IGNORED

HES tester question

motofiala

Friends...I was helped out immensely on another thread when it was suggested a bad HES caused my bike to crank but not turnover.

I replaced the HES with a Bosch unit from Euromotoelectrics. The bike started but was running rough when I test rode it so I assumed I was not careful enough about marking the position of the old HES to ensure the timing would not be off.

I purchased one of their Hall Testers. I thought I understood the description to mean that I can use the tester to make sure the HES is properly set and that the bike is in proper timing.

The reason I am questioning my understanding is that when I connect the tester to the HES, no matter what position the HES is in [it can be slightly adjusted side to side], the green light goes on and stays on. I assumed the red light would indicate the device is on, but the HES is bad or the timing is not correct. I assumed moving the HES side to side until the green light goes on means the timing is correct.

I have a message in to them but thought I would check with you guys as well.

Please help me understand if I am using the Hall Tester properly.

Thanks again for your help as always.

Friends...I was helped out immensely on another thread when it was suggested a bad HES caused my bike to crank but not turnover.

I replaced the HES with a Bosch unit from Euromotoelectrics. The bike started but was running rough when I test rode it so I assumed I was not careful enough about marking the position of the old HES to ensure the timing would not be off.

I purchased one of their Hall Testers. I thought I understood the description to mean that I can use the tester to make sure the HES is properly set and that the bike is in proper timing.

The reason I am questioning my understanding is that when I connect the tester to the HES, no matter what position the HES is in [it can be slightly adjusted side to side], the green light goes on and stays on. I assumed the red light would indicate the device is on, but the HES is bad or the timing is not correct. I assumed moving the HES side to side until the green light goes on means the timing is correct.

I have a message in to them but thought I would check with you guys as well.

Please help me understand if I am using the Hall Tester properly.

Thanks again for your help as always.

Evening motofiala

What bike (year/model) are you working on? The 1100 is slightly differently than the 1150.

I'm not familiar with that HES tester so without knowing how it triggers I really can't comment on what you are dealing with.

If an 1150 then I usually just use a timing light & check/set HES at max advance as that is the important timing to worry about.

Sorry....2002 R1150R.

Evening motofiala

Is the little locating tit still intact on the timing rotor cup & lined up properly? Is the rotor cup properly glued to the rear of pulley?

motofiala - the 1150 HES can be tested by turning the motor. Turn on the ignition, then rotate the motor. When you hear the fuel pump trigger, stop and check the timing window. The OT mark should be centered in the window when the pump cycles. Also, make sure you check the cup inside the pulley as was just mentioned.

motofiala - the 1150 HES can be tested by turning the motor. Turn on the ignition, then rotate the motor. When you hear the fuel pump trigger, stop and check the timing window. The OT mark should be centered in the window when the pump cycles. Also, make sure you check the cup inside the pulley as was just mentioned.

Morning _______

For future readers just keep in mind there is a difference in how the 1100 (Ma 2.2) & the 1150 (Ma 2.4) trigger the fuel pump. The 1150 (Ma 2.4) triggers the fuel pump as the timing cup window closes & the 1100 (Ma 2.2) triggers the fuel pump as the timing cup window opens. Therefore engine rotation direction for testing is different.

Friends..thanks again for jumping in. As suspected, operator error. Vendor helped me over the phone. I had everything hooked up right, just wasn't getting exactly what I was supposed to do. Bike is dialed in and seems to be running as before.

Thanks again for the help and I hope to return the favor.