IGNORED

New to forum and RT

Phlazm

Not sure if introductions are usual, but what the heck. I've been riding off and on since college and after 5 years with an 2001 R1100RL I've decided to add a 2011 R1200RT with 5,900 miles I picked up locally. Incredible how far those boxer engines have progressed in 10 years. This one fell into my lap and the price was terrific plus the guy had excellent dealer maintenance records with all recalls done. Heck, the PO even added a Navigator V which he barely used.

I'm 6'2" and the stock windshield is too noisy for me so I've ordered a Aeroflow tall, Knight Design lowered front pegs, and a front fender extender so far. Time will tell if I need an extended shifter from Suburban Machinery. Do I need to get reinforced upper windshield arms? The only maintenance I think I need is to replace the alternator belt since I'm pretty sure it is original.

Anyhow, any tips, tricks, or farkle recommendations are greatly appreciated. I'm mostly going to use it for commuting, the occasional weekend rides, and quick work trips from Connecticut to DC and back. Have three little ones at home who also want time with dad so I don't ride as much as I'd like.

Cheers.

Hello and welcome! Introductions are always welcome and helpful! As you probably know, your boxer is generally classified as a 'camhead'. YES, you should get the upper metal windshield arms!

Sounds like you're on you way and have done some basic research. We all have favorite farkles and mods and many might agree on 2 or 3 'must' haves. But really, I would invite you to spend a little time just riding your RT and getting comfortable with all of the changes the 2011 has to get a better feel for what you're searching for. There's no need to change something for change sake, put some miles on her and see what needs changing.

However, if the excitement of the new bike and all has you ready to pull the trigger on things, Here are some things you could consider: Additional aux tail/brake lights; aux lights in front, many go with an aftermarket seat, additional mirrors that mount on the handle bars - from K bikes, valve cover guards/engine guards, etc etc.

Others will chime in with more ideas - it's endless what one can do - that's why it may be best to ride and just see what's an issue and what isn't.

BTW - What options came with your bike?

Welcome to the Adventure!

Edited by Indy Dave

Welcome! Yes, there is a LOT of change in these bikes. I traded an '04 RT for my '14 RT and while I miss the looks of the Oilhead that is all I really miss.

Yes, get the aftermarket brackets. Especially running the tall screens it is good insurance.

Welcome, sounds like the bike was well cared for at a price you were comfortable with. What could be better... :dontknow: Oh, I know, spending some time up in the NW part of your state, there's some great riding up there! :thumbsup:

Pat

I like it. It has the ESA, radio, and GPS but I think everything else is what came with the bike. As for upgrades, I'm only doing what I already know I want, which is more leg room and less wind noise (not impressed with stock windshield). Maybe after a road trip I'll consider a seat, but I've got time on my side. I really want the 49L BMW top case but not until I find a decent used one. I may pony up for a BMW tank bag to take advantage of the rack already on the tank.

Separately, how long until the camhead comes into it's own? My on R1100R really loosened up after about 25k.

Edited by Phlazm
I already know I want, which is more leg room and less wind noise (not impressed with stock windshield)

Just to make sure you know, since you're new to the bike, you do know the windshield position is adjustable with a button on the left handgrip, right? And you've tried different positions?

But lots of people find the stock windshields don't work for them.

I like it. It has the ESA, radio, and GPS but I think everything else is what came with the bike. As for upgrades, I'm only doing what I already know I want, which is more leg room and less wind noise (not impressed with stock windshield). Maybe after a road trip I'll consider a seat, but I've got time on my side. I really want the 49L BMW top case but not until I find a decent used one. I may pony up for a BMW tank bag to take advantage of the rack already on the tank.

Separately, how long until the camhead comes into it's own? My on R1100R really loosened up after about 25k.

I bought a V-Stream Z2402 from a member of this forum. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I also put a Shad 50L topcase on my RT - I've been very happy with it. The optional rack is OK, but too small to be much use.

I personally can't see putting a ton of money into Russell seats on my older bike, so I bought a couple of Airhawks. I think it makes a world of difference, but the wife says hers doesn't do anything for her.

The previous owner of my bike put front crash bars on with highway pegs. I find the highway peg riding position less comfortable than straight up, but it is nice to be able to put my feet up there for a bit on long rides. Keeps the leg cramps at bay, and moves the pressure points on the butt.

Edited by poodad
I already know I want, which is more leg room and less wind noise (not impressed with stock windshield)

Just to make sure you know, since you're new to the bike, you do know the windshield position is adjustable with a button on the left handgrip, right? And you've tried different positions?

But lots of people find the stock windshields don't work for them.

Thanks for the backup, but yes I did know about that.

I bought a V-Stream Z2402 from a member of this forum. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I also put a Shad 50L topcase on my RT - I've been very happy with it. The optional rack is OK, but too small to be much use.

I personally can't see putting a ton of money into Russell seats on my older bike, so I bought a couple of Airhawks. I think it makes a world of difference, but the wife says hers doesn't do anything for her.

The previous owner of my bike put front crash bars on with highway pegs. I find the highway peg riding position less comfortable than straight up, but it is nice to be able to put my feet up there for a bit on long rides. Keeps the leg cramps at bay, and moves the pressure points on the butt.

If I would've seen this before I ordered the Aeroflow screen I might've tried the V-steam, but that's life. I'll consider a Shad though. I have a Shad 46 on my R and it's just so handy. I need to see the BMW top case in person though and maybe I'll buy a used one. I don't like two different keys and I'm probably willing to pay a couple hundred more for the convenience since I plan on riding this until it dies. Now to find a decent used one...

Glad to hear about Airhawks. That sounds much better than a new seat.

That's why you really want to avoid the temptation to start buying things until you've put a couple thousand miles on a new to you bike.

If I'm not mistaken, V-Stream even has a satisfaction warranty where you can try the screen and if you're not happy, you can send it back for a diff size or refund.

On my old 1100RT, I bought a couple shields then the V-Stream came out and I gave away my other two.

They don't require you to buy the alu screen arms either.

No idea if this is necessary, but since the V Stream has a much larger surface area and longer moment arm, I make it a point to NOT adjust the shield upward at anything over 30MPH. I figure the added stress might be too much for the fragile looking windshield mechanism on the RT.

Edited by poodad

Welcome, to these forums.

+ 1 on Airhawk, or a super deal on a used seat as this seems to a universal weak spot for RT's regardless of vintage.

Aftermarket horn is a nice add as well. The meep meep crush me now sound of OEM horn are almost universally terrible on the RT as well. I think they put an adequate horn on the 1150, but my '99 and '15 RTs were swapped out for something more bawlzy. in year 1 of ownership

Horn choices are numerous so some search hear will uncover the options.

Opinions on Fuzeblock vs Ez-can? I have a fuzeblock on my R1100R and it's great, but this is my first canbus bike. Not planning on huge add ons as this one seems pretty set up, but you never know. Also, opinions on GS911 WiFi vs USB? I appreciate all the tips.

Opinions aside, what is the goal? Simple power distribution or something more integrated?

Fuzeblock is a clean way to have simple fused circuits. I think that unless you are drawing a lot of current through it the CANbus won't flag a weak battery as it doesn't know its there. I have the EZ-Can and it works as advertised with nice integrated control capabilities into your bikes whizzy wheel as welll as auxiliary light circuits that will flash on horn use and braking (won't override OEM brake light circuits). You will need a notebook computer and the downloaded application to control the function on the EZ-Can

I'm curious as well about the GS911 VS others as my bike now being out of warranty will be part of my tool kit

Edited by Paul De

I love my Airhawk. Every summer, I tour from So Cal to Montana and beyond, and the Airhawk saves my arse without spending another grand on a custom seat.

• 1 month later...

Loving the bike even if I won't be riding it tomorrow (forecast is 24 degrees). Aeroflow windscreen is a lifesaver. Absolutely great bike.

If the weather gets decent I'll use it for a work trip to DC next week to get some distance time in her and see what other tweaks I need. Airhawk seat seems like the best option without spending even more.

Still thinking about LED lights. Debating Skene P3 and maybe Photon Blasters to stay visible. Haven't decided how to go about adding them to the bike. The Ezcan would be nice to control them and add a horn later but I wanted to keep the P3 flickering effect. Visibility is my biggest concern hence my full body hi viz suit. You only need a single close call to realize yellow is suddenly very sexy.

I did buy a used 49L BMW case and I'm glad I spent the extra. Nice to have quality kit that matches. Even was able to re-key it to match my key. Really want the oem tank bag but need to stagger my buys.

Anyone know how much I can pull off the battery before canbus thinks the battery is having issues?

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome. I had a '06 RT that I loved so am sure you will be delighted with your 2011 and with only 5900 miles heck it is a new bike! Sounds like you have a lot of the usually farkles already. I also added a Sargent seat and loved it and had a Vstream shield that I was very happy with. You may want to consider some LED signal bulbs as these are awesome and are plug and play bulbs. http://dynamicmotorrad.com

This forum is an excellent resource with tons of free knowledge!

RTin NC, thanks for the welcome. I've been considering the LED turnsignals from Dynamicmotorrad and also the ones from https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-Canbus-LED-Blinker-Bulb-4-Pack_p_149.html. They look different but the Cyclops ones are only $80 but no lifetime warranty. I'll probably go the dynamic route because of all the good things I've seen people say. That being said, I have an older H4 Cyclops headlight LED in my old R1100R that as been awesome for years. I'll eventually get the LED headlight for the RT, but it is rear visibility I'm worried about (I've already put the reflective kit on my saddlebags).

Does the Sargent heated seat let you use the stock heated seat controller? I like having that button.

Son of St Michael

From a noob to a noob, welcome!

The two upgrades I seem to always make is a better seat and lighting. My last two bikes have had the Russel Day Long (RDL) and Clearwater Darla's. I don't think I will ever ride a bike without an RDL. If your gonna do some long rides take care of your arse first! A happy butt makes for a fun ride. A monkey butt...well. Nuff said with that.

Welcome!

SOSM