IGNORED

GPS Release Button

Cohiba54

2015 R1200RT

The GPS release button is stuck in the pushed in position. 3 in 1 around the button housing and slide was no help. I have to manually pull the slide to the right to reset the clamp mechanism. Anyone having the same problem? What's the fix?

I have the same problem. I did clean and lube but that doesn't last all that long, I live with it. After removal I swipe it back so it's ready to receive the cover or GPS, no big deal.

Jay

In an effort to explore what and how the mechanism works to see what is hanging up. I tried to remove the bracket, all 4 torx screws turn (with some resistance) but do not back out. I'm thinking there are nuts on the backside, which would surprise me instead of using metal threaded selves embedded in the plastic.

So who has taken GPS bracket apart and taken a look see? Post your findings and some pic's please.

2015 R1200RT

The GPS release button is stuck in the pushed in position. 3 in 1 around the button housing and slide was no help. I have to manually pull the slide to the right to reset the clamp mechanism. Anyone having the same problem? What's the fix?

I have the same problem and just bear with it. When I takes the Nav V out, I make sure to push the release button back out from the inside. Lubing doesn't do any good.

From the various threads that I had read on the subject in the past, this is determined to be a defect by BMW, and people had been able to get the issue fixed with new components at no costs. You might want to talk to your dealer about that. I was just too lazy to do so, especially since I consider the issue to be minor inconvenience.

I had the same problem on mine when it was new...dealer lubed it...didn't work, they said panel is warped a little can we trip it up...no. They called BMW, BMW sent them a new cradle and a new panel and now works as it should.

Ok yesterday evening I started to disassembly so I could take a look at the cradle and it's mechanism. Got the windshield off and just for the fun of it I pushed the button and the damn thing worked flawlessly. The best I can figure is the 3 in 1 oil finally made it to whatever has hanging up. Put the shield back on and I'm done! Let's see how long that lasts.

Edited by Cohiba54

slide the lock back worked for a while...but when my Nav 5 fell out at highway speed because it wasn't fully locked in....I made them fix it right. Mine worked flawlessly too when in my hand...put it all back together and it would hang on the panel. Make them fix it.

Edited by Skywagon

Skywagon

I was about to remove the dash then decided to give the release button one last try. Pushed it in and let go, it released freely, put the windshield back on. Tested with the cover and then with the GPS. Smooth as silk, well for now at least. I had my GPS drop off too, that's what got me started on this to begin with. I'll just make sure from now on that the red indicators on the latching claws are not visible assuring the GPS is in fact secured.

Must of had some grit in just the right spot, thinking the 3 in 1 oil and riding to work freed things up.