IGNORED

Any Honda Element Fans?

JohnnyJ

What made the original Element fun was its utilitarian approach to design and function . Seems like the new one is trying to be more "upscale" and city cruising oriented. Lots of competition in that market ...

What made the original Element fun was its utilitarian approach to design and function . Seems like the new one is trying to be more "upscale" and city cruising oriented. Lots of competition in that market ...

Yeah... I agree

I am in the process of trying to find a used one with low miles in excellent condition. They are quickly becoming a cult classic.

Johnny J

I know Honda makes good, reliable vehicles. But they are sooooooo boooooring....

We looked at the Acura line when shopping for an SUV for my wife. Along with many other brands. What I don't get about Honda is their refusal to put engines in their line that make power. Their fuel mileage isn't even all that competitive. Very conservative styling and interiors that are simply bland but functional.

Now this. Has nothing to do with the original Element and its mission. Wasn't all that popular then, but at least those that needed it for what it was good at really had a great vehicle. Why bother calling this the same name. Just call it Gopher and see if it will sell as well as the KIA......

What I don't get about Honda is their refusal to put engines in their line that make power.

Every new car these days should be turbocharged. The downside is minimal.

Johnny J

Oldest son and wife had two Elements - one for commuting and one for his field service business. They were great for NJ weather, short commutes and trips to the shore after which they could be hosed out. Long trips not so much. They traded out for more comfort and space.

For long distance travel the Element can be used like a van. The back seats can be easily removed, and there is enough length for sleeping, And enough height for porta poty use (too much info?).

Johnny J

from the article: ".... discontinued it in 2011. Now, it is ready to come back as 2019 Honda Element. There were few reasons for discontinuation. First of all, sales drop."

Good luck, looks like a Scion XB? Better price that dude with the XB and Soul....

from the article: ".... discontinued it in 2011. Now, it is ready to come back as 2019 Honda Element. There were few reasons for discontinuation. First of all, sales drop."

Good luck, looks like a Scion XB? Better price that dude with the XB and Soul....

With the Elements rear seat configuration, suicide doors (easy entry / access), fold down tailgate (hauling lengthy materials), roof height, etc.; The only thing comparable (that I can think of) is the Ford Transit van. Another huge perk for the element is that it is rated for towing. Many small vans aren't

Johnny J

Oldest son and wife had two Elements - one for commuting and one for his field service business. They were great for NJ weather, short commutes and trips to the shore after which they could be hosed out. Long trips not so much. They traded out for more comfort and space.

For long distance travel the Element can be used like a van. The back seats can be easily removed, and there is enough length for sleeping, And enough height for porta poty use (too much info?).

Johnny J

Agreed, as long as one enjoys long trips in vehicle with the acoustics akin to riding in a 55-gal drum

Definitely a consideration. I wonder if there is any way of improving this?

With the Elements rear seat configuration, suicide doors (easy entry / access), fold down tailgate (hauling lengthy materials), roof height, etc.; The only thing comparable (that I can think of) is the Ford Transit van. Another huge perk for the element is that it is rated for towing. Many small vans aren't

Johnny J

I guess it might be more utilitarian, but I see mostly young girls and hipsters driving them. Not sure if Honda is really after the Ute side of the market. I thought it was the quirky look that sold it.

1500lbs towing on the previous model? I guess its a plus. :dontknow: I don't recall every seeing an Element towing.

Edited by greiffster

Johnny J

I guess it might be more utilitarian, but I see mostly young girls and hipsters driving them. Not sure if Honda is really after the Ute side of the market. I thought it was the quirky look that sold it.

1500lbs towing on the previous model? I guess its a plus. :dontknow: I don't recall every seeing an Element towing.

I was once told by a salesman that the original market target was the young get-out-of-town for the weekend crowd. The adventure types that had full time jobs, but short of cash. The problem was that the car was too ugly for that group, BUT old people loved them; easy in/out, comfortable seat, great 360 degree view (like sitting in a glass box), Honda reliability. And they could care less that it was ugly. I personally believe that its ugliness is now a part of its charm.

Johnny J

Johnny J

I always thought they were cool, but with the rear seats in place there was essentially no cargo room, and we needed both back them. First thing I noticed driving one was how high the back seats were - rear passengers appear to all be six foot four!

Oh - technically, and I mention this only because I love suicide doors, those are carriage doors. Suicide doors open independently. ;)

Edited by szurszewski

Oh - technically, and I mention this only because I love suicide doors, those are carriage doors. Suicide doors open independently. ;)

Carriage doors! Thank you! I'm a trivia guy. I like it when I learn something new.

Johnny J

One reason I started this thread is because I wanted to be educated, and talked into Or talked out of this vehicle.

http://www.landisautos.com/for-sale/22440000/honda/L001293/

I spent several days with my daughter helping her when she was in the market for an Element. She ended up buying a Honda Pilot because the additional space and comfort were more important to her than fuel mileage. She ended up driving the Pilot from the California coast to New York and never regreted her choice. I, on the other hand, have been obsessing over the Element. I would love to have one, but do I really need one?

Johnny J

Edited by JohnnyJ

Johnny J

I was once told by a salesman that the original market target was the young get-out-of-town for the weekend crowd. The adventure types that had full time jobs, but short of cash. The problem was that the car was too ugly for that group, BUT old people loved them; easy in/out, comfortable seat, great 360 degree view (like sitting in a glass box), Honda reliability. And they could care less that it was ugly. I personally believe that its ugliness is now a part of its charm.

Johnny J

It looked like the old ones sat higher than regular cars, which appealed to me as a retirement car. I would rather fall out of my car than have to climb out at my age. But looking at the new ones, they don't look as high as the old ones. I liked the old Ford Rangers ,and the other firms' counterparts, again because they sat higher, and you could get them with a standard cab, you know, two doors only, but they don't make those anymore either. I'm seriously looking at the BMW X4 and the MB GLC Coupe.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't put much stock in the lowered example in the photos of that article that reads like computer-generated SEO-spam. I bet many parts are the same to economize the original tooling.

We LOVED our Element. The E was imminently functional and cool - hosing it out (with water) was a myth but otherwise it's truly a rough-and-tumble dog-friendly adventure-mobile. Plastic interior means I could hose it out with compressed air. Dead-simple, easy maintenance, and reliable. My main complaint was that the rear suspension is under-sprung leading to little actual cargo ability. For all its room, you still couldn't put much in it without overloading the suspension. I slept in it many times comfortably (6'4"). The doors are a bit of a pain unloading kids in parking lots. The only reason I sold my element was that I needed to tow a larger trailer than it could handle. Wish I hadn't sold it now that I have the room for a spare vehicle.

402403095_8od2P-O-XL.jpg

402418027_W9zCF-O-XL.jpg

I didn't know those had a real tailgate.....man, I love a tailgate on an SUV. My old Isuzu Rodeo had one. I didn't realized how useful it was until I replaced it with a Jeep Wrangler that had a swing out tail door that would never stay open when you needed it to.

Same here- my current SUV has a swing away door and I sure miss the tailgate. Many great impromptu picnics were had sitting on the Element tailgate.

Same here- my current SUV has a swing away door and I sure miss the tailgate. Many great impromptu picnics were had sitting on the Element tailgate.

Yes!

And the additional bed length comes in handy for hauling lumber.

Edited by JohnnyJ