IGNORED

Sedici vs Firstgear jacket??

Scarecrow

I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket. It's getting pretty old though and I'm thinking of replacing it. I like the Firstgear for the most part. It kept me dry in downpours and with the liner works well in colder weather. It has a lot of vents, but they tend to close up as the Velcro tends to self-close. Looking at replacing it but I see Firstgear has changed the style. It no longer comes with a liner. That's sort of ok as I can still wear something underneath to take its place. Or just use the liner I have now for that matter. Not sure if it is as waterproof as the older model. And the pockets are very different

I was at a Cyclegear shop and they had a Sedici Avventura jacket that seemed somewhat similar. It comes with a double liner: one waterproof, one for thermal control. Both can be zipped in at the same time, but that seemed bulky. I'm not at all familiar with the brand. Anyone out there use it? Anyone have this model?

The Sedici is less money than the Firstgear, but maybe you get what you pay for.

Cyclegear also carries the Bilt line, which I think is their own brand. Any thoughts on that?

Any advice?

(I could use the pants to go with them as well, but I'll leave that for later. First let me get set with the jacket.)

TIA,

S

The Sedici is less money than the Firstgear, but maybe you get what you pay for.

Cyclegear also carries the Bilt line, which I think is their own brand. Any thoughts on that?

Sedici is also a Cycle Gear house brand, FWIW.

I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket. It's getting pretty old though and I'm thinking of replacing it. I like the Firstgear for the most part. It kept me dry in downpours and with the liner works well in colder weather. It has a lot of vents, but they tend to close up as the Velcro tends to self-close. Looking at replacing it but I see Firstgear has changed the style. It no longer comes with a liner. That's sort of ok as I can still wear something underneath to take its place. Or just use the liner I have now for that matter. Not sure if it is as waterproof as the older model. And the pockets are very different

I was at a Cyclegear shop and they had a Sedici Avventura jacket that seemed somewhat similar. It comes with a double liner: one waterproof, one for thermal control. Both can be zipped in at the same time, but that seemed bulky. I'm not at all familiar with the brand. Anyone out there use it? Anyone have this model?

Any advice?

(I could use the pants to go with them as well, but I'll leave that for later. First let me get set with the jacket.)

TIA,

S

The latest Kiliminjaro I have doesn't use a liner as they use some new technology that keeps you cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

I was skeptical but I can say that I found I'm using my BMW vented jacket less as the Kiliminjaro is pretty comfortable in seriously hot weather. In cold weather I use a heated vest so can't comment too much on what the performance is. Overall, it's a very high quality jacket and their customer service is second to none, IMHO. (Third Kiliminjaro for me).

RPG

The latest Kiliminjaro I have doesn't use a liner as they use some new technology that keeps you cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

I was skeptical but I can say that I found I'm using my BMW vented jacket less as the Kiliminjaro is pretty comfortable in seriously hot weather. In cold weather I use a heated vest so can't comment too much on what the performance is. Overall, it's a very high quality jacket and their customer service is second to none, IMHO. (Third Kiliminjaro for me).

RPG

Thanks. I do like the Kiliminjaro's, I'm on my second one. Both have lasted a lot of years; I just wasn't sure about this latest version since it seems very different than past ones. I don't have a heated vest, but I'm thinking that with just a normal liner (like the one I have with my current jacket) it would be warm enough for the weather I usually ride in.

What about sizing? On the MotorcycleGear site, they mention it being cut large. Do you find that as well?

(As an aside: the first few times I tried getting on this site this morning, I got a "can't connect" message. Was the board having issues this morning?)

Regarding sizing of the 37.5 version of the Kili's, I'd agree that they're cut maybe as much as a half size large. As an example, I usually wear Firstgear's Large Tall and in this jacket LT is very ample - good for layering but not excessively so. Does that help?

Edited by Sailorlite

What you don't know about the Sedici is if it is truly waterproof, if the stitching will hold up, if the zippers will hold up, etc. As you said, you might just get what you pay for, but sometimes, there is a good, and cheaper, option. My personal experience with MC gear has been that cheaper ain't better.

Regarding sizing of the 37.5 version of the Kili's, I'd agree that they're cut maybe as much as a half size large. As an example, I usually wear Firstgear's Large Tall and in this jacket LT is very ample - good for layering but not excessively so. Does that help?

Thank you, that does help a bit. My Kiliminjaro is a Large and I think I may have to go with the Medium. On the MotorcycleGear site they have a chart giving chest and waist measurments versus what the Firstgear chart shows. I'm glad you wrote your findings so I have some confidence it what to order.

What you don't know about the Sedici is if it is truly waterproof, if the stitching will hold up, if the zippers will hold up, etc. As you said, you might just get what you pay for, but sometimes, there is a good, and cheaper, option. My personal experience with MC gear has been that cheaper ain't better.

Thank you; that is why I posted, to get more information. I have found that just because something is less expensive does not necessarily mean it is less quality. Often, yes, but sometimes no. I wanted to see if any one here had direct experience they could share.

RPG

Thanks. I do like the Kiliminjaro's, I'm on my second one. Both have lasted a lot of years; I just wasn't sure about this latest version since it seems very different than past ones. I don't have a heated vest, but I'm thinking that with just a normal liner (like the one I have with my current jacket) it would be warm enough for the weather I usually ride in.

What about sizing? On the MotorcycleGear site, they mention it being cut large. Do you find that as well?

(As an aside: the first few times I tried getting on this site this morning, I got a "can't connect" message. Was the board having issues this morning?)

I find the L size is perfect for my 44 chest, 34 waist. And my North Face thin hiking jacket works well for those cool spring and fall mornings under the Kilimimjaro when I forget to pack the heated vest. Hope that helps.

RPG

I'm unfamiliar with the Sedici branded stuff, but I have used First Gear stuff for 20yrs and have never been disappointed with a purchase (except for one pair of crappy gloves). My fall/winter/spring jacket is one of their Kathmandu models. I never want to wear it above 70 degrees, but it has kept me warm and dry in all day rain on quite a few occasions. I used it for year round commuting duty here in PA for a few years where I was riding 20-25k miles a year. It served me very well. Also have a pair of their Overpants that I would love to retire but there isn't a damn thing wrong with them other than they are black and horribly faded.....i think they have to be at least 15+ yrs old at this point and have well over 100k miles of use on them.

That being said, the BIG selling point for me on FG is that they sell Tall sizes. This is why almost all of my gear ended up being FG or BMW branded. For a long period of time, they were the only ones who sold Tall sizes and thats what fits me best. Most other companies would force me to get a XXL or XXXL jacket in order to get the sleeves long enough, and I would be swimming in fabric around the midsection. FG's XLT is a perfect fit for me. Gotta figure that part out on your own, to see what fits.