Alaska Highway just past Fort Nelson. This is all in service of my goal of adding SK and NWT to my "provinces visited" map. On my way back I'm looking at taking the Cassiar Highway, then over to Prince Rupert where I'll take the ferry to Vancouver Island, then another ferry from Victoria to the mainland.

I'd be doing this in July and August so weather shouldn't be an issue (unless Canada catches fire while I'm there). Anyone care to share their recent experience with these roads? Paved, gravel, dirt? Is this an exceptionally foolish plan?

No recent experience, but I've done all that (though some in a truck instead of on a bike) and you'll be covering some great territory.

Vancouver Island is great place to tourist - last time I rode from Hardy to Victoria was just after Christmas ‘99 - your dates should make for much more comfortable riding weather.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Well, first of all you won't be pavement only for long. Multiple long stretches of gravel (some sections lasting several miles) due to road work and famous roads like the all gravel “Top of the World” from Dawson City (after a ferry ride across the river) simply cannot be missed, breathtaking scenery. My GSA trip was with a buddy two years ago with both of us on street bias tires(Anakees for me) and we made it fine. Biggest challenge was sections that are wet with calcium chloride for dust control, slickest stuff known to man. I'm no help on your Canadian routes except you've got to make the run on Hwy 93 north out of Lake Louise. The Icefields Parkway is definitely the most scenic route on the continent but that time of year you'll be fighting tourists the whole way. Rather than go on and on I'd suggest getting on the advrider forum, lots of tips from Alaskan travels and regional sub forums as well for the provinces you're planning. You can also download GPS tracks that will help you, can probably find exactly what you'll need.

Just prepare for one of the greatest journeys of your riding career...usually one ride to Alaska leads to planning for future ones so be forewarned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the peak season up there is june, and you should plan to encounter snow. I did the trip to Dawson city for the D2D on june21st back in 2008. i hit snow before i even got going in British Columbia. dress accordingly. if the weather cooperates its beautiful up there. i also did the side trip to Inuvik. (my dad was on the construction of Inuvik in 1958 so it was important to see some of the buildings he worked on.)