IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 590 question

Lone_RT_rider

I have a route that I received from another board member. When I try to import that route into the 590 after loading it (and recalculating it with the correct maps on both the 590 and the computer), it wants to split the route up because there are more than 29 VIA points. I have no idea why it wants to do that? Does anyone know what I can do to keep it a single route?

Sorry....I'm still relatively new to the 590 and Basecamp. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Shawn

Bring the route into Basecamp, then display all of the via points. Change the via points so that they are NOT announced. This will change them to shaping points instead of via points. Send the updated route out of Basecamp into the Garmin.

Bring the route into Basecamp, then display all of the via points. Change the via points so that they are NOT announced. This will change them to shaping points instead of via points. Send the updated route out of Basecamp into the Garmin.

Thanks..... Some other tips for others that might be following this thread.

1. To find the Via Points double click on the route to open a separate window that will show the full list of via points.

2. Then highlight the via points you want to change to shaping points.

3. When highlighting the via points, DO NOT select the first and the last via point. If you do, you will never see the correct menu selection choice of "Don't alert on arrival (Shaping point)".

4. Right click to bring up a menu that allows you to select the following command. "Don't alert on arrival (Shaping point)"

5. Select "Don't alert on arrival (Shaping point)"

6. All the via points that you have selected will not become grey text. This indicates that they are now shaping points.

7. As always because I never trust Garmin products, recalculate the route.

I just spent 1.5 hours verifying those points because I have little to no experience with Basecamp. I just kept trying different combinations of things until I eventually got it figured out. Any google search I did also did not include these key details.

Ain't technology grand.....

An article that deals with this issue: https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/2015/07/05/fixing-issue-that-garmin-zumo-590-is-splitting-up-routes-with-more-than-30-waypoints/

I usually would not want to turn ALL the intermediate via points into non-alerting shaping points. I like to keep at least a few so that If I go off route, I have more points to select from when I decide to go back on the original route rather than being rerouted directly to the end point.

An article that deals with this issue: https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/2015/07/05/fixing-issue-that-garmin-zumo-590-is-splitting-up-routes-with-more-than-30-waypoints/

I usually would not want to turn ALL the intermediate via points into non-alerting shaping points. I like to keep at least a few so that If I go off route, I have more points to select from when I decide to go back on the original route rather than being rerouted directly to the end point.

Larry, you can always convert silent Shaping Points into announced ViaPoints on the gps. Just open the edit menu for the route, pick which points you want to see/have announced and then restart the route, and pick the via point closest to you to start the route.

This limitation on the number of via points is common to all "newer" Garmin GPSs, as I understand it. It applied to my Nav V, and applies to my Nav VI now as well. That said, given the number of shaping points between via points that you can include in a route, it's very easy to shape a route so it goes where you want it to. You can have over 3,500 points in a route (29 via points, with up to 125 shaping points allowed between via points). Another thing you can do, if your GPS handles tracks, is to convert your route to a track in Basecamp, then download both the route, and the track, to your GPS. You can view both the route, and the track, on the GPS screen (picking from a variety of possible track colours). This way, you can easily see if you have deviated from your originally planned route (you may want to turn off auto-recalculation in this instance).

Edited by marcopolo