IGNORED

RTW Throttle sensitivity

BeemerBerg

I have about 18K on my 2016RTW.

From the time I got it, the throttle seems to be especially 'sensitive' around 4,000 rpm.Trying to maintain a steady 35 mph in-town in second gear is especially jerky. All that HP, producing lots of drive line lash. I can shift to 3rd gear to reduce the surging, but don't want to lug the engine. Ditto with 4,000 rpm in 3rd gear. I upshift just go get away from this unpleasantness. Smooth in other RPM ranges. "Rain/Road/Dynamic" changes the effect, but the bike still wants to "go faster/go slower" once it gets near 4K. Yes, my throttle hand is steady.

Anyone else experience this?

At 35 mph I'm in 4th gear around town and that doesn't lug the engine a bit. If you want a more comfortable throttle though (asssuming all else is well) add the AF-XIED. You'll get better throttle response and be able to ride a gear higher. At 45 mph if I'm not accelerating I'm in 5th gear, and it's a great ride.

I'm not surprised. Second gear to maintain 35mph in town is too low a gear IMHO. I'd be in 3rd or 4th. You're also in the area where the emissions system is trying to lean out the engine which causes surging.

You're also in the area where the emissions system is trying to lean out the engine which causes surging.

I believe that's what's happening. I and many others have the problem. The solution seems to be either to have it tuned on a dyno or get a oxygen sensor (lambda) shifter. Here's a thread on the AF-XIED shifter. I installed the AF-XIED recently. It definitely smooths out the throttle response and I am able to pull smoothly in a lower gear. In my case, my fuel economy has suffered 10% or more depending on riding conditions. I have adjusted the units which have helped the fuel economy but reduces the benefits. I like to do long tours and range is important to me so I don't know if I'm going to remove them or not.

Personally, I'm quite sensitive to engine surging in modern FI motorcycle engines and have often fitted O2 eliminators to overcome the problem. However, although I can detect slight surging in my RT, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant messing with. I still think you'd be better off selecting a more appropriate gear for the speed and circumstances.

Personally, I'm quite sensitive to engine surging in modern FI motorcycle engines and have often fitted O2 eliminators to overcome the problem. However, although I can detect slight surging in my RT, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant messing with. I still think you'd be better off selecting a more appropriate gear for the speed and circumstances.

My oilhead's wild surging demanded Techlusion remediation. My hexhead and camhead surged very little but only in predictable circumstances. My wethead surges not one whit that I can detect. I run in Road mode at all times. I can tool around side streets at 25mph in 2nd with amazingly precise throttle response to micro-input with my wrist with no surge. I wouldn't cruise 35 in 2nd, but not because of surge. Onto 30-35mph streets around town, 3rd is the sweet spot. Totally controllable, quiet, creamy and smooth with only the steepest hills needing a kick down. Riding hot in the Blue Ridge up and down hills in the 5-6k rpm range the motor doesn't surge for me. Nothing can be done about driveline lash except throttle technique.

My 2c.

• Like 1
You're also in the area where the emissions system is trying to lean out the engine which causes surging.

I believe that's what's happening. I and many others have the problem. The solution seems to be either to have it tuned on a dyno or get a oxygen sensor (lambda) shifter. Here's a thread on the AF-XIED shifter. I installed the AF-XIED recently. It definitely smooths out the throttle response and I am able to pull smoothly in a lower gear. In my case, my fuel economy has suffered 10% or more depending on riding conditions. I have adjusted the units which have helped the fuel economy but reduces the benefits. I like to do long tours and range is important to me so I don't know if I'm going to remove them or not.

Which year do you have, and do you have the relay adapter modules? I ask because setting 7 only adds 5% to fueling and half of that becomes added power. So a loss of 1-2 mpg is possible but 10% indicates you have another issue.

I ride my 2016 in Dynamic pretty much all the time. The only surging I've encountered is going down a hill where I need only a hint of throttle to keep the bike at the speed I want. At 4000 the throttle is not twitchy in my experience.

It's a 2016 RTW. I'm not sure what the relay adapters are. I just installed the 2 units using included instructions. I originally set the units at 7, then dropped to 5. Setting 7 improved the surging and throttle response nicely. 5 was only a minor improvement over stock but I still have about 5% fuel economy loss (about 2 mpg). I have removed them for the time being and my mileage went back to 44-47 mpg.