IGNORED

R1100rt won't start unless netural light is on

greenrider

Hi

Today the bike wouldn't start the way it normally does.

Before I always put up the kick stand pulled in the clutch and it would start.

Today after we had stopped for an hour or so, got on the bike, put up the kickstand, turned on the key heard the fuel pump just like always but it wouldn't turn over. I was confused for a while till I finally put it into neutral. Took a bit to get the green light to come on. Gear Indicator would show 0 but the green neutral light wouldn't come on till it jiggled the gears a bit.

Concerned because if I would stall it at an intersection, that could be dangerous.

Any ideas?

And the bike shuts off when the kickstand is put down. So the switch works.

Hi

Today the bike wouldn't start the way it normally does.

Before I always put up the kick stand pulled in the clutch and it would start.

Today after we had stopped for an hour or so, got on the bike, put up the kickstand, turned on the key heard the fuel pump just like always but it wouldn't turn over. I was confused for a while till I finally put it into neutral. Took a bit to get the green light to come on. Gear Indicator would show 0 but the green neutral light wouldn't come on till it jiggled the gears a bit.

Concerned because if I would stall it at an intersection, that could be dangerous.

Any ideas?

And the bike shuts off when the kickstand is put down. So the switch works.

Afternoon greenrider

Sure sounds like your clutch switch is not working properly.

You might be able to remove the switch then free the plunger up, or just replace the switch.

You c-o-u-l-d cut the clutch switch wire pig tail then hook the bike side wires together but that could be a bit dangerous as that would allow the bike to start when in gear with the clutch engaged.

You c-o-u-l-d cut the clutch switch wire pig tail then hook the bike side wires together but that could be a bit dangerous as that would allow the bike to start when in gear with the clutch engaged.

I've eventually had to do that to every oilhead I've ever owned.

I'm assuming the switch is hard to get at?

And where is the wire? Does the Tupper ware have to come off?

Thanks guys for the quick response

I'm assuming the switch is hard to get at?

And where is the wire? Does the Tupper ware have to come off?

Thanks guys for the quick response

Evening greenrider

The switch isn't difficult to get to but they can be somewhat difficult to remove without a special socket.

Due to the wire coming out of the end of the switch a regular deep socket will not work.

Years ago I made up a special socket but before that I got most of them out using a needle nose pliers (if the switch is not too tight that will probably work).

As far as the connector goes, yes it is buried way up under the front on tank.

You might try first spraying some WD-40 into the switch plunger from the clutch lever side. Then working the clutch lever (sometimes that is enough to free up the switch plunger).

Otherwise you will either have to remove the switch (leave the wire harness plugged into the bike) then clean & lube the plunger, then re-install, or install a new or used switch.

In the past I have bought a used switch from E-Bay then just cut the old switch wire pig tail & cut the new switch pig tail then made a splice in a location that didn't require plastic removal.

8cAlN9s.jpg

Thanks so much DR!!

You have saved me a lot of time!

I got the switch out with needle nose but I think the spring is broken. The plunger is loose but the spring only pushes the plunger out halfway. And I can easily pull it in and out. I pull it out and the bike starts.

So for now I cut the wire and joined them. Good enough for now till the snow flies.

Thanks again!