IGNORED

Collision and fairing panels

joeb

Well boyz and gurlz, it happened again. Hit a critter at 70mph at night while on an expressway. So far that makes 2 kills, 1 deer and one racoon. The next license i will put on the bike should probably be a hunting license. Think I'll give up night riding. A big racoon ( how big ? At the time it seemed like a VW beetle but it was probably smaller, maybe ) ran across the road and I caught it just behind front wheel. Big bang and bump but managed to hold on tight and plowed on straight ahead . No structural damage but did rip off bottom Tupperware and when it ripped off , unfortunately it took the bottoms of both side panels with it.. $ 3300 damage. Beemerboneyard lists the panels for less than $200 each , but of course they are out of stock for my 03 1150rt Barritz Blue bike. Think I'll secure what's left of my panels and wait for some used replacements. I'm on their wait list but have no idea when and if they will become available. Anyone with a few panels laying around ?? Another option is to not worry about the color and get any panels that may be available , then paint. Any idea on what a good spray job would cost ?? Any great thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Well boyz and gurlz, it happened again. Hit a critter at 70mph at night while on an expressway. So far that makes 2 kills, 1 deer and one racoon. The next license i will put on the bike should probably be a hunting license. Think I'll give up night riding. A big racoon ( how big ? At the time it seemed like a VW beetle but it was probably smaller, maybe ) ran across the road and I caught it just behind front wheel. Big bang and bump but managed to hold on tight and plowed on straight ahead . No structural damage but did rip off bottom Tupperware and when it ripped off , unfortunately it took the bottoms of both side panels with it.. $ 3300 damage. Beemerboneyard lists the panels for less than $200 each , but of course they are out of stock for my 03 1150rt Barritz Blue bike. Think I'll secure what's left of my panels and wait for some used replacements. I'm on their wait list but have no idea when and if they will become available. Anyone with a few panels laying around ?? Another option is to not worry about the color and get any panels that may be available , then paint. Any idea on what a good spray job would cost ?? Any great thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Afternoon joeb

A "good" paint job will cost way more than you will pay for the used Tupperware.

You might try E-Bay for the plastic parts as there is usually some listed on there from time to time.

Glad you're ok.

The used parts can be painted.

We had a deal with local painter who matched BMW colors well, for the times when we needed to fix/redo etc.

You never know until you ask.

Check with dealers in area for suggestions, they may have someone who does this.

Prices might vary, a lot, do some calling around, you'll find someone with bike experience

who may need some work.

Best wishes.

Nice find. The problem with repainting these panels is all the hand work to prep them. All curves and small areas, takes hours to do it right.

Since it seems some decent parts are available, think I'll bide my time and wait for some that are in great shape. With that in mind, think I will patch up the ones on my bike now so they are secure. Thinking of backing the cracked parts and. Cutting off the parts that are flapping in the breeze. Ive used fiberglass cloth and resin in the past with some success but was told that plummers pvc cement and an abs backer bond better. Again, anyone with experience reinforcing ABS panels, please chime in. It is appreciated. Thanks

Since it seems some decent parts are available, think I'll bide my time and wait for some that are in great shape. With that in mind, think I will patch up the ones on my bike now so they are secure. Thinking of backing the cracked parts and. Cutting off the parts that are flapping in the breeze. Ive used fiberglass cloth and resin in the past with some success but was told that plummers pvc cement and an abs backer bond better. Again, anyone with experience reinforcing ABS panels, please chime in. It is appreciated. Thanks

Evening joeb

It is difficult to advise with much helpful info until we understand where the cracking is located.

Try to post some good close up pictures of the damage then we can give you some guidance.

Evening Joeb

You headed this thread as collision.

In most states an animal hit is covered by Comprehensive part of your insurance (ie not an accident)

What Is Covered by Comprehensive Insurance?

Comprehensive helps cover damage to your car that's not the result of a collision, such as:

-Theft

-Vandalism

-Fire

-Natural disasters (like a hurricane or a tornado)

-Falling objects

-Damage done to your car by animals

-A civil disturbance (like a riot that results in damage or destruction of your car)

Hope you found that bastard and made a proper Davy Crockett hat from him :dopeslap:

Glad your alright. Post some before and after once you have her all cleaned up.

My insurance covers it, but I don't think it's worth putting $3300 into it as it has 104,000 miles on it. Put some nice used plastic on it and use some of the money to fix other issues it has or will soon have. Haven't yet decided what i want to do, just considering options right now. But appreciate all the input

Wish I had the advice about the Racoon hat earlier. Made a hat from the deer

Too big and heavy, neck strain. Tried to make a jacket from the Racoon. Way too small. Story of my life, zigging and zagging thru life. Always zigging when i should be zagging

Evening Joeb. You headed this thread as collision. In most states an animal hit is covered by Comprehensive part of your insurance (ie not an accident)

In the UK, they would write your bike off because the cost of the parts outweigh the cost of the bike. The UK insurance company may allow you to buy the bike back off them, but then you have the fact that for the next few years they will penalise you for having made a claim.

Even if you merely reported the issue to the insurance company, you may find that your policy will increase as you are somehow deemed a higher risk!

I only have liability for my bike for this reason. But if I carried coverage on her I would use that for sure! I'm sure your deductible is cheap compared to parts/paint out of pocket.

I printed "how to make fur hats" just in case this happens to me haha

Evening Joeb. You headed this thread as collision. In most states an animal hit is covered by Comprehensive part of your insurance (ie not an accident)

In the UK, they would write your bike off because the cost of the parts outweigh the cost of the bike. The UK insurance company may allow you to buy the bike back off them, but then you have the fact that for the next few years they will penalise you for having made a claim.

Even if you merely reported the issue to the insurance company, you may find that your policy will increase as you are somehow deemed a higher risk!

Afternoon Andy

This would be true if it were a collision claim (basically considered avoidable) but not usually the case with a comprehensive type claim as those are considered non-avoidable. My insurance doesn't even have a deductible for me on animal contact damage.

They sure could total the bike but the pay-out & buy back (or maybe just a check sent to the owner) should be enough to do the repairs yourself & still have money left over.

Progressive insurance valued the bike around $4000, damage estimate around, $3300, the adjuster came out the next day, very easy experience for me. He also said that as I get into tearing bike down , if I find more damage such as bent brackets, just call him and they will adjust the payout.. ive been paying premiums for years with NO claims, so definitely using insurance on this. At least I feel I'm getting my monies worth on the insurance. Very happy with progressive.

The comprehensive (guess I can't call it a collision, although the Racoon begs to differ ) I had with the suicidal rock filled fur ball, has made me rethink my on board kit. In addition to a tire patch kit ,compressor, tools, I now include a skinning knife and a change of underwear.

The comprehensive (guess I can't call it a collision, although the Racoon begs to differ ) I had with the suicidal rock filled fur ball, has made me rethink my on board kit. In addition to a tire patch kit ,compressor, tools, I now include a skinning knife and a change of underwear.

Happy to see that you didn't lose you sense of humor in the collision. Good to hear that things worked out so well with the insurance company.