IGNORED

Hand / Wind Guards - 2016 RT

Oldironken

I am looking into adding some wind guards for my hands to my RT.

On my 04 i had a set of universal "hand socks" that worked OK, but with the all of the extra switches on the 16 i want to be able to see the controls.

Bark Busters Storm guards and Acerbis have some that mount from the bar ends.

Has anyone done this? What worked? What didn't? Any issues with mirror visibility?

On my 04 i had a set of universal "hand socks" that worked OK, but with the all of the extra switches on the 16 i want to be able to see the controls.

Has anyone done this? What worked? What didn't? Any issues with mirror visibility?

Evening Oldironken

I haven't done any on the wetheads yet but turn your bars all the way to the steering lock in both directions then measure the clearance to the windshield with the windshield all the way up & all the way down.

Unless your bike has bar-backs you might find very tight clearances in the windshield to bar area.

If very tight clearances then can modify most handguard hardware but that then leaves not much room for your hands & fingers to use the levers with gloves on.

I tried adding windguards (GS guards) to my oilhead RT, ended up blocking my mirrors.

Might want to check what you can add without getting in the way of the mirrors.

Edited by BrianM

I have some nice ones but don't like too much bulk and am hoping to cut down on the wind.

I saw a review on Aero wings from Aero shield that looked pretty interesting. The reviewer said they made a big difference in the Canadian winter.

Keep me posted, because I like the idea of doing something like this too!

Hello Oldironken,

I just got back from a ride and used a newly purchased Warm n Safe heated liner which can also support heated gloves. If you get the dual remote control, you can have separate settings for the gloves and the liner. They make heated glove liners as well. I can only speak for the liner, however, which worked great.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-gloves/

Perhaps you could look into 3D printing larger pieces to replace the clear pieces on the upper fairing to deflect more of the airstream from your hands. This could allow the mounting points to be duplicated, as well as trying different shapes and designs. I have no idea of cost!!

Great idea Paul... Silly me i work for a CAM company and should have thought of that myself.

I just ordered the Quiet Werks windshield and have some heated gear on my list as well for a Fall trip.

Edited by Oldironken

I saw a review on Aero wings from Aero shield that looked pretty interesting. The reviewer said they made a big difference in the Canadian winter.

Yes, I saw something on those items and I'd like to get some feedback from other users too.

Thanks Thor. It really is hand guards that I am looking for. I have seen some that look very integrated. I revert to heated gloves and big hand muffs as a very last resort. If you can keep airflow off your digits and have the heated grips on, you have an elegant and quick solution.

Thor - Thanks for the link. i had a knock-off version of those on my '04 RT and they worked to keep the wind off of my hands, when coupled with heated grips and good gloves my hands were always comfortable even with temps in the 30's. On multiple occasions i hit the wrong switch on the handle bars, like honking the horn when i meant to hit a turn signal.

Now with a lot more controls on the '16 i need to glance down from time to time to make sure i have the right button first. ( i am not a very good touch typist either, i always cheat and look )

Hi Oldironken,

Another thought- try taping some deflector extensions to the clear fairing panels to see if that will work for you. You could try different shapes, heights, etc. If they do work, then you look into getting some custom deflectors made by 3D additive manufacturing. If your company has the ability to scan the stock clear deflectors, you are almost there!

I have the Quiet Werks windshield and it lives up to its name. All the way down and I get some airflow to my shoulders. Then I just raise it up and all of a sudden, it's quiet! (Thanks realshelby!). And I am still looking over the windshield, which I much prefer.

When i looked closer the idea of using hand guards i decided it won't fly for me as they would come too close to the dash and i am pretty sure they would obstruct the mirrors.

I have been thinking about some extensions for the side wings and maybe something below the mirrors.

First i need to ride without gloves to see where the air is coming from and then do some crude experiments to block the wind.

I do have access to some scanning equipment down in our test shop and have some contacts that would do some 3D additive as well.

You might be surprised at how little air actually hits your hands on this version of the RT. I done some experimenting with deflectors when working on windshields. One area that would make an impact is the clear factory deflectors on top of the cowl outboard of the screen and close to the mirrors. That sort of "V" shape could be raised some to deflect more air off the hand area. You could also try some deflectors mounted on top of the mirror housing. Sometimes when you block air coming from directly ahead of the area you are wanting to make better.....you create a low pressure area that will draw air in from the sides or bottom. So, you just have to experiment.

• 4 months later...

Maybe the Aeroflow Aerowings might also keep the blast off your hands so a regular set of gloves and the heated grips will work

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200RTW/R1200RTW Accessories.htm

I had used cuffs on my '71 slash 5 back in the day, and while they offered great weather protection they would tend to interfere with may hands and the controls at highway speed.  Maybe the current offerings include a better framework to keep them from collapsing on your hands.