IGNORED

F750GS and F850GS pricing

Bill_Walker

A buddy of mine went by the local BMW dealer to check out the new F750GS and F850GS. Granted, the examples on hand were fully loaded with options, but they were $15K and $17K, respectively. The dealer opined that he didn't know what BMW was thinking, and didn't think he was going to be able to sell many at those prices, when you could buy a nice, recent R1200GS for the same or less and other middleweight ADVs were far less.

Depends on how good the bikes are. From what I know the previous BMW models in this class were not exceptional. Maybe not even class leaders. Don't overlook the buyers that don't want the power of a liter+ bike, or the weight.

Suzuki DL 650 V Stroms suffer from the opposite to a degree. They are affordable, but they are built cheaply. They have what is probably the best small cc engine in the market. But have damper rod front suspension, very weak brakes, etc.

The Cross Spoke wheels are a big deal. :thumbsup: A five minute Plug & go or a two hour knuckle buster on some back country logging road. :P $17k plus (I'm sure) is a lot though. :money:

Pat

Both Suzuki and I think Triumph have spoke wheels available, which are tubless. Same DID rims as the Super Tenere Yamaha. I don't really like these, as they have a channel in the middle that carries a LOT of mud.....The BMW style spoke wheel is far better. But not thousands better. Still, the Triumph is price in the $15's so maybe the BMW price isn't as far out as it seems.

I have no experience with that style rim (Super 10 or Tiger) but can imagine that plugging one side of the rim with mud would make for a rough ride home. It'd probably never happen but plopping a wheel through a muddy creek and picking up some crap could/would throw your wheel out of balance? :dontknow:

Pat

Might be another middleweight contender on the way (more nice countryside anyway).

WOW .. that looks interesting for sure. Hope they bring it stateside.