IGNORED

Rotating rear shock

twistyguy

Hey guys.

I ride a 2017.5 R1200GS. While cleaning my bike after some rutted dirt road riding, I noticed my rear shock rotates--see the youtube link above. I called my trusted mechanic who recommended I trailer it down to him--he thought it wasn't safe to ride on! Since the bike was under warranty, I got roadside assistance to flatbed it to the dealer. It ends up that it was completely, utterly normal for it to have an inch or two of rotational play. Oh well. Cost me nothing and better safe than sorry. Just thought you might like to know in case you noticed yours rotating--it's normal!

Peter

You should reconsider your trust in your trusted mechanic.

Maybe he's an old school type used to rubber bushings with sleeves tho.

That's what I've been thinking too!

Thanks for posting this Peter. I just checked my GSA's rear shock and it does, as you say, rotate almost an inch or so easily. Since I was unaware of this, I too would have been concerned if noticing this while on a trip! :thumbsup:

I know you have observed many knee replacements, I assume I will not need to be concerned about any free play or rotation of my knee after my surgery next month. :grin:

Bob--rotation of the knee joint DEFINITELY is not normal and I would recommend calling roadside assistance to flatbed yourself back to your orthopedist STAT! ;-)

Peter, when you called me to get the phone number for Roadside Assistance, I briefly thought of mentioning that I had read a long thread on ADVRider all about the free-play in the rear strut. I decided not to, as you seemed to have your hands full at the time. Even if I had, who's to say it was the same issue. Glad you confirmed that everything's "normal".