IGNORED

Start up procedure?

geemunay

This is the first Bmw I've owned and my Honda has an unique style to start her. I am wondering if y'all have a secret technique or utilize the "choke" lever at cold start or even the thumb screw on the right grip?

My procedure:

•Cold start: turn key, wait for a second, kickstand up, clutch in, electric start with some throttle and stay slightly on throttle for thirty seconds or so, then gently down to idle. Idle is good with that start up, but dies quickly if I don't supply the slight throttle immediately at start up.

•Warm start: starts right up no throttle supplied

Is this poor style, okay, or just plain wrong?

Does this indicate a problem?

Thank you for advice,

Gregory

This is the first Bmw I've owned and my Honda has an unique style to start her. I am wondering if y'all have a secret technique or utilize the "choke" lever at cold start or even the thumb screw on the right grip?

My procedure:

•Cold start: turn key, wait for a second, kickstand up, clutch in, electric start with some throttle and stay slightly on throttle for thirty seconds or so, then gently down to idle. Idle is good with that start up, but dies quickly if I don't supply the slight throttle immediately at start up.

•Warm start: starts right up no throttle supplied

Is this poor style, okay, or just plain wrong?

Does this indicate a problem?

Thank you for advice,

Gregory

Morning Gregory

Your technique will work on a cold engine but you really should use the choke (it really isn't a choke though as ALL it is a fast idle device).

To start a moderately cold 1100 engine just snap the choke to the mid position then start engine & AS SOON as it will stay running turn the choke to off.

On a real cold engine or on difficult starting engine push the choke lever to mid position then continue moving the choke lever to ALL THE WAY ON (you will have to manually hold it there as it won't stay all the way on without you holding it there).

If it won't start correctly when using the choke (fast idle lever) per above then you probably need to adjust the choke cable to allow it to open the throttle more when the ckoke lever pushed to on position.

So, the 'Choke' lever is NOT a choke, It is a fast idle lever. It is doing exactly the same as you are.

So cold start, Rotate the 'Fast Idle' lever fully and hold it in the fully operated position. Side stand up, kill switch set to run, bike in neutral. Ignition on. Push the start button. When the bike is running release the fast idle lever and it moves back to the fast idle detent. Once the engine is warm, rotate the fast idle lever to the off position.

When the engine is started from warm, just forget the fast idle lever and hit the start button. You shouldn't really need the throttle.

Start, idle proper rpm's, ride off.

Again, a few weekends spent going over bike, doing maintenance, checking settings/adjustments

will do a lot towards eliminating issues (if any) and getting familiar with the boxer.

Best wishes.

And just to add to that perfectly correct advice there, remember that the bike is air and oil-cooled, so it needs airflow passing over the cylinders and through the oil cooler(s) to operate at the correct temperature and not sweat its b*llocks off.

The Riders's Handbook that should have come with the bike reminds you to ride off as soon as the engine is running nicely. i.e. Don't leave it running for more than a minute or so on tickover whilst stationary as you put on your riding kit. The bike needs to be passing through the air !

Whereas your Honda 600 is water / glycol-cooled like a car and is kept at the correct temperature when stationary by the water pump operating. Old BMW boxer-engined bikes don't have that facility. The latest ones do, though, 2013 onwards.

Welcome to the forum !

AL in s.e. Spain

You guys rock! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!!

I have printed two manuals offline, but I'm still searching for the techdayze manual that I have read about on the forum. All of the links to it are dead

No luck of an owners manual with the bike..

I should have a pdf of that - send me your email and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Or failing that I may be able to find my printed copy (no oilheads in the garage right now) and just send you that.

Edit to add:

I just emailed you either a link or copy of a PDF for what I think you want. ...but I did it via Dropbox from phone and the app has changed a bit since my last use...so....I not think I included a subject and definitely no message. I'll resend in a proper email when I can get my hands on my laptop later.

Edited by szurszewski

Thanks szurszewski. I think that may one of two I have printed. I have the 600 page Bmw one and the "oil head maintenance" one.

Tri750- I will definitely give it a read. Thanks!