IGNORED

HES question

phillip914

Back in 2008 I had to replace the HES on my 2000RT, I went with a rebuilt unit with Silicon wiring . Saturday I went to start my bike for a short ride, it turned over but wont start.It seems to have shorted out again after a light no pressure wash the last time after I rode. In fact the bike was idling during the wash. I have driven thru low water crossings and in some pretty good rain storms over the years with no problem but a simple wash seems to have been the killer. I can see no fraying of the wiring. But at the bottom of the sensor there is a black silicon looking material.

What can be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks

Phil

Back in 2008 I had to replace the HES on my 2000RT, I went with a rebuilt unit with Silicon wiring . Saturday I went to start my bike for a short ride, it turned over but wont start.It seems to have shorted out again after a light no pressure wash the last time after I rode. In fact the bike was idling during the wash. I have driven thru low water crossings and in some pretty good rain storms over the years with no problem but a simple wash seems to have been the killer. I can see no fraying of the wiring. But at the bottom of the sensor there is a black silicon looking material.

What can be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks

Phil

Afternoon Phil

Are you SURE that your current problem is the HES? A PROPERLY rebuilt HES shouldn't have any future issues.

So, first, verify it is the HES, if it is then your HES has a problem & should be properly re-wired/re-built.

Exactly what "silicon" wiring was used in your rebuilt unit? If it wasn't a high temperature type it was the wrong stuff.

The cable suggested HERE is what I and many other have used. It is pretty much the gold standard for HES replacement wiring.

Edited by eddd

Silicone wires are one thing, another one is, as always, where and how you make the connections, from the sensors to the harness...

Like when connecting plumbing, the soft spot is usually where the connections are. That is why I make mine upstream from the metal plate, where there is more air and the connection does not have the be squeezed between the plate and the engine casing.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

These complete replacements are cheaper than the price charged by the Greedy Berlin Pig. But as it says in German lower down the page, you have to make sure the cable connector is the right one for your bike. Flat or rectangular, and you have to lift off the tank to find that out. And they have the softer silicone cable-sleeve that seems to protect the wiring inside and resist the motor heat better than the old version supplied OEM on the bike. The wires inside that old stiff sleeve failed for fun.

'Hallgeber' means Hall Effect Sensor.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/HALLGEBER-BMW-R1100-R1150-R850-HALL-PICKUP-Hall-Sensor-m-Einbauwerkzeug/302732028976?hash=item467c3c2c30:g:OskAAOSwmgJY5Lrm:rk:6:pf:0