IGNORED

2104 RTW Won't start in gear

hefy_jefy

The bike used to start if it was in gear as long as the clutch was disengaged, now it doesn't, but starts OK in neutral.

I have owned the bike from new and I needed to go back to the manual to confirm that I wasn't imagining things. Both clutch switches are working (checked with GS 911)

Any ideas?

Geoff

Check the side stand switch.

If the bike thinks the side stand is down, it will not start in gear.

You should be able to check it with your GS911WiFi.

My clutch sensor switch failed on my '15 RT last year, causing the problem you describe. Replaced under warranty, solved the problem.

My clutch sensor switch failed on my '15 RT last year, causing the problem you describe. Replaced under warranty, solved the problem.

There was another fellow in the other forum that had the same complaint, and the problem had turned out to be the clutch micro-switch, just like yours. The sidestand switch is also a candidate to be checked. If it had gone out of adjustment or failed, you would get the same symptom.

Edited by PadG
The bike used to start if it was in gear as long as the clutch was disengaged, now it doesn't, but starts OK in neutral.

I have owned the bike from new and I needed to go back to the manual to confirm that I wasn't imagining things. Both clutch switches are working (checked with GS 911)

Any ideas?

Geoff

Afternoon hefy_jefy

It does sound like your clutch switch (not the cruise control clutch switch). Sometimes they will test OK on the GS-911 if the problem is intermittent.

Next time it won't start try moving the clutch lever while pushing starter button.

As mentioned, the side stand switch could also cause a no crank in gear but that usually also causes a no-run condition when put into gear.

Yes indeed - it looks like its intermittent. I was sure that it checked out OK about two weeks ago when I did the last service, I took the switch off last night and tested it and it was not working. So I put it back and made ready for a warranty claim with the dealer (I have the extended warranty). But of course after putting everything back together its working fine so I will have to wait until it fails again. My slight worry is not that this switch could cause a problem - its just inconvenient, but if the OTHER microswitch (it cancels the cruise control) that's part of the same assembly and must have had exactly the same number of operations were to fail - that could be a problem because disengaging the clutch would not cancel the cruise control...

I may just buy a switch ($75!!!) and fit it myself.

Geoff

You could unhook the switch from the bike and shoot a little extra current through it to make it permanently bad.

Edited by kioolt
  • 3 years later...

I am having the same symptom (Bike won't start in gear with the side stand down) so I ordered the replacement microswitches - one part, 2 switches for bikes with cruise control.

I swapped out the part and the issue is still the same.  I even tested it with the switches plugged in but not installed in the clutch lever assembly to ensure that there was no an alignment issue or something not allowing them to operate properly when installed.  

What's my next thing to check?

13 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

I am having the same symptom (Bike won't start in gear with the side stand down) so I ordered the replacement microswitches - one part, 2 switches for bikes with cruise control.

I swapped out the part and the issue is still the same.  I even tested it with the switches plugged in but not installed in the clutch lever assembly to ensure that there was no an alignment issue or something not allowing them to operate properly when installed.  

What's my next thing to check?

The bike will NEVER start in gear with the side stand down.  That is a safety feature on nearly all modern bikes.  It will also kill the engine if you start in neutral with the side stand down, pull in the clutch, and put it in gear.

If it starts in gear with the stand up (and clutch pulled in), then you have no problem.

19 minutes ago, Geekmaster said:

The bike will NEVER start in gear with the side stand down.  That is a safety feature on nearly all modern bikes.  It will also kill the engine if you start in neutral with the side stand down, pull in the clutch, and put it in gear.

If it starts in gear with the stand up (and clutch pulled in), then you have no problem.

Well I feel pretty damned stupid.  I could have sworn that that did before.  That being said, its right there in black and white in the manual.

Rangers @ Reds 6-14-19

• Smile 1